Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

Originally I was just as mad at Rogue One as I was at Dr. Strange. But at least Rogue One had a heart and an idea. And it was wayyyy better than Juriassic World and Independence Day 2: Electric Boogaloo.

The shotmaking and editing was not good, though, which is pretty unforgivable with the amount of money they had to throw at this movie.

I don't understand why they put so much money into Tarkin. The uncanny valley effect hit me really hard. Why not just call up Charles Dance?

Vader's first scene felt very forced. They showed him in his tank, which was a callback to his little breathing ball back in the original trilogy. But instead of using that to tell the story through visuals, it was just an establishing shot. Then he lectures the bad guy and does the choke thing. And then jokes about it with a pun.

That was such a fanservice scene. Yeah Vader chokes people right?? That's what you wanna see??!!

yeah, I agree, Vader felt forced. Until the end scene, that was badass

When I host Star Wars Marathon weekends for my friends, the order we follow is 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6... However, my friends and I were discussing that there were so many fan service moments in R1 that we feel compelled to watch it as part of the main storyline next time. Now we have to figure out where to stuff it in the lineup. The only thing that makes sense to me is to put it in the leadoff spot.

Edited by sodbuster

When I host Star Wars Marathon weekends for my friends, the order we follow is 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6... However, my friends and I were discussing that there were so many fan service moments in R1 that we feel compelled to watch it as part of the main storyline next time. Now we have to figure out where to stuff it in the lineup. The only thing that makes sense to me is to put it in the leadoff spot.

I mean, I think you can just leave 1 out like Machete Order does and stick R1 at the front. R1-4-5-2-3-6-7?

Somewhat related, but all of the soundtracks are on Amazon Music and since I have Prime I'm giving them a listen today because I love them and my copies are all on cassette.  :blush: 

To this day, I think my favorite part of any of the scores is the music from the Asteroid Field chase in Empire Strikes Back. 

I mean, I think you can just leave 1 out like Machete Order does and stick R1 at the front. R1-4-5-2-3-6-7?

Hmm, I wonder if a straight chronological order would work better now. I understand the point of the Machete order with not spoiling things, but unless this is someone's first contact w/ Star Wars I'm not sure if its really neccessary. Plus adding R1 into the mix might allow for a good break from the main storyline. Next one-off is a Han Solo origin story, so eventually the chrono order would be 1, 2, 3, HS, R1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Man, there's a lot of SW movies now...

Hmm, I wonder if a straight chronological order would work better now. I understand the point of the Machete order with not spoiling things, but unless this is someone's first contact w/ Star Wars I'm not sure if its really neccessary. Plus adding R1 into the mix might allow for a good break from the main storyline. Next one-off is a Han Solo origin story, so eventually the chrono order would be 1, 2, 3, HS, R1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Man, there's a lot of SW movies now...

And I love it.

I like watching them in release order personally. 

I think Star Wars needs to get over George Lucas's daddy issues. Not every character needs to be pidgeonholed into having uncertain parentage/legacy angst.

In fact, Star Wars needs to try some new character traits in general.

Agreed. If we find out Rey is Luke's daughter like some have suggested I'm going to be pissed.

I'm glad Jyn didn't end up being Han's niece or something. The whole family tree was new.

Saw it, liked it. Didn't love it. I don't think the original quirkiness of star wars can be duplicated but somehow thats what it felt like they were going for. Not overly impressed but like I said, I liked it.

I think that at least some of that quirkiness comes from the fact that the original trilogy was telling a pretty simple action/adventure story. Every Star Wars movie since then was created with the weight of Star Wars's culture importance on its back, so that simple charm and quirkiness is lost.

Also, in the 70s it was wayyyy easier for a director to build an entire world for characters to inhabit. Post 9/11 cinema is very rooted in realism and consequence, so it's much harder to achieve that sort of escapism.

This article contains massive spoilers, only read if you've seen the film:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14022380/rogue-one-ending-original-different-gareth-edwards

I love that Disney actually ASKED them to kill off the characters. It really would have lost a lot for me if they magically appeared somewhere safe and sound.

Love it. Glad they are displaying some flexibility. It bodes well for the upcoming movies. Edited by sodbuster

This article contains massive spoilers, only read if you've seen the film:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14022380/rogue-one-ending-original-different-gareth-edwards

I love that Disney actually ASKED them to kill off the characters. It really would have lost a lot for me if they magically appeared somewhere safe and sound.

Everyone who is currently involved with Star Wars just seems to "get it". I'm so thankful for that.

haha, I meant to tweet when I got out of it that my favorite technology advancement in all of Star Wars is the universal data port.

EDIT: I remembered another thing, which was that their binoculars suck. I think we have better zoom on some camera phones than those things have.

EDIT2: As someone who works in the data storage industry, this article is hitting me right where I live.

Edited by sabills

Headed to the 10pm showing in a little bit. And I get to go all by myself! Yes! I'm bringing a beer or 2, some slim Jim's, and I'll have to check the snack cupboard for something sweet. I love going to the movies by myself! Zero people will be asking me stupid questions during the movie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.