Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

I'm not shocked by it at all. It's indicative of the type of fool's gold this team is trying to pedal. That they needed to discover their competitive fire as a result of being challenged by their own fans is pitiful and says all I need to know about them as a team. There's a reason they are vying for last place, after all. They are losers. And wrestling 29th place to prove otherwise is no sort of statement at all. Statements needed to be made in the first 10 games, not the last 10. 

Good.  Good.

I am absolutely insulted by Mezsaros' remarks in his pregame interview tonight. 75 games into the season, he decided he had to work harder? That's a bigger phuck you to the the fans than anything the fans did by cheering for the opposition. They can't get rid of these losers fast enough. 

Yes...good. Good!

Thank you Son of Neo, and all of your brothers and sisters in arms. Keep your powder dry.

Seconded, or maybe a "hear-hear" by this time since it took me a while to actually post this.

Yup. I think missing out on McEichel has two real consequences. First, I think it delays competitiveness by a year. In other words, I expect another bottom-5 finish rather than flirting with playoffs (before falling short). It won't be trying to be bottom-5, but I still see it happening. Secondly, it changes what the completed team will look like. We'll be more Bostin/LA and less Pittsburgh. My inclination towards offensive play won't be as satisfied, but, I do think we'll still be a perennial contender.

I think you and dudacek are being a little snobbish on this point.  The payoff for the fans accepting and living through the tank is McEichel.  The payoff for season ticket holders is McEichel.   You don't sell McEichel and, in the end, do not get him. 

Sure, there ARE other ways to build a team.  This was the early anti-tank argument, and it's true.  And, I would say, applies once picks 1 and 2 are not available to you.  But...BUT...we were sold McEichel.  Actually, we were sold, and have been sold, McDavid.  McDavid played here, I believe a few times in the last year.  Murray's comments, manipulated by the media or not, have been largely about McDavid.

The argument stands that if there are other ways to build a team, and there are, why tank and put the entire community through this if you are not going to succeed.  And, whether you as individuals think so or not, the tank has been about McDavid, with Eichel added later to sweeten the pot and make the entire effort more palatable.  Success to, I would say, most Sabres fans, is McEichel.  Do not stare down your noses at the masses here and complain that they do not understand the nuance of the situation.  The situation, and the stakes, were and are clear.  With all due respect, of course.

As you may have noticed, this tank has really left its mark on our little rust belt community.  Again, why put everyone through this misery in the first place and then fail?  That's not nothing.

Edited by SiZzlEmIsTEr

I think you and dudacek are being a little snobbish on this point.  The payoff for the fans accepting and living through the tank is McEichel.  The payoff for season ticket holders is McEichel.   You don't sell McEichel and, in the end, do not get him. 

Sure, there ARE other ways to build a team.  This was the early anti-tank argument, and it's true.  And, I would say, applies once picks 1 and 2 are not available to you.  But...BUT...we were sold McEichel.  Actually, we were sold, and have been sold, McDavid.  McDavid played here, I believe a few times in the last year.  Murray's comments, manipulated by the media or not, have been largely about McDavid.

The argument stands that if there are other ways to build a team, and there are, why tank and put the entire community through this if you are not going to succeed.  And, whether you as individuals think so or not, the tank has been about McDavid, with Eichel added later to sweeten the pot and make the entire effort more palatable.  Success to, I would say, most Sabres fans, is McEichel.  Do not stare down your noses at the masses here and complain that they do not understand the nuance of the situation.  The situation, and the stakes, were and are clear.  With all due respect, of course.

As you may have noticed, this tank has really left its mark on our little rust belt community.  Again, why put everyone through this misery in the first place and then fail?  That's not nothing.

Due respect right back Sizzle and a fair post because the Sabres certainly dangled the McEichel carrot.

But our fans are smart enough to understand the nuance that the Shart can no more be guaranteed than the cup. Speaking strictly for myself, I am doing a slow burn tonight over the butthurt entitlement I am reading, not only before this turtle derby is over, but when we are still winning!

