Rochester Americans 2014-2015

spndnchz

I think if the kids can play around 20 games after new year for the sabres, i think this turnaround might be quicker than most think.

But why would we do that? Isn't there some benefit to leaving Grigo, Armia, Carrier, McCabe, etc. in Rochester so that they can learn to win together? Would bringing them up in a couple months to get their ###### kicked actually help them?

The Amerks are 4-1. Let them keep rolling all season if they can.

But why would we do that? Isn't there some benefit to leaving Grigo, Armia, Carrier, McCabe, etc. in Rochester so that they can learn to win together? Would bringing them up in a couple months to get their ###### kicked actually help them?

The Amerks are 4-1. Let them keep rolling all season if they can.

Worked with Pommer, Vanek, Stafford, Miller, and that group, right?

Right?

Right?

Write up on the Rochester Americans game focusing on Grigs and Armia

It doesn’t seem like fans should hold their breath for Grigorenko or Armia to come save the Sabres from their scoring woes.

“The reality of the situation right now is that Tim (Murray) is committed to do what’s best for their development,” Cassidy said. “How many games they win in Buffalo this year isn’t the long-term vision. We have to make sure we’re building players that can help us be successful down the road. Right now for Mikhail and Joel, it’s important that they’re here and that they’re focused on being here and being effective every night. We’ve seen signs they can dominate play. But they still haven’t done it consistently. To me, they’ve got a lot of work left to do here.”

Sounds like Grigs and Armia are starting strong and have their legs under them. I think they should stay the entire year in Rochester. Edm is crap partially because they rush every prospect they drafted for years. If Grigs and Armia can contribute in Rochester and stay away from the dumpster fire of Buffalo, they should. I think next year could be a surprising year for us if Grigs, Armia and our first round pick from 2015 all join the team. That would be a ton of offense. Reinhart I would love to see start next year in Rochester for about 20 games, play along with Baptiste and Bailey.

Sounds like Grigs and Armia are starting strong and have their legs under them. I think they should stay the entire year in Rochester. Edm is crap partially because they rush every prospect they drafted for years. If Grigs and Armia can contribute in Rochester and stay away from the dumpster fire of Buffalo, they should. I think next year could be a surprising year for us if Grigs, Armia and our first round pick from 2015 all join the team. That would be a ton of offense. Reinhart I would love to see start next year in Rochester for about 20 games, play along with Baptiste and Bailey.

This sounds like a really good plan to me for the Sabres, and as a Rochesterian (kinda) I get to have a home team that I can cheer for that might actually win!

We might finally actually see a playoff W this year.

They have some good looking lines. Armia - Grigs - Carrier looks like a top AHL line. Adam, Varone Aliu provide secondary scoring. Schaller, Ellis good D zone coverage. McCabe, Pysyk, Bagnall, McKenzie form a nice D core. Lieuwen, Makarov probably the best duo in the A between the pipes.

Some of these guys will get a taste of the NHL, especially after the screening of Deadline Fire Sale Part Three: Clearing the Ashes.

But the plan seems to be making sure they can be part of a good AHL playoff run (one that hopefully Reinhart will join).

That's a plan I can get behind. And probably the only thing worth watching until the draft lottery.

Edited by dudacek

I've had the same thought since late last season. I am well convinced that we got nothing even close to equal value back for Pommer. I feared this would be the case when word got out that we weren't getting their #1 or even #2 prospect in their system. And it is one more reason why I've been shouting NO MORE PROSPECTS when we are trading decent NHL'ers. That trade has turned out to be a bust as far as I am concerned.

If every 3 for 1 trade ended up with one player being a top end prospect and 1 player being a serviceable NHL'er,we should be happy. The Pommer trade lives and dies with how Zadorov ends up. Larson will play a long time in the NHL as a solid bottom 6 guy along the lines of Paille.

Its like Sam Pollock used to say, the team that ends up with the best player wins the trade no matter how much the other team gave up.

Like Ink eluded to, you acquire over 20 picks and prospects with the hope that that you end up with two or three elite players, two or three star players and maybe two or three solid players. The rest of the roster is just serviceable players you turn over every three years to keep it fresh.

If every 3 for 1 trade ended up with one player being a top end prospect and 1 player being a serviceable NHL'er,we should be happy. The Pommer trade lives and dies with how Zadorov ends up. Larson will play a long time in the NHL as a solid bottom 6 guy along the lines of Paille.

Its like Sam Pollock used to say, the team that ends up with the best player wins the trade no matter how much the other team gave up.

