Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

This draft seems very deep for offensive line-men, I wouldn't be shocked if the OL we take tonight is the one we've had our sights on for awhile.

Looking forward to the 3rd round, tight-ends: Troy Niklas of Notre Dame at 6'7"

I hope we go OL/DE with the next two picks. I love Austin Seferian-Jenkins, but TE isn't a high priority as there are plenty of pass-catchers around now. If ASJ is there in round three then he's a huge steal. Should be a first rounder.

Guest Sloth

Am I the only one that expected Johnson to be traded? I almost felt as if it was a given after Watkins was drafted.

So marshawn lynch wins us a super bowl if he stays here? Is that it? Not sure what you're getting at otherwise.

Well, I'm not sure where that bit of free association came from.

The point is that if you have a position reasonably well addressed with good players, it is a waste of valuable resources (ie #1 picks) to draft at that position and then fire-sale your incumbent.

Not sure why that is a controversial position.

There were plenty of people who thought Spiller was much better than Marshawn Lynch. How did that one work out?

Pretty well. CJ is very dynamic and will be a stud for a while if he stays healthy as opposed to having a Marshawn Lynch who stopped trying.

When did right tackle surpass this teams need for a Guard? Their left guard play was abysmal last year.

When they signed one of the worst offensive starters in the league. :w00t:

It's almost a lock that Erik Pears gets cut in camp, and Chris Hairston still hasn't passed a physical so there aren't options there. Chris Williams and Kraig Urbik will likely be the guards.

Edited by Tankalicious

I thought Stevie might not be a Marrone guy, looks like that just got confirmed.. That's really disappointing. Make a win now move then trade Stevie for a 2015 pick? Why not let him play this year and then still trade him? This damn team...

I agree w/ all but the bolded.

If he truly isn't in favor w/ Marrone &/or Hackett, he's 3 at best on the depth chart and realistically 4th. (And #4's seem to be more preferrentially burners like Goodwin, not guys that are great getting off the line like Stevie.) The trade next year would probably have been for a 2016 5th.

I'll be interested to see if this puts them more on the market for some post June 1 salary casualties, or if they use some of the longer run freed up money to extend Spiller.

When they signed one of the worst offensive starters in the league. :w00t:

It's almost a lock that Erik Pears gets cut in camp, and Chris Hairston still hasn't passed a physical so there aren't options there. Chris Williams and Kraig Urbik will likely be the guards.

This is true, but he's still approximately five bajillion times better than the combo we had last year :P

Well, I'm not sure where that bit of free association came from.

The point is that if you have a position reasonably well addressed with good players, it is a waste of valuable resources (ie #1 picks) to draft at that position and then fire-sale your incumbent.

Not sure why that is a controversial position.

Boy, is that all we're shooting for now? That's depressing.

That's an outstanding trade for all parties involved.

49ers get a WR who excels against the league's best corners. They're in a division with Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson.

Bills get great value for a WR who had a down year, is occasionally a headcase and has a big cap hit for three years. The talk was that he would be going for a fourth at best, so getting the condition of potential turning into a third is great. Helps get back a pick that was moved for Watkins. Stevie and EJ didn't have great chemistry like Fitz and Stevie did so it's not costly in that respect.

Stevie gets out of a crowded group of WRs to go back home and play for the team he loves.

Great value?

Pretty well. CJ is very dynamic and will be a stud for a while if he stays healthy as opposed to having a Marshawn Lynch who stopped trying.

Are you joking? Spiller is one-dimensional, hasn't been able to unseat Freddy for the starting job, and has had one good year out of four in the NFL.

Lynch will probably have a better year than Spiller every year for the rest of their careers.

Are you joking? Spiller is one-dimensional, hasn't been able to unseat Freddy for the starting job, and has had one good year out of four in the NFL.

Lynch will probably have a better year than Spiller every year for the rest of their careers.

Spiller hasn't unseated FJ for the starting job? Last year spiller missed a lot of time due to injuries and still had as many carries as freddy, and CJ had 100 more carries than him in 2012.

Avg yards per carry (attempts

Spiller

2011 - 107 (5.2)

2012 - 207 (6.0)

2013 - 202 (4.6)

Freddy

2011 - 170 (5.5)

2012 - 115 (3.8)

2013 - 206 (4.3)

So I don't think there is a question who has been the starting back the past 2 years (ts been pretty clear), and I think ill take a running back who struggled with injuries during the games, palyed behind a pretty bad o line, and still average almost 5 yards a carry...

