Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

I'm not so sure there won't be a Sith revealed in the movies to come. The Sith had large numbers during the time of the old republic. Darth Bane hated the infighting and felt the tendancy of younger weaker apprentices to gang up on a stronger master to defeat him made the whole order weak. He basically tricked the remaining Sith to wipe themselves out using the "thought bomb" intended to annihilate the Jedi. Bane then instiuted the Rule of Two. A master to wield the power and an apprentice to crave it. Now that I think of it, Bane's time was a thousand years ago and Snoke is rumored to be a thousand years old....?

I'm not so sure there won't be a Sith revealed in the movies to come. The Sith had large numbers during the time of the old republic. Darth Bane hated the infighting and felt the tendancy of younger weaker apprentices to gang up on a stronger master to defeat him made the whole order weak. He basically tricked the remaining Sith to wipe themselves out using the "thought bomb" intended to annihilate the Jedi. Bane then instiuted the Rule of Two. A master to wield the power and an apprentice to crave it. Now that I think of it, Bane's time was a thousand years ago and Snoke is rumored to be a thousand years old....?

Yeah, there are more than one former Sith Master that might make sense as Snoke.......

I just can't see the similarities between Snoke's theme and the music playing when Palpatine speaks to Anakin about Plagueis as a coincidence. They're basically identical except for a pitch or two. And the specific references to Snoke being wise again harkens very specifically to Plagueis. I can't see them making such obvious references if that wasn't the route they're going.

Edited by clintwestwood

I just can't see the similarities between Snoke's theme and the music playing when Palpatine speaks to Anakin about Plagueis as a coincidence. They're basically identical except for a pitch or two. And the specific references to Snoke being wise again harkens very specifically to Plagueis. I can't see them making such obvious references if that wasn't they route they're going.

I agree, I think Plagueis is the most likely identity for Snoke.

I saw a couple people mentioning Rian Johnson up-thread. Dude is a fantastic director. He made Brick and The Brothers Bloom, two excellent movies. He also made Looper which I haven't seen.

He directed Ozymandias and Fly, two of my top 5 Breaking Bad episodes. (Also directed season 5 episode 4 "Fifty One")

He's much more visually interesting than JJ, to my eye.

I really don't understand how a movie that was meant to advance a story line gets a free pass from so many people with the rehashed story lines. There's a difference between a nod to the original trilogy and we can't think of anything else, so let's just repeat it.

The Empire searching again for a droid that contains valuable info?

Two ultimate death weapons that both have a single point failure that require x-wing fighters to attack that one point, but only after our band of heroes disable the shields?

Seriously?

I thought the movie lacked the quiet time that develops characters, like Luke and Ben in the cave in IV or Luke and Yoda in V.

Until I read a few pages here, I was pretty disappointed/sad about the Ren and Rey battle. That she was able to kick his ass like that really turned me off given how much emphasis Jedi training had in all the other movies. I know have hope this is possibly justified. Thanks for giving me new hope.

It wasn't terrible. The dialog was decent and the cinematography was excellent. Saw it in 3D. Would like to see it 2D again.

I really don't understand how a movie that was meant to advance a story line gets a free pass from so many people with the rehashed story lines. There's a difference between a nod to the original trilogy and we can't think of anything else, so let's just repeat it.

The Empire searching again for a droid that contains valuable info?

Two ultimate death weapons that both have a single point failure that require x-wing fighters to attack that one point, but only after our band of heroes disable the shields?

Seriously?

I thought the movie lacked the quiet time that develops characters, like Luke and Ben in the cave in IV or Luke and Yoda in V.

Until I read a few pages here, I was pretty disappointed/sad about the Ren and Rey battle. That she was able to kick his ass like that really turned me off given how much emphasis Jedi training had in all the other movies. I know have hope this is possibly justified. Thanks for giving me new hope.

It wasn't terrible. The dialog was decent and the cinematography was excellent. Saw it in 3D. Would like to see it 2D again.

I agree about the recycled plot, it was mediocre. Reminded me a bit of when everyone was going on about how great avatar was. That movie was the exact same plot as dances with wolves. I know other movies recycle plot but when it is just so blatant, it is annoying. I enjoyed the Force Awakens but it didn't cover new ground.  I hope they pull out something new for the next movie.

Edited by LGR4GM

A funny read regarding some of the inconsistencies in Stars War: The Force Awakens, As It Did In The First Movie ;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/40-unforgivable-plot-holes-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens_b_8850324.html

Only a few of those are real plot holes. Some of these are easily explained, and some are intentional plot holes, like asking how Han lost the Falcon, that will probably be explained later. Such is the nature of a trilogy.

Also, number ten shows that they have no real concept of the vastness of space and perspective.

Edited by sodbuster

Only a few of those are real plot holes. Some of these are easily explained, and some are intentional plot holes, like asking how Han lost the Falcon, that will probably be explained later. Such is the nature of a trilogy.

Also, number ten shows that they have no real concept of the vastness of space and perspective.

Yeah I read that article this morning and to me the author only had legitimate gripes for 4 or 5 of them. The rest are either incredibly minor or the result of the trilogy. 

Lazy click-bait article IMO.

Saw the film in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia at the Sunway Pyramid mall at Christmas . Imax in 3-D. Thought it was great. I'm no HUGE Star Wars fan and have prolly missed the last 3 or more so even as a stand alone not knowing too much of the story it felt good. Came away having been entertained which is all I ask for.

If I were inclined to write a review...nay, an article...about the new Star Wars, this would be it - word for word.  This is perfect.  The reading of this article ought to pretty much end the discussion in this thread. 

After reading that response, and some other fan theories out there, I think I'm beginning to get a better view of Rey's character. I came out of the theater thinking "oh, she's somebody's daughter, probably luke's", but I like the theory that she was one of Luke's apprentices much better. I have to see the movie again to remember some stuff better, but I think it makes a lot more sense. Kylo Ben goes all darkside, kills most of the apprentices, Luke manages to save one and hide her on Jakku, then go into hiding himself. The big issue is that she would probably remember that, so we'd need some sort of contrived memory wipe device to make that possible. Might be possible to make that a Force power, I suppose.

One theory also had her as Obi Wan reborn, but I'm not a fan of that one as much.

I really didn't like the movie too much.  Was it entertaining? Sure...but WAY too many plot holes and we left the theater thinking saying "that just doesn't make sense" about too many things.

I would expect the 'fans' and general 'movie-goes' to really like the move and it to get a 90%+ approval rating from them....it is that kind of movie.  However, I do not get the 'critical reviews' from around the country where it is getting 90%+ positive reviews from the critics. 

Edited by mjd1001

I don't think Rey simply being an apprentice is out of the question, but I'll stand by the face that she's a Skywalker until proven otherwise, and solely because of the lightsaber. That's very specifically the lightsaber handed down in the family, and I don't think they would abandon that tradition.

The think that bugs me about the whole family line question is Luke's voice over from the teaser they put out for the movie last year.  The line never appeared in the movie obviously, but the "you have that power too" line sounds like something he'd say to his own kid, as opposed to saying it to his nephew.  I suppose it could be said to any student, but that's not the vibe I get from it.

The think that bugs me about the whole family line question is Luke's voice over from the

. The line never appeared in the movie obviously, but the "you have that power too" line sounds like something he'd say to his own kid, as opposed to saying it to his nephew. I suppose it could be said to any student, but that's not the vibe I get from it.

OK, so I looked into this and it appears to just be the lines from Return of the Jedi just slightly out of order. Check this out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.