Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Yeah, yeah.  I really am not trying to offend here, but I'm not interested in your word for it.  Links, please?

Do your own research.  I have read 100 articles over the course of 8 months.  Hockey Writers, Last Word on Sports, Craig Button, Elite Prospects, Hockey Future, ISS take a look at the stuff they post from rankings to actual scouting reports and it is in there.  

Here's Stromes hockey writers profile http://thehockeywriters.com/dylan-strome-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

Edited by LGR4GM

I'll tell ya what: Joe Flacco is elite. IMO.

Do your own research.  I have read 100 articles over the course of 8 months.  Hockey Writers, Last Word on Sports, Craig Button, Elite Prospects, Hockey Future, ISS take a look at the stuff they post from rankings to actual scouting reports and it is in there.  

Settle down. You guys are just talking past each other. You appear to have different thresholds for what an elite prospect is.

Edited by That Aud Smell

LOL  The first sentence in the first post you quoted asked for links.  But I'll dig around those other sources when I have time.

LOL  The first sentence in the first post you quoted asked for links.  But I'll dig around those other sources when I have time.

It did, I provided some.  Instead of me or a scout or someone else telling you something, read the different sources and decide what you think.  Forming your own ideas will probably be more beneficial when we get to the draft.  I find it helps me look for certain things in players.  

Just my gut feeling, guess maybe I`m not sold on Strome he is a talented player who needs work on his skating. I`d prefer a talented player who is an exceptional skater - see Hanifin or Marner.

Marner seems too small to be a center in the NHL, more of a wing.  Strome is bigger, and when he fills out he will be a monster.

Have you any links to draftniks that are rating Strome and Marner as elite level? I've looked at my usual gotos and didn't see that. I'd be interested in seeing where you are getting evaluations that have them rated as elite.

FWIW, I don't consider Reinhart to be an elite prospect. Now, to me that means I don't see Sam as developing into an elite NHL'er. I hope I'm wrong here, or maybe my idea of elite is different from others, but I see Sam as more of a expects-to-be-a-typical-top-line-player than a player that is talked about as among the top tier in the league when developed. Maybe my disconnect is with the phrase "elite prospect".

To me, I think an elite prospect is one more likely than not to be a top line or top pair player. As to whether they emerge as top-5 at their position in the NHL...i just don't think that's something we can accurately assess ahead of time except in rare cases (McDavid and Eichel this year). It's kind of why I said Jonathan Toews wasn't Jonathan Toews until he was Jonathan Toews--I don't recall anyone projecting him to be one of the top five centers in the league, just that he'd be a first line player. So to me calling someone an "elite prospect" is more about setting a floor on a projection than a ceiling. There's a lot of prospects every year with a super high ceiling "if they put it all together" but most of them are as likely to totally bust as to even be NHL regulars. Joel Armia has the talent to be a perennial 30 goal scorer, but he's not an elite prospect because his chances of getting there are low and is floor lower still. So I'm not going to sit here and be able to give a precise definition, but if somebody has a 1st line projection with a realistic floor of a 2nd line player, I'd consider them an elite prospect even if they don't look like they're playing a video game every time they step on the ice. I think one of the primary advantages of drafting high is you know you're getting an NHL player, and you're playing the lottery as to how great they'll be. Whereas in the rest of the draft you're playing a lottery as to whether you're even getting an NHL player, let alone hoping they become great.

As to specifically Reinhart, Strome, and Marner...I'm basically playing a numbers game and using deductive logic. Reinhart may have been at the top of an average draft, but the top player in an average draft is still better than the vast majority of drafted players. With Strome and Marner, I remember we were in agreement that Risto's draft class was so good that the #8 overall was as good as a top-5 in a more usual draft. Same thing here...the #3-4 picks are there because of McEichel being so damn unusual, but in a normal year they'd vye for #1 overall.

If you get a chance listen to the guy from NHL.com who was on with Howard Simon this morning, I think he articulates it pretty well in the interview. McDavid and Eichel are so ridiculous that scouts have to kind of recalibrate themselves as to judge the other top players against more reasonable expectations, rather than the superhuman efforts of a couple generational talents.