Like Ink eluded to, you acquire over 20 picks and prospects with the hope that that you end up with two or three elite players, two or three star players and maybe two or three solid players. The rest of the roster is just serviceable players you turn over every three years to keep it fresh.

Yea exactly. While I would do the pommers trade 10 times out 10, he is the one player of the old core I would have kept for the rebuild.

I'm just not seeing the bolded, which is why I am pessimistic.

I hope this doesn't mean you won't consider coming down the thruway for a tilt this season

I will this year. Definitely.

I'd like to do this as well and with Josie in tow if I can swing it. Saturday nights are best for us.

You probably will be able to convince me to do this too.

You mean like a 3 second in the paint rule in basketball, only for defense, maybe? Or an area where there can be no more than two defenders or something. It's interesting, but I think it would have to be just too complex to be effective.

I've thought about some kind of "in the paint" concept but I don't think it would work -- it's just too radical of a change and as you point out it would be very difficult to enforce.

I'd be interested in some kind of restriction on shotblocking -- maybe something like shotblocking is only permitted if the defender does the full-body slide (i.e. totally prone on the ice -- not crouching or half-kneeling like a 2nd goalie. I'm open to anything, but I do think something is needed to open up the game once the "halfcourt" offense is running -- i.e. once the offense has possession in the offensive zone.

I think eliminating offsides, or creating an "offset-offsides" (puck crosses center ice, you may enter the zone immediately) would do the most to open up the game.

I think that would be interesting too, although it would be more of a "transition offense"/rushing the puck facilitator than an eliminate-the-scrum move.

I really think Zadorov has a long career ahead of him.

I understand what you are saying but in reality the pick was always the best of the 3 traded commodities. Larsson will never match Pommers offense and Hackett did look like a great prospect at the time of the trade. If Zadorov hits, it's a win, if not, we'll they could have lost him for nothing.

I suppose that's is why you trade for all 3. One of them is bound to hit.

But in order for the trade to have been worthwhile, Nikita really needs to be a borderline all-star, innit? i.e. if he's a #4 defenseman who plays 10 years in the NHL -- that's not enough to justify giving up a good, smart forward who can play in all situations and puts up 20+ goals every year. (I posted many times, and still believe, that Pommer was overpaid, not a top-line forward on a good offensive team, and not captain material, but he was still a good player.)

As for losing him for nothing -- remember that he had a year left on his deal when they traded him. We'll never know, but I think he would've re-signed here. I don't think it was another Vanek situation.

Yea exactly. While I would do the pommers trade 10 times out 10, he is the one player of the old core I would have kept for the rebuild.

Huh? Which is it? Would you have made the trade or would you have kept him?

I agree with this and it's the reason I think Nikita needs to be a borderline all-star in order for the trade to have been worth it.

Of course only Time Warner. Sometimes I hate Directv.

Well, to be fair, did you think they would carry the Time Warner Sports Network? :)

I'd like to do this as well and with Josie in tow if I can swing it. Saturday nights are best for us.

I'd love to meet up there. My kid actually plays prior to the games on two upcoming Saturday nights. Nov. 8 and Dec. 20. They play from like 4-5:30. The 8th is a scrimmage but the 20th is a real game so that will be cool. We're usually there after that for the game since we are already in the area.

Let me know. I can usually swing a Saturday.

I remember seeing some complaints around here last week about how Larsson doesn't look like much of anything right now. On quick look at the stats for the year, he's currently the team's leading scorer, granted it's very early in the year. So I'm not sure what more you can ask from him at this point. That Armia-Grigorenko-Carrier line is getting all the praise, but I'd love to hear about what has Larsson currently above all of them on the score sheet.

I remember seeing some complaints around here last week about how Larsson doesn't look like much of anything right now. On quick look at the stats for the year, he's currently the team's leading scorer, granted it's very early in the year. So I'm not sure what more you can ask from him at this point. That Armia-Grigorenko-Carrier line is getting all the praise, but I'd love to hear about what has Larsson currently above all of them on the score sheet.

He's older and facing easier matchups? That's my (blind) guess.

He had one big game offensively, which has skewed the results.

But he does get a lot of ice time and plays in all situations.

Edit: actually two big games a four-pointer early and three-pointer in their last game.

Edited by dudacek

Interested to hear which ones. Never liked the trapezoid rule. Goalies should be able to play any puck.

The delay of game penalty for clearing the puck is the most frustrating rule their is to me. The Trapezoid rule is stupid and I agree with you that should be gone also. The instigator rule has caused all kinds of crap that shouldn't go on but I doubt they ever take it out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.