Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

Meh. Just a teaser so nothing special.

I had the complete opposite reaction. I stopped caring about this franchise over ten years ago after Episode II when it was clear the prequels would have zero plot and the characters would all be fairly robotic and one-dimensional. The prequels were so bad that I was less interested in the originals and didn't even care when the new ones were announced.

This teaser, with roughly ~1 minute of actual footage, actually got me pumped up for Star Wars again. There's some actual energy and urgency to these shots and it looks like they've recreated the "lived in" feel of the planets from the original trilogy. We see a dozen stormtroopers (i.e. actors in suits) going into battle and it's more exciting in those couple seconds than ALL of the footage of the bazillion CGI clone troopers we saw in the prequels.

I'm actually excited about this now; I didn't think I would be.

I have mixed feelings thus far. The universe looks right, the stormtroopers look kickass, and seeing another Sith is always cool. But the Millennium Falcon shot didn't feel like Star Wars, to much like Star Trek. Too many lenses flares and the like. Aside from that, the Stormtrooper guns seem overly detailed; one of the best parts of Star Wars was the guns were simple and looked enough like guns to feel gun-like but not overly detailed.

I had the complete opposite reaction. I stopped caring about this franchise over ten years ago after Episode II when it was clear the prequels would have zero plot and the characters would all be fairly robotic and one-dimensional. The prequels were so bad that I was less interested in the originals and didn't even care when the new ones were announced.

This teaser, with roughly ~1 minute of actual footage, actually got me pumped up for Star Wars again. There's some actual energy and urgency to these shots and it looks like they've recreated the "lived in" feel of the planets from the original trilogy. We see a dozen stormtroopers (i.e. actors in suits) going into battle and it's more exciting in those couple seconds than ALL of the footage of the bazillion CGI clone troopers we saw in the prequels.

This is exactly how I feel. I have always been a huge Star Wars Fan, but was meh about Star Trek. Watching JJ Abrams's reboot got me hooked. Now I cannot wait to see what he does with Star Wars.

To be fair though, any CGI that they will be using in the movie probably isn't completed yet. So they're only going to have the live action stuff to work with in a teaser.

To be fair though, any CGI that they will be using in the movie probably isn't completed yet. So they're only going to have the live action stuff to work with in a teaser.

Yes and no. This far out, most of the visual effects aren't done, but they'd still be far enough along that you'd have some choice stuff to include in the trailer. Plus lots of trailers (especially teasers) feature effects shots that aren't 100% complete anyway. (The famous White House shot in Independence Day changed from teaser to final release.) And this teaser still had a bunch of CGI.

What's resonating with me is *how* these shots look. The first thing we see is John Boyega sweaty and out of breath. I can't remember if anyone was sweaty and out of breath in the prequels (maybe Episode III?). The girl (Daisy Ridley, I'm Googling all these names now) jumping on the speeder reminds me of Luke jumping in is speeder to get home in the original when he realizes where the Empire would track the droids. Lastly, those shaky shots of the Stormtroopers going into battle. All of the armies and battles in the prequels were so sterile and dull; they didn't even *try* to make them look that intense.

Edited by Robviously

I can't wait, plain and simple. I was raised on the original trilogy trilogy by my dad, geeked over the prequals as a kid (although now i can see the fault that so many do with them) and i cannot wait to see where this franchise goes next. The falcon has never looked better, and the shot of the X-wings over the water?? Mr. Abrams, you had my curiosity, but now you have my full attention.

Yes and no. This far out, most of the visual effects aren't done, but they'd still be far enough along that you'd have some choice stuff to include in the trailer. Plus lots of trailers (especially teasers) feature effects shots that aren't 100% complete anyway. (The famous White House shot in Independence Day changed from teaser to final release.) And this teaser still had a bunch of CGI.

What's resonating with me is *how* these shots look. The first thing we see is John Boyega sweaty and out of breath. I can't remember if anyone was sweaty and out of breath in the prequels (maybe Episode III?). The girl (Daisy Ridley, I'm Googling all these names now) jumping on the speeder reminds me of Luke jumping in is speeder to get home in the original when he realizes where the Empire would track the droids. Lastly, those shaky shots of the Stormtroopers going into battle. All of the armies and battles in the prequels were so sterile and dull; they didn't even *try* to make them look that intense.

If Abrams and Disney can succeed in removing the stench of George Lucas from this film they will have a huge moneymaker on their hands and a rejuvenated fan base like no one has ever seen.

The next step should be a re-release of the 1996 Trilogy version. I and many other fans consider those to be the best version of the original three. And I'd love to have them on something other than VHS.

What's resonating with me is *how* these shots look. The first thing we see is John Boyega sweaty and out of breath. I can't remember if anyone was sweaty and out of breath in the prequels (maybe Episode III?).

The prequels were all shot on a green screen so no one ever could even run. If this one sucks, it will officially kill Star Wars.

It's fitting that the most overhyped movie franchise of all time gets a fresh trailer on the most overhyped day of all time.

I like Star Wars and all, I just think it gets way too much attention/hype.

I think people close to my age 35-45 demographic, have star wars woven into our fabric from childhood.

Whatever the last trilogy was called, I could hardly pay attention. Jedi started so great and ended with... Ewoks. Sigh...

Lucas so desperately wanted to keep the kid element, he nearly killed the series with Jar Jar.

Empire really had it moving in the right direction, it was dark, seedy and tough. I think they get back to that atmosphere.

I'm extremely pumped but I didn't think that was fantastic or anything. Good for a teaser.

I do agree that what Abrams did with Star Trek has me all kinds of excited to see what he does with Star Wars.

I think that his style is much more suited to Star Wars. IMO, he can stay the ###### away from Star Trek. Main stream science fiction can still be a thing, right?!?!

There was so much hype for this trailer that my dad thought the movie was about to come out.

I'm extremely pumped but I didn't think that was fantastic or anything. Good for a teaser.

I do agree that what Abrams did with Star Trek has me all kinds of excited to see what he does with Star Wars.

Was very excited when Abrams decided to direct Episode 7. Have enjoyed a lot of his movies. Too bad Abrams has already said he won't be directing Episode 8. I believe the director of Toy Story 3 will be doing that. The teaser trailer has me wishing it was already December 2015.

Edited by thanes16

I've never really seen Episodes 2 and 3. I had 2 (I think) on one night while I was cooking; I was only paying half attention and it still annoyed me. There's 10 minutes of Anakin flying around in a speeder with Obi-wan (if I remember right) with him quipping while flying. No other story, didn't seem to relate to the plot, just commuting to the next plot-location making stupid comments every 30 seconds. I turned if off at that point.

When I go back and watch the original its almost laughable how cheezy the effects seem now. Cutting edge back then but so japanese monster movie looking now. Loved it as a kid but find it hard to get excited now.

I like how cheesy the old ones are. Sign of the times. Hell there was only supposed to be one movie. They never expected the first one to do so well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.