Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

but how much of that was associated with their agent (they each had the same agent who is known for playing extreme hardball for his clients)?

just playing devil's advocate...a little...because I don't totally disagree with you... :ph34r:

Well, that agent was able to get contracts for those players from other teams without too much trouble -- so maybe the problem wasn't with the agent.

Well, that agent was able to get contracts for those players from other teams without too much trouble -- so maybe the problem wasn't with the agent.

just the asking price potentially. Notice both players got paid a hefty sum with hefty guarantees, if I'm not mistaken.

just the asking price potentially. Notice both players got paid a hefty sum with hefty guarantees, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes indeedly. I just meant that if other teams were willing to pony up like that, the Bills should also have been willing to do so -- and the fact that they weren't willing to do so was their fault, not the agent's.

Yes indeedly. I just meant that if other teams were willing to pony up like that, the Bills should also have been willing to do so -- and the fact that they weren't willing to do so was their fault, not the agent's.

I understand the frustration and I understand linking both players but they were two entirely different situations. With Peters, he just kept coming back and asking for more. They gave him a new deal early on based on potential and when he outplayed that deal he didn't want to give them credit in terms of a discount for what they had overpaid him. Also his play reflected his lack of interest in fulfilling his obligations. All that being said, it would of still been prudent to resign him. however distasteful.

With Byrd, they screwed up early on completely eliminating any notion of getting him to sign for a decent number. The situation was compounded by the fact that the BIlls. like a lot of teams do not put a premium on the position. I think in his case, letting him walk was the correct thing to do once he wanted to be the highest paid safety.

In the end, until they turn this thing around I can understand the lack of the benefit of doubt. Once teams start winning, instead of hearing about letting players walk you will be talking about smart cap management a/k/a the Patriot, Steeler and Green Bay way.

I understand the frustration and I understand linking both players but they were two entirely different situations. With Peters, he just kept coming back and asking for more. They gave him a new deal early on based on potential and when he outplayed that deal he didn't want to give them credit in terms of a discount for what they had overpaid him. Also his play reflected his lack of interest in fulfilling his obligations. All that being said, it would of still been prudent to resign him. however distasteful.

With Byrd, they screwed up early on completely eliminating any notion of getting him to sign for a decent number. The situation was compounded by the fact that the BIlls. like a lot of teams do not put a premium on the position. I think in his case, letting him walk was the correct thing to do once he wanted to be the highest paid safety.

In the end, until they turn this thing around I can understand the lack of the benefit of doubt. Once teams start winning, instead of hearing about letting players walk you will be talking about smart cap management a/k/a the Patriot, Steeler and Green Bay way.

I'm reeeeaaaal interested in seeing how they handle (or don't) reupping Spiller. His is the 1st 'big name' entry level deal coming up purely on Whaley's watch.

If it doesn't turn into a cluster, I'll give him a lot more leeway heading into the next one.

I'm reeeeaaaal interested in seeing how they handle (or don't) reupping Spiller. His is the 1st 'big name' entry level deal coming up purely on Whaley's watch.

If it doesn't turn into a cluster, I'll give him a lot more leeway heading into the next one.

I expect Brown to be Spillers replacement

Edited by inkman

What do you want them to do? Personally I think if he asks for crazy money, they should let him walk. RBs are so replaceable.

I expect Brown to be Spillers replacement

I was thinking more like Freddie's replacement, which would make him at least the 3rd, probably 4th. One of these times it will be right.

What do you want them to do? Personally I think if he asks for crazy money, they should let him walk. RBs are so replaceable.

I want them to be discussing an extension already, and depending on how amenable he is to re-signing, ideally get him inked. If that falls through and the season is going down the crapper, get him traded; if neither happens, at least be professional as he goes out the door.

Bird wasn't going to resign. he would have missed camp again and he was a major distraction. I agree about Stevie, it seems a minimal return IMPO.

I'm fine with getting Bryce for Stevie. We have a glut of decent receivers now, and Stevie dropped the ball at critical moments too often.

nfl contracts are possibly the worst contracts in professional sports (I know nothing of soccer contracts). The fact that a team can void a contract nearly at will is insane. I can't fault a player for asking for more and more money when they get max leverage from on field play (Peters) or to be paid the highest at their position (Byrd). Has to be a better way contracts could be handled.

nfl contracts are possibly the worst contracts in professional sports (I know nothing of soccer contracts). The fact that a team can void a contract nearly at will is insane. I can't fault a player for asking for more and more money when they get max leverage from on field play (Peters) or to be paid the highest at their position (Byrd). Has to be a better way contracts could be handled.