Apparently  the official narrative now is the Sabres deliberately put together a historically awful team so bad that not even Ted Nolan could redeem it, but once the fans embraced the tank, the players got pissed off and magically flipped the switch in order to say you to poor fans who have suffered so much?

I need to log off. Because all I can think of is that our fan base needs to grow a pair.

IMG_3512.jpg

Due respect right back Sizzle and a fair post because the Sabres certainly dangled the McEichel carrot.

But our fans are smart enough to understand the nuance that the Shart can no more be guaranteed than the cup. Speaking strictly for myself, I am doing a slow burn tonight over the butthurt entitlement I am reading, not only before this turtle derby is over, but when we are still winning!

Apparently  the official narrative now is the Sabres deliberately put together a historically awful team so bad that not even Ted Nolan could redeem it, but once the fans embraced the tank, the players got pissed off and magically flipped the switch in order to say ###### you to poor fans who have suffered so much?

I need to log off. Because all I can think of is that our fan base needs to grow a pair.

I think fans CAN and DO understand the nuance, but the point is the fans want McEichel.  They want to bask in the glow of a generational talent who will oooh and ahhh them for many seasons to come.  That is the payment for respectfully accepting the tank.  Sabres fans want their team to be THAT team with all of the bells and whistles.  And, yes, it does smack of entitlement.  I don't know if I disagree with the sentiment.  Buffalo sports fans have put up with, and supported faithfully, and awful lot of dreck.

Edited by SiZzlEmIsTEr

Good. Good.

Yes...good. Good!

Seconded, or maybe a "hear-hear" by this time since it took me a while to actually post this.

I think you and dudacek are being a little snobbish on this point. The payoff for the fans accepting and living through the tank is McEichel. The payoff for season ticket holders is McEichel. You don't sell McEichel and, in the end, do not get him.

Sure, there ARE other ways to build a team. This was the early anti-tank argument, and it's true. And, I would say, applies once picks 1 and 2 are not available to you. But...BUT...we were sold McEichel. Actually, we were sold, and have been sold, McDavid. McDavid played here, I believe a few times in the last year. Murray's comments, manipulated by the media or not, have been largely about McDavid.

The argument stands that if there are other ways to build a team, and there are, why tank and put the entire community through this if you are not going to succeed. And, whether you as individuals think so or not, the tank has been about McDavid, with Eichel added later to sweeten the pot and make the entire effort more palatable. Success to, I would say, most Sabres fans, is McEichel. Do not stare down your noses at the masses here and complain that they do not understand the nuance of the situation. The situation, and the stakes, were and are clear. With all due respect, of course.

As you may have noticed, this tank has really left its mark on our little rust belt community. Again, why put everyone through this misery in the first place and then fail? That's not nothing.

I don't mean to come off as snobbish. I mean, I know I do, but it's not intentional!

Have I mentioned I have Founders KBS? ;)

If (and it's still very much an if) we don't end up with McEichel, a good share of the fan base's disappointment can be laid at the feet of the Sabres organization. They've at the very least teased a top-2 pick. And I understand disappointment to lose out having gone through two+ years of tanking to a team that did it at random because of a worst case scenario season. Hell, I'll be disappointed too--I'm not going to lie about that.

But, I think there's a very real line between justified disappointment and the apocalypse. I get the sense that many people think we're doomed if we don't get McEichel...and WGR hosts saying the team is "incomplete" without one of them isn't helping matters. People are comparing this to wide right...that is totally insane to me. I'm honestly not trying to look down upon anyone, I'm just trying to provide some perspective. If we could transport ourselves into a universe without McEichel, we'd be absolutely stoked about having landed Reinhart and Strome in back to back years.

