GDT: Columbus vs Buffalo, 7pm

wjag

I know it's crazy talk and all, but maybe Z did something to fake out the defender and create the play. I could swear I have seen other players on other teams walk through defenders in the past. Perhaps it actually was skill and not freakish luck. Again, being a Buffalo fan, I know it's batsh!t crazy to think that way, when instead I should always find the negative, and never give credit for skill and game, but that's what I think.

+1

Bucky wrote a good article about 95-96's Hardest Working team In Hockey and drew comparisons with this team (Audette=Gionta, May=Foligno, Peca=Girgs).

That team was low on talent but was always entertaining and was by all accounts was a difficult team to play against. As long as the effort is there and they play a physical game, they'll be fun to watch and easy to cheer for win or lose.

If you want to read it: http://www.buffalone...ts-off-20141010

There was very little of last nights game that was physical. It was not fun to watch. The 3 comparisons listed above are all reaches. Brad May was more entertaining in 1 game than Foligno has been in 3 seasons, and Girgensons has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Peca. Gionta = Audette? I guess, even though you always wonder about when a player will hit the brick wall when he reaches the wrong side of 30.

Nolan's team from the 90's was entertaining beyond belief. There is nothing about this years team that even remotely reminds me of that team.

Dreger reporting that Tyler Myers is on the trading block with the Wings interested. McKenzie also reported in same segment that Stafford, Mesazaros, Stewart may be on the move sooner then the trade deadline.

http://www.diebytheb...-in-tyler-myers

Great, the one guy besides Z that I actually noticed is on the trade block.

I was suprised at how one-sided that game was. It was like the CBJs were on a perpetual power play. The breakout was terrible, continually kept in at the blue line.

I'd like to see Reinhart and Zemgus switch lines to get more balance. I expect Strachen to play in Chicago, the D looked small.

I fear what will happen when Neuvirth plays, which will probably be in one of the next two games. That game could have been 7-1 if not for Enroth and the posts.

Reading that article, it's a lot of smoke and mirrors. Dreger does not come out and say that the Sabres are shopping Myers -- he says Myers' "name is out there now."

I'm skeptical.

Plus his name has been out there for years. He is an easy pick. Also because of the new CBA, his contract is actually pretty ok - especially if he plays like he did last night.

As Mantha is out for 8 weeks with a broken leg I hope nothing happens soon. If we do trade Myers, I want it to be for Mantha and Helm.

Doesn't look like it's been talked about much but I loved Weber going after the Blue Jacket immediately after Reinhart got smoked. I usually hate guys that start fights after a clean hit but when your highly touted young prospect gets nailed then I appreciate him jumping into the fray. I thought Weber actually played alright last night. Much better than I had expected.

I like Ted Nolan personally but I think he's designed to coach teams that are transitioning from a crisis. Now this is the second time we've come to him when we've been down and out and it looks like things are going the same way as the first. We have a talentless team that tries hard, takes a lot of penalties but with good goaltending. The Sabres try hard, get rough, take penalties, get sieged and the goalie holds it to respectable. That's the blueprint this year as I see it.

Outshot 40-22, CBJ hit 3 goalposts in the 1st period, it was fairly one-sided, and looked a LOT like last year....and this was against a team with several key injuries and whose star player just joined the team yesterday.

Stats wise yeah, but they actually managed some good passes, and they were much better at getting out of their zone. This nothing like the team from last October. Are they still bad? Yeah, they're terrible, but they're better.

Great, the one guy besides Z that I actually noticed is on the trade block.

Its because GMTM realizes he has next to nobody in the system that can score. If we are going to get any sort of offensive talent it will be through trade or this years draft.

Right now our last 7 first rounders are 3 dman, Grigo, Girgs, Armia, and Reinhart. Sorry but nobody in that group has 30 goal a year potential. Hell 3 of them might not score 20 a year. I know i know give them time.

We have D. We need O. I am all for turning Myers into some O.

We have D. We need O. I am all for turning Myers into some O.

