Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

So much wasted emotion.

Just sit back and pay attention to the positives that are being overlooked these past few weeks.

Enjoy the fact that Larsson and Grigorenko really are better than Flynn and Mitchell.

Risto is looking like a stud. Foligno and Ennis seem to get it.

Girgensons will be back. Kane and Reinhart are coming. 

And the culture here seems to actually be changing.

This should be the most demoralizing season since the Thrashers debut. Tim Connolly and Derek Roy would have run for the bus a month ago.

Most of you guys seem like you would be running with them.

But these Sabres seems different. And that means something.

Besides, If we finish 30th we get Eichel.

If we finish 29th we get McDavid. 

Believe.

This is why you don't waste three years of your life on the tank. Most of the time, for one reason or another, it doesn't work.

Does anyone here doubt that the Sabres are going to blow this? We are looking at the number three pick, best case.

What a ridiculous freaking waste of time and money.

What a ridiculous overreaction. 3rd best case? C'mon, I know you're pissed, but be reasonable.

Know why this wasn't a waste of time even if we "blow" it? Because getting two top-3 picks is awesome. People are so blinded by McEichel that they've lost all ability to look beyond that. Strome/Marner could be first overall in a normal draft year, plus we have Reinhart and Ristolainen, Kane, Bogosian. All of this because of the tank. We're better set up now to build a team than we have been in nearly a decade. So everyone needs to step off the ledge or put down the pitchforks, depending on the camp you fall in.

Current standings through games played into 4/1. (Eulers looking like they'll pick up 2 at end of 1.)

Team         GP  L  W OT  PT MPP PR RPTC M# CPM

Buffalo      77 47 22  8 102 112 10   9   8 19.7

Arizona      77 46 23  8 100 110 10  11  13 13.4

Edmonton     76 40 23 13  93 105 12  18  20 11.7

Toronto      77 42 29  6  90 100 10  --      9.5

Carolina     75 37 27 11  85  99 14  --      8.4

Columbus     76 35 37  4  74  86 12  --      6.1

CPM per sportsclubstats.com and lottery weighting - last updated 3/28 in PM

Eulers, BJ's, & Candy Canes in action Wednesday.

So much wasted emotion.

Just sit back and pay attention to the positives that are being overlooked these past few weeks.

Enjoy the fact that Larsson and Grigorenko really are better than Flynn and Mitchell.

And the culture here seems to actually be changing.

This should be the most demoralizing season since the Thrashers debut. Tim Connolly and Derek Roy would have run for the bus a month ago.

Believe.

With all due respect, this makes me want to barf in light of the comments by Meszaros and hearing that they were celebrating like they one the Cup after beating the 'Yotes. Yes, we have some nice pieces to move forward with, but I'm not buying any of this newly minted "character" and dedication to going 7-0 to finishing the season. 

Meszaros and Co. insulted the intelligence of every fan. But it's nice to know we have Ellis and Dalpe to kick in some timely "no quit in this team" goals when needed. 

Yahoo! Hardwork and character. After 70 games. Yep, I'm excited by this group. 

GO SABRES!!!

I suppose one way to try and find hope in this is that Eichel could be a bust - he doesn't seem dominate when I've watched him plus from his quotes he may very well be distracted by the temptations of success. I think McDavid is a different person in that regard but chances are slim we get him no matter where we finish. So if Eichel doesn't dominate the player we get stuck with could actually be better. Plus Murray, unlike Regier, can wheel and deal and is very creative. Add to that mix when we get close to winning at all Pegula will open the checkbook and buy a good team.

That's the best I can do to console myself at this moment. Is it working for anyone else? Someone convince me Strome or Warner could be as good as Eichel.

Edited by smj

What a ridiculous overreaction. 3rd best case? C'mon, I know you're pissed, but be reasonable.

Know why this wasn't a waste of time even if we "blow" it? Because getting two top-3 picks is awesome. People are so blinded by McEichel that they've lost all ability to look beyond that. Strome/Marner could be first overall in a normal draft year, plus we have Reinhart and Ristolainen, Kane, Bogosian. All of this because of the tank. We're better set up now to build a team than we have been in nearly a decade. So everyone needs to step off the ledge or put down the pitchforks, depending on the camp you fall in.

In a way, Zemgus was also a tank-style-trade pick. traded a current player for a pick and made the team worse in the short term, may have even cost us a playoff spot (we missed by 3 points that year).

I suppose one way to try and find hope in this is that Eichel could be a bust - he doesn't seem dominate when I've watched him plus from his quotes he may very well be distracted by the temptations of success. I think McDavid is a different person in that regard but chances are slim we get him no matter where we finish. So if Eichel doesn't dominate the player we get stuck with could actually be better. Plus Murray, unlike Regier, can wheel and deal and is very creative. Add to that mix when we get close to winning at all Pegula will open the checkbook and buy a good team.