MLB contracts are the worst.

Players and agents know where the likely "cut points" are in contracts when they sign them. Players who perform generally don't get cut, and, if they do, they'll get a good deal elsewhere anyways. I think players in all sports should have more ability to get out of a contract themselves, though, if a team has failed to perform at the level they expected them (not performance-wise, but management and ownership-wise). If a team shows a high level of competence they don't have to worry about a player getting out of his contract, but if a players shows a high level of it then he's out.

Good post. I agree especially with the bolded part. I do think though that both Peters and Byrd were valuable commodities and were worth keeping even at their high demands.

The bolded is where I am on Spiller as well. He's a nice player to have but not as important as other guys (like Peters and Byrd) that they have declined to pay.

I am not sweating CJ's next deal.

This past draft leaves no doubt on the subject: The league is insanely pass happy, good RBs are fungible, almost dime-a-dozen players, and you can get them just about anywhere.

Remember this Bills practice squadder who went on to become a valuable RB on a good offense?

hiphopbell_medium.gif

The Bills picked up one of my favorite college players as an undrafted free agent: Vanderbilt safety Kenny Ladler. He can play. I hope he makes the team or at least the practice squad.

Seems like the Bills think Aaron Williams and Searcy can hold down the Safety positions, but just in case they brought in some depth today

The Buffalo Bills signed seven undrafted free agents Tuesday:

Iowa State safety Deon Broomfield

Miami linebacker Jimmy Gaines

Florida defensive tackle Damien Jacobs

Florida linebacker Darrin Kitchens

West Texas A&M linebacker Bryan Johnson

Vanderbilt safety Kenny Ladler

Clemson cornerback Darius Robinson

The Bills also terms with another two undrafted rookies: defensive tackle Colby Way and safety Derek Brim, both of the University of Buffalo. They'll join the team Friday, prior to the Bills' three-day rookie minicamp that begins Saturday.

The Bills placed two players on waivers: offensive lineman Jamaal Johnson-Webb and running back Anthony Allen. They now have 89 players on their roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/9646/bills-add-nine-undrafted-rookies

Seems like the Bills think Aaron Williams and Searcy can hold down the Safety positions, but just in case they brought in some depth today

[/size][/font][/color]

http://espn.go.com/b...drafted-rookies

I think the plan is for Williams and Corey Graham, with Searcy as an in the box hybrid type of safety/linebacker. I think that's evident with bringing in other CBs too.

not too shabby with the undrafted signings. Let's see who sticks.

Their moves and words suggest Searcy won't even be in consideration for the other safety spot. They said they'll try to work Graham in at safety. Also said draftee Ross Cockrell could move to safety.

I think the plan is for Williams and Corey Graham, with Searcy as an in the box hybrid type of safety/linebacker. I think that's evident with bringing in other CBs too.

not too shabby with the undrafted signings. Let's see who sticks.

At the post draft presser Marrone made it sound like Graham will be playing mostly CB with the ability to move to safety in certain packages, or if injury requires it. Duke WIlliams will be competing for a starting spot and I believe that he's the guy they'd like to win the job.

http://espn.go.com/n...ht-running-back

Buffalo Bills: Working on this book, yours truly was on the Virginia Tech sideline in 2011 as Sammy Watkins twice destroyed a stacked Hokies secondary that boasted Kyle Fuller, also taken in Thursday's first round; Jayron Hosley, a 2012 third-round pick; and Antone Exum, a sixth-round selection last weekend. Half a dozen times Watkins did things that made me say, "Wow." Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster shook his head and said, "Wow is an understatement."

Watkins was the special talent of the 2014 draft. He has as much upside as Jadeveon Clowney, but less downside. The last time the Bills made a king's-ransom trade, for Cornelius Bennett in 1987, the arrival of "Biscuit" changed a group of talented underachievers into contenders. Watkins might do the same for the current Bills.

To flip 2014 positions with the Browns, Buffalo surrendered only 2015 draft choices. The current front office knows the team will be sold soon, and if Buffalo fails to break its playoff drought, everyone who doesn't wear cleats will be fired. So there's no point in saving for the future. Either Buffalo makes the playoffs this season and all is well, or a new management team inherits a mess with future picks already spent.

