Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

They are. So, by walking away, rather than being punted, he left $4MM of Kim Pegula's money on the table. St. Doug is nothing if not chivalrous.

I also think I've read that TP was willing to give him an extension -- just not as long as Marrone wanted. So if TP was willing to give him an additional year at, say $5MM -- that's $9MM he left on the table, minus whatever he's getting paid in Jacksonville.

I also think I've read that TP was willing to give him an extension -- just not as long as Marrone wanted. So if TP was willing to give him an additional year at, say $5MM -- that's $9MM he left on the table, minus whatever he's getting paid in Jacksonville.

Good point.

I have a suggestion to fix the Bills franchise QB problem.

Terry, when you read this, please consider the following suggestion:

Hire as consultants Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton and Joe Montana. Have them form a tiger team specifically to evaluate this year's QB draft class. I chose these guys for two reasons. One, I don't think they are tied down to a current 9-5 job. And two, who better to understand what it takes to be a HOF QB than these guys. Have them travel to and interview these kids. Find us the next Tom Brady or Kurt Warner hanging out in the second-fourth rounds. Make the selection of a franchise QB job 1 now that you have settled on a coach and settled for a GM. Cast as wide a net as possible from Texas to the CFL.

Have them evaluate the draft class and bring the scouting staff three names. Draft two of them.

If Tom Brady or Kurt Warner is not hiding in this year's class, have them come back next year and do it again.

Edited by wjag

But you won't know if you have a Brady after one year. And Kelly, Tarkenton and Montana aren't flawless scouts, or scouts at all.

True.. however

Our scouts HAVE demonstrated they don't know a QB when they see one. I would take the advice over three HOF QBS over the scouts that Buffalo has hired.

Seriously????

That is why I want three, to normalize out that ...

I think there's a reasonable chance he was just pandering to the fan base because Tebow was wanted by many at the time, plus Kelly historically publicly loves every crappy QB we roll out. But it did happen.

I'd love to get him off the record to see what he really thinks.

I think there's a reasonable chance he was just pandering to the fan base because Tebow was wanted by many at the time, plus Kelly historically publicly loves every crappy QB we roll out. But it did happen.

I'd love to get him off the record to see what he really thinks.

The Kelly's also pump religion every chance they get, so that likely played a huge role in his Tebow love.

Tarkenton would have fixed that.

Maybe. Good players don't always make good managers/consultants. Things like what you're suggesting don't happen (probably for good reason).

It's kind of like whistling. I can whistle with the best of em. I have no clue how to teach somebkdy how to whistle that doesn't know and it's confusing to me that certain people can and others can't.

Edited by Tank

Maybe. Good players don't always make good managers/consultants. Things like what you're suggesting don't happen (probably for good reason).

It's kind of like whistling. I can whistle with the best of em. I have no clue how to teach somebkdy how to whistle that doesn't know and it's confusing to me that certain people can and others can't.

I chose my list carefully. If you have ever heard Fran Tarkenton talk about what characteristics it takes to be a good QB, he leaves you with a distinct impression he knows who has "it" and who doesn't. Kelly knows the Bills, Buffalo and the weather. Montana knows what it is like to be under appreciated when he came out and turned out to be one of the greatest QBs of all time.

True.. however

Our scouts HAVE demonstrated they don't know a QB when they see one. I would take the advice over three HOF QBS over the scouts that Buffalo has hired.

If there was a way to know for sure, it would have been developed years ago. Bill Walsh thought Trent Edwards would be a star and was one of 32 guys who passed on Tom Brady 5 times and one of 9 guys who drafted another QB that year before Brady was drafted. Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick, Russel Wilson a third round pick. The list goes on and on.

If there was a QB whisperer, he would be pulling down millions per year as a consultant.

If there was a way to know for sure, it would have been developed years ago. Bill Walsh thought Trent Edwards would be a star and was one of 32 guys who passed on Tom Brady 5 times and one of 9 guys who drafted another QB that year before Brady was drafted. Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick, Russel Wilson a third round pick. The list goes on and on.

If there was a QB whisperer, he would be pulling down millions per year as a consultant.

I'm not disputing that. All I know is what Buffalo has done has failed since 1986. They have to try something different.

We drafted EJ Manuel in round 1.... our QB scouts are ###### idiots.

We took a calculated risk on the best physical prospect in a QB-weak draft -- a time where Buddy Nix was surreptitiously recorded saying to another league exec it was a "bad time to need" a QB.

So, yes - those scouts and execs are all idiots. :huh:

At least for me, QB is by far the hardest to identify coming out of college.

I go back to JP Losman and Trent Edwards. I was convinced Edwards would be as good as Fergy by the end of it. JP was a tool, nice kid, but people fell in love with his skill. He could move, and he had a stronger arm than Kelly. I saw him throw 50 yard perfect spirals into a 30MPH wind at The Ralph on a December afternoon. No wonder they bit.

At least for me, QB is by far the hardest to identify coming out of college.

I think that's true in general. This season's Super Bowl offers a strange case study, a third-rounder and a sixth-rounder.

It occurs to me: Do lower-round guys more commonly become elite players in the NFL than they do in the NHL? Sorta seems maybe that's the case. Or perhaps this year's SB is just skewing my perspective.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.