• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Please tell me how / why you see the owner involved in the draft?

He should just be welcoming the draftees to the Sabres.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to structure changes one TP took over. The last 3 drafts do look undoubtably different from the previous 10.

It may very well be my imagination, but it seems like the Sabres' basket has been full of promising young players for a long time. "Darcy drafts well." What happens to these guys? Maybe it's different this time, but I think the powers that be like to hold the brass ring just out of reach of us — and we keep reaching.

I too am in a "show me" frame of mind about the Sabres' alleged drafting prowess. If they were that good at drafting, the team wouldn't be so GD terrible.

However, the bolded part sounds a bit paranoid. I don't think trumpeting the prospects ranking is anything more sinister than the same marketing of any good quality that any bad team in any sport does.

Please tell me how / why you see the owner involved in the draft?

He should just be welcoming the draftees to the Sabres.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to structure changes one TP took over. The last 3 drafts do look undoubtably different from the previous 10.

Right.. expanding the scouting department, changes to real scouting from video scouting, etc. They do look different. Only time will tell if they are.

Exactly. Pegula's expansion of the draft department has changed how and who we draft.

https://twitter.com/HockeyScanner One GM said today he believes the Sabres already have a deal in place to move Steve Ott. Ott is one of several expected Buffalo trades

https://twitter.com/HockeyScanner

One GM said today he believes the Sabres already have a deal in place to move Steve Ott. Ott is one of several expected Buffalo trades

https://twitter.com/...HockeyScanner�� One GM said today he believes the Sabres already have a deal in place to move Steve Ott. Ott is one of several expected Buffalo trades

https://twitter.com/...HockeyScanner��

One GM said today he believes the Sabres already have a deal in place to move Steve Ott. Ott is one of several expected Buffalo trades

Who the heck is hockeyscanner and why does it say the page does not exist when you click on it? I think this may be closer to the less substantiated BS.

Wayne Scanlan, a reporter for the Ottawa Citizen.

Ahhhhh, thanks.

So if the deal is in place then why has there been no announcement yet? If this is true, it must be announced soon as there's no way Ott would play tomorrow night.

How good of a prospect is Shane Prince? I had never heard of him until a few days ago (not saying that negatively I truly just don't know). Is it realistic to get him for Ott, which is like a 1st round pick at least probably if as many teams as advertised are interested in him? Or would we give up Ott plus a few draft picks maybe like a 2nd and 4th for him. Whats would his value be you think?

How good of a prospect is Shane Prince? I had never heard of him until a few days ago (not saying that negatively I truly just don't know). Is it realistic to get him for Ott, which is like a 1st round pick at least probably if as many teams as advertised are interested in him? Or would we give up Ott plus a few draft picks maybe like a 2nd and 4th for him. Whats would his value be you think?

Shane Prince would be a 2nd round draft pick from the very end of round 2. He has done decent in the AHL. Has played there for 2 seasons now. I would not trade Ottawa Ott + for Shane Prince. He could be a decent 2nd line LW. He is a little short at 5'11" but is decent bulk at 190lbs.

Shane Prince is a longshot to be a top six winger.

LGR is right, his value is a late second rounder at best.

When you hear about trades for a pick and a middling prospect, he's the middling prospect.

Edited by dudacek

Shane Prince is a longshot to be a top six winger.

LGR is right, his value is a late second rounder at best.

When you hear about trades for a pick and a middling prospect, he's the middling prospect.

He was 2nd rounder and honestly that is his current worth. Maybe end of the 2nd is mean and our early 2nd would do it but I wouldn't trade a lot for Shane Prince. No offense to anyways, he seems like a decent player just not anything amazing.

Ya it sounds like we should get more out of that deal after doing some more reading on him. I honestly have no idea what Ott will bring back in a trade I guess. I would think pretty decent and if it's Ottawa I would try and get a draft pick out of them as they are no lock to win a playoff round. I'd much rather get a 1st out of Ottawa then a 1st out of a powerhouse in the west or Pitt or Boston in the east.

Then again if it's Murray trading for him I'd feel at ease as I'm sure he has the most intimate knowledge of their farm/young players.

Edited by Derrico

I wouldn't doubt that there is a deal in place for Ott. There are probably a lot of "deals in place" right now. Teams probably have a lot of backup offers in place where they've told a team they're going to wait and see if they can get a little more in time for the deadline. That way you don't take a low deal too quickly and you can even get a team to bid against themselves in a perfect situation.

nothing's gonna happen until Noon on Wed.... never does. no need to rush. teams will overpay in the final hours.

That is simply not true. Teams try to jump out in front all the time. Everyone points to all the defenseman injuries when the Sabres lost to Carolina but just as important was Rutherford beating everyone to the punch before the deadline. Last year there were two or three trades leading up to the deadline. Hell Darcy himself beat the deadline when he acquired Gratton and Gilmour in separate deals.