Not surprising. Watkins is the highest-drafted WR since AJ Green and only a five have been higher since 2000:

First-taken WRs and WRs taken at/above #4 since 2000:

2013 8 Tavon Austin

2012 5 Justin Blackmon

2011 4 AJ Green

2010 22 Demariyus Thomas

2009 10 Michael Crabtree

2008 33 Donnie Avery

2007 2 Calvin Johnson

2006 25 Santonio Holmes

2005 3 Braylon Edwards

2004 3 Larry Fitzgerald

2003 2 Charles Rogers & 3 Andre Johnson

2002 13 Donte Stallworth

2001 8 David Terrell

2000 4 Peter Warrick

Career receiving yards years for players in bold:

AJ Green, 2013, 98 Rec, 1426 Yds

Calvin Johnson 2012: 122 Rec, 1964 Yds

Braylon Edwards 2007: 80 Rec, 1289 Yds

Larry Fitzgerald, 2008: 96 Rec, 1431 Yds

Charles Rogers, Trainwreck of injuries and substance abuse issues

Andre Johnson, 2012: 112 Rec, 1598 Yds

Peter Warrick, 2003, 79 Rec, 819 Yds

One things certain: we gotta get this kid the ball.

There's no reason to believe Sammy Watkins can't be one of the rare types to have a major impact immediately. As long as EJ stays healthy and can get him the ball with some type of accuracy then Watkins should have a great rookie year.

He broke many Clemson offensive records through just SEVEN college games in his true freshman season. He is one of four freshman ever named to be named a First-Team All-American (the first and only non-running back to ever achieve this. The other three were all running backs: Herschel Walker, Marshall Faulk and Adrian Peterson. Two Hall of Famers (AP will get there) and a star).

Good list....

I've been trying to capture my apprehension, and you found it for me.

Peter Warrick. I've been looking how to describe Watkins....and he is 1 part Julio Jones and 1 part Peter Warrick.

I haven't thought of that guy in ages.

There's no reason to believe Sammy Watkins can't be one of the rare types to have a major impact immediately. As long as EJ stays healthy and can get him the ball with some type of accuracy then Watkins should have a great rookie year.

He broke many Clemson offensive records through just SEVEN college games in his true freshman season. He is one of four freshman ever named to be named a First-Team All-American (the first and only non-running back to ever achieve this. The other three were all running backs: Herschel Walker, Marshall Faulk and Adrian Peterson. Two Hall of Famers (AP will get there) and a star).

I'm scared. EJ has knee issues to begin with and probably second guesses himself any time he wants to scramble now.

We just drafted 3 O-linemen that I could probably hit their measurable with 4 months in the gym.

Woods is a nice receiver but has ankle issues. Goodwin is explosive but couldn't stay healthy either and isn't built to take a lickin. Williams is Williams.

I really hope this works out. I'm scared. If it does....sweet. If it doesn't....2020 before a Buffalo sports playoff run.

I'm scared. EJ has knee issues to begin with and probably second guesses himself any time he wants to scramble now.

We just drafted 3 O-linemen that I could probably hit their measurable with 4 months in the gym.

Woods is a nice receiver but has ankle issues. Goodwin is explosive but couldn't stay healthy either and isn't built to take a lickin. Williams is Williams.

I really hope this works out. I'm scared. If it does....sweet. If it doesn't....2020 before a Buffalo sports playoff run.

I think that both Richardson and Kouandjio can be very good NFL offensive linemen. I'm not as worried about Kouandjio's play as everybody else is. I'm worried very much about both guard spots, though. EJ will definitely have to take a big step up health and play wise.

Good list....

I've been trying to capture my apprehension, and you found it for me.

Peter Warrick. I've been looking how to describe Watkins....and he is 1 part Julio Jones and 1 part Peter Warrick.

I haven't thought of that guy in ages.

? where do you get this from? Woods sprained an ankle last year, and that was it no? a one time instance does not make a recurring issue? Goodwin broke his wrist on a fluke, one time deal...again doesn't make him injury prone (although I do agree that he isn't built to take a lickin' as you put it).

Just think you're over-thinking those two's injury history.

but that's the eternal optimist in me I guess...