Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

Headed to the 10pm showing in a little bit. And I get to go all by myself! Yes! I'm bringing a beer or 2, some slim Jim's, and I'll have to check the snack cupboard for something sweet. I love going to the movies by myself! Zero people will be asking me stupid ###### questions during the movie.

:lol:

I was turning in some license plates at the Eastern Hills Mall DMV drop box tonight and it's right next to the theatre. Almost walked in and saw it again by myself.

Headed to the 10pm showing in a little bit. And I get to go all by myself! Yes! I'm bringing a beer or 2, some slim Jim's, and I'll have to check the snack cupboard for something sweet. I love going to the movies by myself! Zero people will be asking me stupid ###### questions during the movie.

I quickly read your post and thought you were bringing in Jim's Steakout to the movies. Bold move Cotton.

First third was a little slow for me - so many new characters with weird names to remember, and bouncing around to SO many different planets/locales. 

After that it was fine.  And that ending, my god.

The final 5 minutes where Vader was boarding the rebel ship and unleashing force-hell on the poor rebel bastards in his way was just spectacular.  And it's pure genius how the writers tied it directly into the very beginning of IV.  Bravo. 

Can we move this thread somewhere else please?  

I haven't seen the movie yet and everytime I want to talk Sabres this thread is staring me in the face and I have to make the life-changing decision of clicking on the link or leaving it be.

I haven't seen the movie yet and everytime I want to talk Sabres this thread is staring me in the face and I have to make the life-changing decision of clicking on the link or leaving it be.

Fear not. I think the prevailing thought here is that we are going to use the spoiler boxes until at least Christmas, right? You're probably good until next week.

Serious question is it possible to place an entire thread on ignore?

I saw Rogue one last week. I thought it was a very good movie, by far better than last years effort "the Force Awakens"

The force Awakens felt fake to me, felt like they were shoving Jedi Powers down my throat, and had too much stuff that just 'didn't make sense'.  While Rogue one (as a science fiction movie) has a lot of the plot that isn't feasible in the real world, I felt drawn into it a lot more than the Force Awakens.

Interesting idea I came across on the internet.  Ren has to complete his training, correct?  It's looking like Episode 8 will have a lot in common with Episode 5.  Will Ren head to Mustufar to complete his training?  Ren already dresses like Vader, and he also wants his light Saber.  So why not train at a place Vader spent a lot of time at?  Something to consider. 

And another idea to consider.  Is Snoke actually Sidious? I'd prefer Plagueis, but there's no telling where Disney is going with all of this. And that is pure awesomeness. 

And after all of this talk about Star Wars, I need to have a marathon tomorrow. Yes, Episodes 1 - 7. Not leaving any out. 

Edited by GoPre

There were several good things about this movie, but my favorite bit of it was this.

They actually gave PLAUSIBLE reasons for items such as the Death Star having a cartoonishly absurb fatal flaw. They actually made some of Lucas' 'well, it's just a comic book' stuff still comic bookish, but now at least not from a BAD comic book.

Just my 2 cents.

There were several good things about this movie, but my favorite bit of it was this.

They actually gave PLAUSIBLE reasons for items such as the Death Star having a cartoonishly absurb fatal flaw. They actually made some of Lucas' 'well, it's just a comic book' stuff still comic bookish, but now at least not from a BAD comic book.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed!   :thumbsup:

To this day, I think my favorite part of any of the scores is the music from the Asteroid Field chase in Empire Strikes Back. 

Agreed. All the many motifs and themes are amazing, but for an extended sequence, this wins.

What didn't win? Too much fan service in Rogue One.

If they really needed to shoehorn 3PO and R2 into the movie, then have Captain Antilles walk past them on Tantive IV at the end. 3PO didn't need lines. (Rebels fans got to see Chopper and the Ghost make unobtrusive cameos). I also don't like Walrus Man and the Doctor on Jehda... just forced and took me out of the story for a moment.

All-in-all though, it was a decent effort. They took a lot of chances (content, tone, and CGI peoples), and for the most part it worked and was an entertaining 2 hours. More entertaining than recent Sabres games.

I did love the

Garven Dreis and Jon Hutch/Dutch Vander found footage and their inclusion. That's how you incorporate fan service well. It made sense story-wise. It gave the old-timer fans like me a fist-pump moment. Also it was clever to eliminate Blue Squadron before the Battle of Yavin (as opposed to just not being able to film them because of blue screen technologies at the time.

