Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

It's gonna be a raucous atmosphere in the room tonight as Mike Weber breaks out the champagne to celebrate the team's 52nd point of the season.

... and all those selfies with pucks decorated with white tape "#1" markings. ... and congratulatory texts from Darcy.

This is why you don't waste three years of your life on the tank. Most of the time, for one reason or another, it doesn't work.

Does anyone here doubt that the Sabres are going to blow this? We are looking at the number three pick, best case.

What a ridiculous freaking waste of time and money.

I agree, and just to be clear: those of us who bought into the "tank" were just buying what the franchise was selling.

We didn't decide to do it. We just supported the idea since it was clear that was their commitment. It makes no sense to hope they fail and pick 3rd, because then we're stuck in zombieland of mediocrity for who knows how long....

Why not?

Basically what Vodka just said. If they blow it, they still have a 33% shot at McEichel. If they pick 3rd it won't be the end of the world to merely pick the best of the elite talent in the draft, although it will disappointing to have missed out on the generational kids.

I don't know, GCOE .... Two 85 point years and #12 picks look relatively attractive in hindsight. Two years of "historically bad" and " not since the 1946/47 season" articles yielding 9 game tryouts has been tough. At least I could've watched knowing that "tonight means something".

Edited by Neokolai Gogol

The other option was 85 points and the 12th pick.

This is better than that, any day of the week.

This.  The post-Black Sunday seasons felt like the middle of nowhere.

Of course, maybe 2012 deserves a second look.  There was a lot of freedom in not having any hope at all.  We could convince ourselves to be excited that we landed Grigorenko at no.12 overall.  Fans were literally buying his jersey and taking pictures of it draped over the base of the French Connection statue outside the arena.  It wasn't bad having absolutely zero standards for hockey excitement.

I don't know, GCOE .... Two 85 point years and #12 picks look relatively attractive in hindsight. Two years of "historically bad" and " not since the 1946/47 season" articles yielding 9 game tryouts has been tough. At least I could've watched knowing that "tonight means something".

SAM REINHART WILL BE FINE!!!

with the first statement, or the second?

The second.

This sucks so freaking bad.

It is FAR worse to fail at losing than to fail at winning. At least when you fail at winning something everyone is on the same team. So you didn't get it done.. that's hardly new. There's always the next season to hope for the big win in that case.

When you fail at losing some fans hate the coach and players, fans are at each others throats, and it is sleezy and gross feeling the whole time. Plus you are not going to get the "big loss" that means a Crosby type player on your team. They never come available in free agency, you can never trade for them (and if you can you WILL lose the trade and it will not be worth it), so the only way you get them is the draft.

So failing at losing is a totally empty feeling. There is no next year for it. You just will not get a superstar, period.

That's why this is worse IMO

My only point is this. Something was intended. It was not 29th.

Oh no 30th was planned. I guess it's not the end of the world to pick 3rd but it's the same old same old around here. Worse part is with the young guys coming in and the changes to the lottery the bottoming out is over and as much as I do really like reinhart, there's no superstar on this team.

My god is it going to get ugly around this team WHEN they blow this.....

Fans haven't had anything to get excited about for what feels like forever, and just when it finally looks like there is some light at the end of the tunnel they suddenly decide they are all proud and full of character.

Whatever. Last season I honestly couldn't have told you who/when they played or where they stood in the league. I could not have cared less, and that's where I go back to now that they have taken away the only thing there was to get excited for.

Exactly how I've felt.  Why are Buffalo sports so painful?  Truth is you just have to check out sometimes and it looks like we are headed for more of those times.  I have no interest in watching players like Weber and Hodgson who have done nothing until the end of the year next year. 

Good Lord, the pessimism around here is truly palpable. On paper, the Sabres shouldn't have a chance of picking any points up tonight. They're w/in striking distance of 1-2. IF they get a point or 2, it's gravy. If not, take care of business in 4 of 5 and it doesn't matter what the DD's do.

Yep. I honestly think this is the last two points we get this year. The wins against AZ and TO were completely predictable. We'll be feeling better when AZ wins Friday or Saturday and we lose both the CHI and NYI. 

GO SABRES!!!

Exactly how I've felt.  Why are Buffalo sports so painful?  Truth is you just have to check out sometimes and it looks like we are headed for more of those times.  I have no interest in watching players like Weber and Hodgson who have done nothing until the end of the year next year. 

See, I absolutely LOVE football and can watch any NFL game, so as much as I have been sort of numb to Bills wins/losses I still watch every game and enjoy it.

But with hockey I will admit that I am only truly interested in the Sabres when they are good. I don't watch much hockey outside of Sabres games, unless it's the playoffs. This got my attention and got me to buy in and now I just feel dumb and like I ought to be mad at myself.

Because it's a choice, really. This is all optional.

Shout out to my son, proudly serving his country and reading this board. Thank you for your service.

Thank you Son of Neo, and all of your brothers and sisters in arms. Keep your powder dry.