My far-from-expert assessment after watching the game over last night is that Weber and Myers were solid by their standards. I've always liked Benoit and Gorges, but they will take some time to adjust to a new team and new system. Risto as we all know should be a good one in the future. The guy I thought was really disappointing last night was Meszaros.

BTW - I've been anti-Myers for a long time and would certainly trade him for a promising young offensive player. IMHO, we need someone who can dangle the puck and hold onto it more than a couple of seconds.

Apparently everyone has this team pegged after only one game.

*ducks and runs for cover*

:angel:

Right? WTF, and the STH whining is already at a fever pitch. Really, we're supposed to feel bad for STHs?

ACME's widgets have been known for being low quality and low value for years now. ACME has announced the usual, annual changes to its widgets, which indicates that it's the same quality widget they're been producing and are known for being low quality. Yet, you buy one of these new widgets, knowing full well you're getting the same POS widget they've been producing (and there was no gun to your head), but now you feel entitled to complain about the low quality of the widget and how the widget has no value. :wallbash:

My goodness; the negativity after one game is pretty crazy. It was the first game, the roster is hugely different from last season, and a lot of those lines haven't played together for long enough to get comfortable with one another. Add in that the Sabres are typically slow starters in Oct/Nov/Dec (with the notable exception of '06), and I'm not at all surprised at the result last night. And I agree with Ink about this team looking like they tried and just weren't good enough... was surprised to hear Nolan so iffy on the team's effort in his post game comments. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to watch again until Tuesday and that's a stupid NBCSN game, grrr.

My goodness; the negativity after one game is pretty crazy. It was the first game, the roster is hugely different from last season, and a lot of those lines haven't played together for long enough to get comfortable with one another. Add in that the Sabres are typically slow starters in Oct/Nov/Dec (with the notable exception of '06), and I'm not at all surprised at the result last night. And I agree with Ink about this team looking like they tried and just weren't good enough... was surprised to hear Nolan so iffy on the team's effort in his post game comments. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to watch again until Tuesday and that's a stupid NBCSN game, grrr.

THANK YOU.

People are acting like the roster hasn't seen massive turnover and that everyone magically has developed chemistry.

What's the rush?

I am cheering for the Islanders tonight to spite everyone saying sh!t like 'Go Canes Go'

I promise you I despise the Canes and their fans more than you do. However, the only way I can imagine loathing that team more than I already do is if McDavid or Eichel are wearing their colors. As chief Raleigh pillager and baby eater I grant you special dispensation to root for the Canes in this home and home with the Islanders and still hate them later.

My guess is that all these new parts don't gel well. Think about it. Even in preseason, they barely played together. I'm figuring the chemistry will take a little time. I also know that Columbus seems to have Buffalo's number.

This was my take going into last night. This is my take coming out of last night.

Right? WTF, and the STH whining is already at a fever pitch. Really, we're supposed to feel bad for STHs?

ACME's widgets have been known for being low quality and low value for years now. ACME has announced the usual, annual changes to its widgets, which indicates that it's the same quality widget they're been producing and are known for being low quality. Yet, you buy one of these new widgets, knowing full well you're getting the same POS widget they've been producing (and there was no gun to your head), but now you feel entitled to complain about the low quality of the widget and how the widget has no value. :wallbash:

The analogy falls apart because of the waiting list, but that point is already being made in a couple of other threads so I won't belabor it here.

I know it's crazy talk and all, but maybe Z did something to fake out the defender and create the play. I could swear I have seen other players on other teams walk through defenders in the past. Perhaps it actually was skill and not freakish luck. Again, being a Buffalo fan, I know it's batsh!t crazy to think that way, when instead I should always find the negative, and never give credit for skill and game, but that's what I think.

What he did was great. I think you are referring to the other 2 players on the play because Hartnell was about 6 inches from decapitating Gus. Hartnell made a laughable swipe at the puck as Gus steamed by. Any NHL defenseman leaves him there for dead. How I'm the only one who sees this is beyond me? Take a look at the 36 second mark and tell me I'm wrong.

Zemgus Girgensons Goal Against Columbus Blue Jack…:

Edited by inkman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.