One thing I really loved -- the Star Destroyers being digitally re-created from the original models, including the model pieces. When the one destroyer breaks, it breaks into plastic model pieces like if they dropped the model on the floor. Did it look like a ship explosion in space? No. But it made sense to my modeler's brain.

I'm OK with Vader's pun. It's no different than him being quippy in Empire. He's a bad dad; he makes bad dad jokes.

And then, finally, Y-wings do something. My favorite cool ships score a line of hits and neutralize the Star Destroyer. And then ... then they completely undo the Y-wings' efforts and make it all about the Hammerhead cruiser taking out both destroyers. Is the hammerhead a tug? Is it designed to push something so much larger than it? Did that entire hammerhead get destroyed or the entire crew sacrificed to push the destroyer into the shield? I...  I was OK with pushing one destroyer -- maybe a handful of Rebel ships get into position -- hammerheads and gallofrees -- and push the damaged destroyer. But the plucky hammerhead takes out both destroyers and the shield by acting as a tugboat? Stop upstaging the Y-wing! Let the Y-wing shine for once! punks.

Oh, and instead of bouncing around planets so much at the beginning, they could have spent a little bit more time with Andor and Jyn. I think the filmmakers had one too many team members in their platoon. Especially when also needing to focus on Krennic, Tarkin, and Vader. I didn't feel enough when they all ate it at the end. Also, they all died too close together in movie time. Drama and tension were lost quite quickly. I wanted to feel more.

Music was good, but no John Williams. The music over-emphasized things; something early Williams (SW, Empire) was very good at being restrained for the small dialogue twists -- while still hitting all the really big moments with the epic fanfares.

Saw it today, liked it. Fun but unspectacular action movie...sorta like the entire series...

*ducks*

Agree, Saw it today action good, story line a bit redundant... meh.

BTW saw my first Star Wars.. 1977, almost 40 years ago when I was in 7th grade, the same grade as my current 12 year old son... neat.

Edited by North Buffalo

Just my 2 cents.

Yep this is the biggest thing that Rogue One accomplished for me, is justifying that maddening plot hole in the later movies. That and the seamless transition into A New Hope.

The movie just tried too hard to be funny, and it was terrible. K2 is easily the 2nd worst character in any of the movies, and the female leads acting is just abysmal

I'm not so sure about that. In all the Star Wars movies, the ancillary characters - specifically droids, act as the comic relief and break the tension and weight of the universe around them. I didn't think K20 was any different than C3PO was in the legacy movies, making snarky quips in response to the orders of their "master".

Also, as others have mentioned, I personally liked the heaviness of this being more of a pure war movie and having everyone die and sacrifice themselves for a greater cause made sense given the overwhelming odds. I always hate movies where the main protagonist is able to gun down multiple baddies without so much as a scratch. Those scenarios always ring hollow to me. Rogue One the rebels were able to do most of their infiltration through sneaking and once they were discovered were swiftly mowed down by the overwhelming troop support and weaponry of an Empire stronghold. There is no way anyone should have survived that scenario on the Rebel side - which they didn't

Yep this is the biggest thing that Rogue One accomplished for me, is justifying that maddening plot hole in the later movies. That and the seamless transition into A New Hope.

I'm not so sure about that. In all the Star Wars movies, the ancillary characters - specifically droids, act as the comic relief and break the tension and weight of the universe around them. I didn't think K20 was any different than C3PO was in the legacy movies, making snarky quips in response to the orders of their "master".

Also, as others have mentioned, I personally liked the heaviness of this being more of a pure war movie and having everyone die and sacrifice themselves for a greater cause made sense given the overwhelming odds. I always hate movies where the main protagonist is able to gun down multiple baddies without so much as a scratch. Those scenarios always ring hollow to me. Rogue One the rebels were able to do most of their infiltration through sneaking and once they were discovered were swiftly mowed down by the overwhelming troop support and weaponry of an Empire stronghold. There is no way anyone should have survived that scenario on the Rebel side - which they didn't

I'm with you on the comedic relief stuff being fine. I mean, that's the only reason anyone sees any of the Marvel movies right now, right? The original Star Wars movies were campy that was too. That complaint falls flat for me, because in my mind the humor, especially in the face of dark situations, is especially humanizing. I tend to resort to humor as a coping mechanism. I like to thinks that's what a lot of the characters in Star Wars movies are doing too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.