Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

• 5 months later...

SOLO.

Pretty good! He felt like Han, or as least as much like Han as he could when he's not played by Harrison Ford. Glover was great as Lando. Emilia Clark was better here than she is in GoT. Ron Howard really pulled out a good Star Wars movie from the pile of trash that production had become.

SOLO.

Pretty good! He felt like Han, or as least as much like Han as he could when he's not played by Harrison Ford. Glover was great as Lando. Emilia Clark was better here than she is in GoT. Ron Howard really pulled out a good Star Wars movie from the pile of trash that production had become.

:thumbsup: Glad to hear that.  Going to see it tomorrow.  Had high hopes Howard would be able to clean things up.  

SOLO.

Going Sunday but this has me optimistic.  I'm hoping for a space adventure movie that's actually fun since they went all in on making Star Wars dour in the last two attempts.

SOLO.

My Star Wars obsessed coworker went in with low expectations and said it was his favorite new SW movie. Had a lot of fun. He and I tend to agree on the newer flicks opinion wise, so I trust his judgement. 

Looking forward to it now. 

Honestly I'm just here for DonGlover. 

Going Sunday but this has me optimistic.  I'm hoping for a space adventure movie that's actually fun since they went all in on making Star Wars dour in the last two attempts.

I loved Rouge One because it felt like it had real stakes. I think they tried to replicate that with the The Last Jedi and...whiffed. I still think TLJ was fine, but its the weakest of the Disney SW films for sure.

SOLO was fun and funny, but the humor in it didn't feel forced. It was much more space adventure than space opera, which I think is a good thing for it. And they didn't try to over nostalgia fill it either.

My Star Wars obsessed coworker went in with low expectations and said it was his favorite new SW movie. Had a lot of fun. He and I tend to agree on the newer flicks opinion wise, so I trust his judgement. 

Looking forward to it now. 

Honestly I'm just here for DonGlover. 

#dongloverforever. He really was the only choice to be Lando.

Edited by sabills

I really enjoyed Solo, I like to see where the directors want to take various stories that have not been told in the Star Wars Universe.

Dark and Josie, I walked right by both of you at the Maple Ridge yesterday. I haven’t figured out a non awkward way to say hello, I know you from the internet as of yet.

I really enjoyed Solo, I like to see where the directors want to take various stories that have not been told in the Star Wars Universe.

Dark and Josie, I walked right by both of you at the Maple Ridge yesterday. I haven’t figured out a non awkward way to say hello, I know you from the internet as of yet.

Haha dammit dude!

It was really fun!  The plot moved fast (I have no idea where the complaint about the first act being slow came from) and I liked that they played Han as clever but also cocky and in way over his head.  It would have been easy to do this as a gritty origin story where Han is a total badass but I thought the lighter tone helped.  I'm also really glad they finally made a SW movie that wasn't all about lightsabers or super weapons (even if they hedged their bet at the end by jamming a cameo in at the very end).

Other stuff:

The space train robbery was awesome and more of what I'd want out of new movies (i.e. actual inventive actions scenes that aren't remakes of original trilogy battles)

They're doing an awesome job with character design (Lady Proxima, Enfys Nest, even Dryden Vos' scars)

The humor was really well done (e.g. the Falcon flying away in the distance right when Han is making a point)

My big complaint is that Star Wars suddenly has a villain problem.  It's been four movies and they haven't introduced any new villain that was memorable or that you really wanted to see get their comeuppance.  I guess Kylo Ren, but I think we're all just waiting for him to redeem himself versus hoping one of the heroes finally kills him.  

• 4 years later...

Absolutely loved the Obi Wan Kenobi series.  Really great in terms of depicting the love-hate relationship between Vader and Obi Wan.  The fight in episode 6 is one of the better fights in the entire Star Wars franchise.  

And as usual, Ewan McGregor’s performance as Obi Wan was fantastic.  

Have high hopes a season 2 is made.  

13 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Absolutely loved the Obi Wan Kenobi series.  Really great in terms of depicting the love-hate relationship between Vader and Obi Wan.  The fight in episode 6 is one of the better fights in the entire Star Wars franchise.  

And as usual, Ewan McGregor’s performance as Obi Wan was fantastic.  

Have high hopes a season 2 is made.  

I was 10 when Star Wars showed up in theaters and became a sensation. I’m still a sucker for Star Wars live action stuff.  

I enjoyed the Obi Wan Kenobi series.  And I agree, that episode 6 fight was terrific.  The series made up for the disappointing Boba Fett series.  And now I anxiously await the next season of The Mandalorian.

• Like (+1) 1

The Obi-Wan Kenobi Showbi was fun. It does cause a bit of a character issue for Leia. Luke is all mopey and she gives him a blanket --- but her planet just was blown up, she was tortured, and her super-companion has just self-sacrificed and disappeared! --- she's completely emotionless. 

That said, the show did have oodles of one of my favorite goofy film tropes: little kids running (and really, just jogging so they can stay cleanly in the camera shot, stopping and turning and looking back) and managing to easily outrun full-grown adults).

Edited by DarthEbriate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.