Think about it. This is a a fan base that was comparing Zack Kassian to Cam Neely after his first breakaway goal. Like we wouldn't be worked up about multiple top picks under normal circumstances? I have no doubt it comes off as ivory tower-ish speak, but McEichel existing has absolutely skewed perspective. The fact that non-tankers were converted along the way on hopes of the crown jewels doesn't to anyone any favors either.

I'm just drawn back to the car comparison. I don't think anyone would complain about getting a Corvette. But if you were promised a Ferrari or a McClaren after driving a Prius for two years and you get a Vette, I get it. All I'm saying is you still have a freaking Vette! It's great. Not the best, but great, and I think some have lost sight of its greatness. That's all.

Have I mentioned I have Founders KBS?

BUF still has an 82% (weighted) chance at McEichel....

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHLlottery.html

Until that dips below 50%, I refuse to pout.   

5 games left.  

Chances are that ARI picks up another 2-3 points.  

Lets say BUF beats CAR and picks up a loser OT point somewhere for a total of 55 points,  That means ARI only needs to pickup 1 more point out 10 remaining possible points for BUF to clinch 30th.

This thing could be over by Sat night.  

Advantage BUFFALO

Edited by pi2000

You are speaking the honest truth, TrueBluePhD. You are keeping me a little calmer, at any rate.

Question for you though, out of curiosity, what would you think of us drafting Hanifin? I agree the player we get if not McEichel will still be a great player, but you have mentioned Strome/Marner a lot and not Hanifin. I'd lean towards the forward myself. Your thoughts on if GMTM forgoes Strome/Marner in favor of Noah?

There you have it. How dare other teams also recognize the prize for 30th and try to take our shart from us!

I don't mean to come off as snobbish. I mean, I know I do, but it's not intentional!

Have I mentioned I have Founders KBS? ;)

If (and it's still very much an if) we don't end up with McEichel, a good share of the fan base's disappointment can be laid at the feet of the Sabres organization. They've at the very least teased a top-2 pick. And I understand disappointment to lose out having gone through two+ years of tanking to a team that did it at random because of a worst case scenario season. Hell, I'll be disappointed too--I'm not going to lie about that.

But, I think there's a very real line between justified disappointment and the apocalypse. I get the sense that many people think we're doomed if we don't get McEichel...and WGR hosts saying the team is "incomplete" without one of them isn't helping matters. People are comparing this to wide right...that is totally insane to me. I'm honestly not trying to look down upon anyone, I'm just trying to provide some perspective. If we could transport ourselves into a universe without McEichel, we'd be absolutely stoked about having landed Reinhart and Strome in back to back years.

Think about it. This is a a fan base that was comparing Zack Kassian to Cam Neely after his first breakaway goal. Like we wouldn't be worked up about multiple top picks under normal circumstances? I have no doubt it comes off as ivory tower-ish speak, but McEichel existing has absolutely skewed perspective. The fact that non-tankers were converted along the way on hopes of the crown jewels doesn't to anyone any favors either.

I'm just drawn back to the car comparison. I don't think anyone would complain about getting a Corvette. But if you were promised a Ferrari or a McClaren after driving a Prius for two years and you get a Vette, I get it. All I'm saying is you still have a freaking Vette! It's great. Not the best, but great, and I think some have lost sight of its greatness. That's all.

Have I mentioned I have Founders KBS?

Thank you and the Shart will still be ours.

Apparently  the official narrative now is the Sabres deliberately put together a historically awful team so bad that not even Ted Nolan could redeem it, but once the fans embraced the tank, the players got pissed off and magically flipped the switch in order to say ###### you to poor fans who have suffered so much?

Couldn't agree more.  All this proves is my philosophy on life:  Happiness (or unhappiness) is merely the gap between expectation and reality.  People who expected it was automatic to finish 30th are now unhappy-- and we are still 30th.  They simply feel they lost their "guarantee."

So the song cranking in the Sabres locker room last night was Drakes, "We Started From The Bottom" (now we're here). Brilliant you idiots....you're still at the bottom. Do the players wanna the fans that bad or are these players that stupid?