That's the best I can do to console myself at this moment. Is it working for anyone else? Someone convince me Strome or Warner could be as good as Eichel.

I mean I don't really know how else to put it other than I've already said it. The odds are in our favor to lock 30th. And, worst case scenario we get 29th....people do remember last year's lottery winner right?

If that doesn't do it for you all, here

Nice try but it didn't work.

I do not buy into the idea that any one season flows into another. The idea that momentum gained at the end of one is somehow advantageous to the next. Each one is a clean slate. Sure you can see growth in players but there is no guarantee it will continue. So once the interim goal of playoffs is out of reach, as an organization you begin planning for the future. This collection of players, is not the future I want to invest in emotionally or otherwise. The rooks, ok, Ennis is fun to watch, if Bogosian can stay healthy he should be solid. But Ellis, Weber, Dalpe, Varrone, Mezzaros, Benoit and even Moulson and Foligno are just not worth it, and yet they effect so much. I echo Neo, what was the plan? And if it was not 1 or 1a? Then why not see Carrier, Pysik, McCabe get valuable learning time?

I think the trouble is having it seemingly in hand most of the season only to lose it at the end.

Had the Sabres been in the position Arizona is now to swoop in and take the prize but came up a bit short it would suck but we would not have assumed it was theirs for the taking. So Strome and Marner would be a nice prize and we would say 1/3 shot at MacDavid/Eichel is cool.

100,000 if awesome but not if you thought you were getting a million.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I do not buy into the idea that any one season flows into another. The idea that momentum gained at the end of one is somehow advantageous to the next. Each one is a clean slate. Sure you can see growth in players but there is no guarantee it will continue. So once the interim goal of playoffs is out of reach, as an organization you begin planning for the future. This collection of players, is not the future I want to invest in emotionally or otherwise. The rooks, ok, Ennis is fun to watch, if Bogosian can stay healthy he should be solid. But Ellis, Weber, Dalpe, Varrone, Mezzaros, Benoit and even Moulson and Foligno are just not worth it, and yet they effect so much. I echo Neo, what was the plan? And if it was not 1 or 1a? Then why not see Carrier, Pysik, McCabe get valuable learning time?

I'm sure the plan was to end in 30th and pysyk and McCabe are not in the lineup getting that experience because the limited time they have been up here they played very well.

What else could have Murray done to make this team worse? Both goalies played well and were traded. Basically anything and everything was moved at the deadline. It's just unfortunate that a bunch of players with little skill are playing like this is the biggest playoff series of their lives.

Edited by Derrico

So much wasted emotion.

And the culture here seems to actually be changing.

Believe.

I have seen the valiant effort/ culture change before. It seldom lasts the summer. The change that is required is an appreciation that hard working stiffs do not beat hardworking stars, and a demand that management get the best hardworking stars. Whatever it takes. Edited by 3putt

I'm sure the plan was to end in 30th and pysyk and McCabe are not in the lineup getting that experience because the limited time they have been up here they played very well.

What else could have Murray done to make this team worse? Both goalies played well and were traded. Basically anything and everything was moved at the deadline. It's just unfortunate that a bunch of players with little skill are playing like this is the biggest playoff series of their lives.

And (and this is the KEY I think) the teams they are playing are totally disinterested and barely even seem awake.

If these other teams played them and actually tried and cared they would lose 4-1 every night.

I have seen the valiant effort/ culture change before. It seldom lasts the summer. The change that is required is an appreciation that hard working stiffs do not beat hardworking stars, and a demand that management get the best hardworking stars. Whatever it takes.

Perfectly said.

A few of you understand this was never about one player.

For the rest it was obviously unicorns, and rainbows.

And we're still leading this ###### thing.

Absolutely. 

We will be the team that parks the tank when its all over. I am not worried in the least. We won't win another game this year. 

GO SABRES!!!

Yup. I think missing out on McEichel has two real consequences. First, I think it delays competitiveness by a year. In other words, I expect another bottom-5 finish rather than flirting with playoffs (before falling short). It won't be trying to be bottom-5, but I still see it happening. Secondly, it changes what the completed team will look like. We'll be more Bostin/LA and less Pittsburgh. My inclination towards offensive play won't be as satisfied, but, I do think we'll still be a perennial contender.

I respond to the thinly veiled slight. Your right it wasn't about one player, it was about two. At least it should have been when you fail to record a point in the month of January. We accumulated assets to make this transition from tear down to rebuild and spent quite a few for one player. I get the rationalization, but when you have that kind of advantage at the deadline, seal the deal. I am sure we will draft a quality prospect if we don't finish DFL but I think most will always think about what might have been.