Rochester Americans 2014-2015

spndnchz

I'll start with the AHL realignment for 2015..

AHL announces alignment for 2014-15 http://theahl.com/ah...14-15-p192750

Changes from last season include:

• Calgary’s affiliate relocating from Abbotsford, B.C., to Glens Falls, N.Y., and playing in the North Division

• Philadelphia’s affiliate relocating from Glens Falls, N.Y. to Allentown, Pa., and playing in the East Division

• Syracuse moving from the East Division to the Northeast Division

• Lake Erie moving from the North Division to the Midwest Division

• Iowa moving from the Midwest Division to the West Division

Several observations / questions:

1. They realigned and still found a way to keep Rochester and Syracuse in separate conferences. Stupid.

2. Why not just call them the Cleveland Monsters? Is Cleveland too embarrassed to have its city name associated with a minor league team?

3. No AHL teams west of the Central Time Zone now. That's really surprising.

Roc-Syr have been in different divisions for years, but they're still scheduled to play a bunch of games, as well as some against Utica. Now the Crunch's closest div team is Albany. It would be so sensible to just swap the Crunch and Flames.

The Crunch owner is from NYC, perhaps he thinks fans want to see the players from the 3 NY-NJ teams.

You'd think they could create a cool NYS division with Amerks, Sens, ADK, Albany, and Cuse but that might make too much sense.

And Utica. But if you look at distances, Bham is closer to Penn teams, Alb/Adk are closer to New England, and Roc-Syr-Utica are close to Canada.

Just switch Syr and Adk and it would make sense.

It seems that Iowa should fit in better with the other four Midwest teams (IL, IL, MI, WI) and they could throw Norfolk in with Charlotte and TX, TX, and OK.

Then Cleveland with Hamilton, Toronto, Rochester, and Syracuse.

And then Utica in with Binghampton and the three PA teams.

And finally Adirondack in with Albany, Bridgeport, Hartford, and Springfield.

Not directly related to the NHL, but the AHL is changing up the OT Format could be adopted by the NHL afterwards.

Erik Erlendsson@erlendssonTBO 6m

AHL changes OT rules, will go 7 minutes; 4 mins of 4-on-4 followed by 3-on-3 for 3 minutes then a 3-player shootout

John Buccigross@Buccigross 1m

4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), then 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.#AHL

Not directly related to the NHL, but the AHL is changing up the OT Format could be adopted by the NHL afterwards.

AHL changes OT rules, will go 7 minutes; 4 mins of 4-on-4 followed by 3-on-3 for 3 minutes then a 3-player shootout

4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), then 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.#AHL

Worth noting that these changes are being made by the AHL guys, not NHL induced like the no touch icing rule.

That's an interesting format. I could live with it.

Worth noting that these changes are being made by the AHL guys, not NHL induced like the no touch icing rule.

Also a good thing I would imagine.

Love the idea.

2 Major penalties and you're tossed too.

Can't play with out helmet either. It falls off you immediately put it on and strap it or get off the ice. Otherwise it's a minor penalty.

How about overtime penalties in 3x3 period....add a skater?

3 on 2?

Edited by X. Benedict

2 Major penalties and you're tossed too.

Can't play with out helmet either. It falls off you immediately put it on and strap it or get off the ice. Otherwise it's a minor penalty.

I don't like either of these rules.

How about overtime penalties in 3x3 period....add a skater?

3 on 2?

Pretty sure the other team adds a player to make it 4 on 3 again instead of 3 on 2.

The two majors need to be fighting majors. If you get three majors for anything you're out too.

Me neither. If a guy has one fight, the other team can now target him for cheap shots without fear of him retailiating. And guys will try to knock off opponents helmets when the refs not looking.

I bet there's some NHL influence there. I've heard them toss around the idea of 3-on-3 in OT a few times now. I'll be very curious to see how this works.

Does anyone here hate the shootout but want the NHL to implement 3v3? Many of the people in hockey circles I follow on twitter regularly trash the shootout as a gimmick and so on, but support the idea of 3v3. Granted I don't have any actual data, but I'd guess there are more breakaways during NHL games each year than there are 3v3 situations, leading me to be of the belief that 3v3 is more gimmicky than the shootout. Legitimately interested in the reasoning here.

Does anyone here hate the shootout but want the NHL to implement 3v3? Many of the people in hockey circles I follow on twitter regularly trash the shootout as a gimmick and so on, but support the idea of 3v3. Granted I don't have any actual data, but I'd guess there are more breakaways during NHL games each year than there are 3v3 situations, leading me to be of the belief that 3v3 is more gimmicky than the shootout. Legitimately interested in the reasoning here.

I don't hate the shootout, but the theory is that 3v3 is still "hockey" moreso than penalty shots. I'm not sure which is more gimmick, but 3v3 has the potential to be fun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.