Forgot to add, one thing the guy this morning said was Hanifin is where Seth Jones was in his draft year, who many outlets had rated as the #1 prospect in arguably the best draft class since 2003. So I think it's fair to say the top of this draft is just as good as other years, just the peak is ridiculously high, making the rest of it look meh.

http://theleafsnation.com/2015/4/1/mckenzie-leafs-will-take-the-best-player-available-at-the-2015-nhl-entry-draft

McKenzie agrees with TrueBlue in that without McEichel, Strome, Marner, hanifin still would make this a very strong draft class.

The table in that article is great, really think it puts things in perspective. What a group of comparable for Strome and Marner. I think all of our ledge-walkers should read that entire article. Edited by TrueBluePhD

It did, I provided some.  Instead of me or a scout or someone else telling you something, read the different sources and decide what you think.  Forming your own ideas will probably be more beneficial when we get to the draft.  I find it helps me look for certain things in players.  

Are you telling me I should do something I was asking specifically to do?   :lol:

Absolutely. 

We will be the team that parks the tank when its all over. I am not worried in the least. We won't win another game this year. 

GO SABRES!!!

I'm not that confident at all. But still trying to see hope after last night I will say as long as AZ wins one we might be ok cause we can win two and I see that as Car and Pitt.

Either way. Nolan's got to go as soon as the season's over. He's not coaching for anyone but himself, and for a guy with as much experience as he has, you would've thought he'd understand by now that there's politics in the workplace you need to play by. He's defied the people who have employed him before and he's doing it again, so I'm about ready now for a GM and coach who are on the same page. I'm fine with Marner or Strome, but I want to see Nolan gone by season's end.

Current standings through games played into 4/2.

Team         GP  L  W OT  PT MPP PR RPTC M# CPM

Buffalo      77 47 22  8 102 112 10   9   8 19.7

Arizona      77 46 23  8 100 110 10  11  13 13.4

Edmonton     77 41 23 13  95 105 10  16  18 11.7

Toronto      77 42 29  6  90 100 10  --      9.5

Carolina     76 38 27 11  87  99 12  --      8.4

Columbus     77 35 38  4  74  86 10  --      6.1

CPM per sportsclubstats.com and lottery weighting - last updated 3/28 in PM

Waiting on Eulers result.

Big weekend starting up Friday night. Sabres need 8 points to clinch; 8 points up for grabs. Sabres host Chicago, then make their last visit to the Isles' bajillion year old digs on Saturday. Yotes visit Snarks Friday then host them Saturday. Desert Dogs can blow at least 1 this weekend, possibly 2-3. Sabres should pick up at least 2 and realistically 3-4.

Chicago game is huge. Sabres take 2 that night, they can get past losing 2 points to a late season juggernaut and start another roll of 2/game, just like old times; Sabres choke away 2 and it's up for grabs. These 2 vs the Snarks are on paper the DD's toughest challenge and could leave them further behind the Sabres than the 2 they trail by heading into the weekend.

Chicago's 5th ranked pk may be just what the Dr ordered to quell the Sabres' recent penchant to self destruct on the pp.

These 2 vs the Snarks are on paper the DD's toughest challenge and could leave them further behind the Sabres than the 2 they trail by heading into the weekend.

You won't understand the standings next year my friend! Kudo's to you for keeping track of the bizarre.

Darcy will have statues erected in his honor (unfortunately they will be in the DD's new home) by planning and executing the perfect tank. Dogs get 0 points in NHL lingo the rest of the season.

3putt, on 02 Apr 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

Darcy will have statues erected in his honor (unfortunately they will be in the DD's new home) by planning and executing the perfect tank. Dogs get 0 points in NHL lingo the rest of the season.

IF the DD's pick up 4 this weekend, they could get 10 of 10. Would be quite surprised if that happens. Missing 1-3 vs the Snarks is a real possibility and missing 2 of 4 in the trip to the land of beer, ballet, and bacon (well, technically ham, but it is more alliterative ;)) is also realistic.