Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

2 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Again i say the issues of the prequels was not about being kid friendly. It was being the singular vision of Lucas. The man had a 22 year gap in directing movies and he has never been a good director.

I agreed with you. And a big part of his vision was going more kid friendly. 

6 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Again i say the issues of the prequels was not about being kid friendly. It was being the singular vision of Lucas. The man had a 22 year gap in directing movies and he has never been a good director.

Of the prequels... it should be noted that 1) Anakin was written as about 12-13 (thus closer to Amidala's age and not a little kid) and 2) Spielberg could have directed but didn't push for it. Those two items (plus Spielberg's crew making script adjustments) would have changed it tremendously. The concept was good, the execution was not. And that's on the director/producer.

• 5 months later...

Okay, SDS we have 1 topic on Star Wars and it is an off topic thing so I am coming back to it because Andor just came out and I don't think Andor deserves a new star wars thread because this is the catch all for that off topic discussion. 

That said... 

Andor is the BEST thing Star Wars has done since Rogue One and the best live action Star Wars show, period. It is deep, the characters are complex, it is well written, actions have consequences, and the detail and acting is superb. The Empire doesn't seem like a bunch of morons who can't hit the broad side of a bantha at 5feet but a nefarious and overtly authoritarian hellscape that they should be. They are space Nazis and act like it. The main character isn't the most exciting person in Star Wars, he doesn't have the force and he isnt some noble hero. He is a guy trying to get through life and crap goes sideways. The side characters add depth, the environments are amazing (it was filmed on locations and not in a green room!). The storyline is great as you are never quite sure who is up to what at times. 

Watch Andor. Stellan Skarsgard is fantastic in it and the best addition to Star Wars since Chewbacca. Mom Mothma getting explored as a character is brilliant. The bureaucracy of the empire is even interesting! Is this show perfect? No but it is better than Mandolorian and makes Bobba Fett looked like filler bs. Andor moves slow at times as it is basically 9 episodes with 3 arcs. That said it builds tension, has real stakes, and above all else takes the world it exists in seriously but still has some fun. It isn't filled with gratuitous cameos that don't make sense or forced dialog to explain other star wars stuff going on. 

I haven't loved the Star Wars Universe in years because it became a shoddily written money grab with low stakes, overpowered hero's, lacked setup and payoff, had little tension, and was overall a mess with conflicting storylines and terrible writing. Andor... good lord they start making more things like Andor and I am in. 

Spoilers

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Funny you mentioned this … I just started watching Andor and I’m only 3 episodes in. It’s very good so far. Probably watch more tonight.

It's good all the way through. A couple of slower episodes but they aren't wasted, they do build up to stuff. 

TLJ is the best Star Wars release, period, never mind just Disney sw but, yes have only heard good things about Andor. The tv stuff doesn’t do it as much for me as I’m a film buff through and through but I really should give it a go 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

TLJ is the best Star Wars release, period, never mind just Disney sw but, yes have only heard good things about Andor. The tv stuff doesn’t do it as much for me as I’m a film buff through and through but I really should give it a go 

TLJ was the worst, sorry. It doesn’t tonally fit with the rest of the films and takes a chainsaw to the lord for no good reason. It felt like a movie created by someone who hated Star Wars but wanted to use its characters to push some “agenda”

Loved Andor, it’s slower but feels like a war/political drama which works well with Rogue One’s appeal as well. It’s the Star Wars universe but has a different feel than the original 6 movies.

Mando is also very fun but after an awesome 1st season felt a bit less character driven than being forced into a box to fit some manner of explaining the Sequel Trilogy. Like why did Luke have to give Grogu an ultimatum?

Boba was the weakest of the series which was very disappointing. It had some interesting ideas but turned Boba a bit too soft; he can be a great Antihero without being milk toast or endless rage. Plus while Robert Rodriguez is a very good at creating interesting visuals; he made it far to Spy Kids style for most

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

TLJ was the worst, sorry. It doesn’t tonally fit with the rest of the films and takes a chainsaw to the lord for no good reason. It felt like a movie created by someone who hated Star Wars but wanted to use its characters to push some “agenda”

Loved Andor, it’s slower but feels like a war/political drama which works well with Rogue One’s appeal as well. It’s the Star Wars universe but has a different feel than the original 6 movies.

Mando is also very fun but after an awesome 1st season felt a bit less character driven than being forced into a box to fit some manner of explaining the Sequel Trilogy. Like why did Luke have to give Grogu an ultimatum?

Boba was the weakest of the series which was very disappointing. It had some interesting ideas but turned Boba a bit too soft; he can be a great Antihero without being milk toast or endless rage. Plus while Robert Rodriguez is a very good at creating interesting visuals; he made it far to Spy Kids style for most

“Darkness rises, and light to meet it.”

Haha, ya I understand TLJ is so divisive that praise of it will be met with immediate, opposite but equal scorn, and scorn will be met with equal but opposite praise. Totally just one of those things. 

I guess I just do not agree with your comment on tone, lore, or agenda. In fact I disagree strongly within the context of what I love about the Star Wars stories and it’s characters but this is so wildly subjective clearly that I don’t know if it’s worth rehashing in detail. I would answer specific challenges directed my way but couldn’t know where to start in explaining why I think it gives a triumphant, rousing end to Luke’s arc. But I do digress. Your take on that stuff as a fan is of course equally valid

I will say I tend to also focus on the films from a filmic background / point of view, I guess cause I didn’t grow up being a fan of the movies (not that you don’t (there’s subjectivity in film analysis, anyways, obviously)). But I think Rian is a brilliant director. The technical aspects of the movie are superb. Cinematography is stunning. The performances are in another *galaxy* relative to the OT. Say, Hamill’s. Regardless of anything you think about the film, there’s no denying Mark’s work is his best, bar none, in the saga. 

But it’s mostly the story, for me, honestly. Luke, at the beginning of the film, laughing off, with bitterness, the idea he can be a “legend” while staring down the entire first order with a lightsaber...then doing *exactly that*, in the climax...

the shot of him winking at c-3po before marching out through the smoke, mist, rousing John Williams musical accompaniment, and light, is *CHILLS INDUCING.*

Legend, indeed. Luke, Rian..take your pick. 

I love the film. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.