A few of you understand this was never about one player.

For the rest it was obviously unicorns, and rainbows.

And we're still leading this ###### thing.

You may be right.  Tell me what it WAS about.

If you use the phrase "leading this thing", aren't you pointing to the race to the unicorn?

Edited by Neokolai Gogol

So the song cranking in the Sabres locker room last night was Drakes, "We Started From The Bottom" (now we're here). Brilliant you ###### idiots....you're still at the bottom. Do the players wanna ###### the fans that bad or are these players that stupid?

That is vaguely pathetic (since they have not gotten anywhere other than 2 points from not being the worst team in the league), and annoying because it conflicts with what we want, and shortsighted because many of them benefit if we land McEichel...but in the end they are players, and they want to win, and however they choose to motivate themselves, I suppose we have to live with it.

In an inverted, sick way, this is like Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals, and you're up one game.  Nothing is guaranteed.  All the franchise can do is put itself in a position to win the Shart, and it did that.  Now we hope.   

You are speaking the honest truth, TrueBluePhD. You are keeping me a little calmer, at any rate.

Question for you though, out of curiosity, what would you think of us drafting Hanifin? I agree the player we get if not McEichel will still be a great player, but you have mentioned Strome/Marner a lot and not Hanifin. I'd lean towards the forward myself. Your thoughts on if GMTM forgoes Strome/Marner in favor of Noah?

I think Hanifin looks like as a good a pick as any. If we end up with him I wouldn't be sad

Well, as someone who appears to have been accused of being butthurt, I will point out that I don't feel entitled to McEichel. However, I do feel entitled to my opinion -- which I've been consistent on -- that the tank was the wrong approach. The odds were always heavily against getting the true prize. That left us needing to finish DFL in order to get the consolation prize -- in a year when it was obvious that there would be plenty of competition for the Shart.

And we should also remember that the price isn't just the past three terrible years of unwatchable hockey -- it also includes the next who-knows-how-many years of unwatchable hockey. That number might be zero, if we somehow get McD, or it might be five, if we drop to #3 and get a defenseman.

It was a bad plan from the get-go.

I think Hanifin looks like as a good a pick as any. If we end up with him I wouldn't be sad

Hanafin is the safe pick. Strome and Marner carry slightly more risk but a ton more upside IMPO.  I think this draft will be like 2013 where Seth Jones slid.  Strome IMPO will go before Hanafin unless Edmonton really loves Hanafin. 

Hanafin is the safe pick. Strome and Marner carry slightly more risk but a ton more upside IMPO.  I think this draft will be like 2013 where Seth Jones slid.  Strome IMPO will go before Hanafin unless Edmonton really loves Hanafin. 

Edmonton needs defence. The best thing that could happen for them is to be drafting third

So the song cranking in the Sabres locker room last night was Drakes, "We Started From The Bottom" (now we're here). Brilliant you ###### idiots....you're still at the bottom. Do the players wanna ###### the fans that bad or are these players that stupid?

Playing Drake at all is a much worse offense than the particular Drake song they were playing.

Well, as someone who appears to have been accused of being butthurt, I will point out that I don't feel entitled to McEichel. However, I do feel entitled to my opinion -- which I've been consistent on -- that the tank was the wrong approach. The odds were always heavily against getting the true prize. That left us needing to finish DFL in order to get the consolation prize -- in a year when it was obvious that there would be plenty of competition for the Shart.

And we should also remember that the price isn't just the past three terrible years of unwatchable hockey -- it also includes the next who-knows-how-many years of unwatchable hockey. That number might be zero, if we somehow get McD, or it might be five, if we drop to #3 and get a defenseman.

It was a bad plan from the get-go.

Not that I want to fight this battle again, but the plan was only bad if it was only about McEichel. I don't think it was. I think the hope was McEichel, but the plan was to get the elite talent that resides at the top of the draft--and regardless of what happens the rest of the way, we're still getting that.