One dimensional.......good lord

Edited by Numark

Spiller hasn't unseated FJ for the starting job? Last year spiller missed a lot of time due to injuries and still had as many carries as freddy, and CJ had 100 more carries than him in 2012.

Spiller

2011 - 107 (5.2)

2012 - 207 (6.0)

2013 - 202 (4.6)

Freddy

2011 - 170 (5.5)

2012 - 115 (3.8)

2013 - 206 (4.3)

So I don't think there is a question who has been the starting back the past 2 years (ts been pretty clear), and I think ill take a running back who struggled with injuries during the games, palyed behind a pretty bad o line, and still average almost 5 yards a carry...

Spiller played in 15 games last year and was 15th in the NFL in rushing. For his career he averages two catches a game. He also doesn't block much or produce in short yardage situations. I'd call that one dimensional.

Spiller played in 15 games last year and was 15th in the NFL in rushing. For his career he averages two catches a game. He also doesn't block much or produce in short yardage situations. I'd call that one dimensional.

Do you watch the games? Or just look at stats?

I'm with nfreeman on this, Spiller is a one-dimensional back. Explosive? Yes. Creative in open space? Definitely. But he can't run through the tackles just yet, and he can't block. Let me know when you see CJ in there on an obvious passing down.

Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Charles...those are dynamic running backs. Spiller is not

Spiller

2011 - 107 (5.2)

2012 - 207 (6.0)

2013 - 202 (4.6)

Freddy

2011 - 170 (5.5)

2012 - 115 (3.8)

2013 - 206 (4.3)

If you're going to play the injury card, Jackson has missed as much time as Spiller. The only reason Spiller had 100 more carries than Jackson a couple years ago was because Jackson got hurt and missed 6 games.

Great value?

Yes. They traded a player with over an $8 million cap hit for the next three years who doesn't really have chemistry with the coaches or QB for what may be a third-round pick. Better players have gone for less.

It really doesn't matter what Spiller does. The Lynch move was a good once. He quit on the team. You get those players out of the lockerroom as soon as possible. They weren't getting more than a 4th rounder for a guy who gave no effort.

What do you mean by "one dimensional?" He's a running back. It's rare for them to be good at more than one or two things. He's fast and elusive. He had a nagging injury all year yet still played well.

Yes. They traded a player with over an $8 million cap hit for the next three years who doesn't really have chemistry with the coaches or QB for what may be a third-round pick. Better players have gone for less.

It really doesn't matter what Spiller does. The Lynch move was a good once. He quit on the team. You get those players out of the lockerroom as soon as possible. They weren't getting more than a 4th rounder for a guy who gave no effort.

What do you mean by "one dimensional?" He's a running back. It's rare for them to be good at more than one or two things. He's fast and elusive. He had a nagging injury all year yet still played well.

What? :blink:

The fact that better players have gone for less doesn't mean there is good value here. There isn't. Especially for a team that is supposedly in "win now" mode.

Here's what the rest of the world is saying:

"Win now" doesn't mean trading your WR with three 1000 yard seasons for a fourth round pick next year. "Win now" means Watkins, Johnson, Williams, Woods and Goodwin as the most threatening receiving corps in the AFC.

I was impressed by Whaley's draft last year. This year, I am scratching my head and wondering if he is being bold just for the sake of being bold.

Edited by Eleven

Well, Johnson will count over $10MM towards the Bills' cap this year, so there is less than 2 years' worth of cap savings.

As for one-dimensional: when you draft a running back #9, he needs to be able to catch it and pick up the blitz (or at least do one of those 2 things) in addition to running it).

As for the Lynch trade: I agree that he acted like a punk. But I also think the Bills' general Micky-Mouse-ness contributed to his crappy attitude. Bottom line is that when you have a good running back who's unhappy, the right move is to figure out a way to make him happy so you can use the #9 pick in the draft to improve one of the many other areas of your team that needs improvement -- not draft another running back (who, as it turns out, isn't as good as the guy you already had) and then fire-sale your incumbent.

I totally understand trading Stevie, seeing as how he and E.J. never clicked and perhaps Whaley has a trade or two in the works and needs some cap space. However the return was unacceptable. SF has like 2-3 picks in the second and third rounds next year, respectively. We should have demanded more than a lowly fourth which becomes a third under certain conditions. ..

I totally understand trading Stevie, seeing as how he and E.J. never clicked and perhaps Whaley has a trade or two in the works and needs some cap space. However the return was unacceptable. SF has like 2-3 picks in the second and third rounds next year, respectively. We should have demanded more than a lowly fourth which becomes a third under certain conditions. ..

Randy Moss was traded for a 4th rounder