• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

At this time of year Murray is collecting all the info he can on what his players are worth. Every single one.

The same way he's got a scouting book on everyone, you need a book on player/trade value.

I'd be surprised if he didn't ask for everyone's list.

The scuttlebutt about Ehrhoff strikes me in the same way that the stuff about Myers did -- I just think it's highly unlikely that either of them is traded before the deadline. There is no reason on earth from the Sabres' perspective to trade either of them for picks or prospects, and no playoff contender is going to, at this point in the season, give up a roster player good enough to move the needle for the Sabres.

I don't think Myers gets traded. BUT...I think Ehrhoff has a very good chance of bringing a VERY GOOD return. He's a great offensive defenseman with a great looking contract. I think out of all the players we have up for grabs he would bring the best return.

I get that the team will need some vets at some point, but I still wonder what it means when people say moving Moulson and Ott will "hurt."

This team is in last and will be in the cellar for a few more years. Those guys have too much value in a trade not to move them.

Both Ott and Moulson could help the new and younger guys get acclimated and show them what kind of work ethic and professionalism Nolan is expecting. You can call me a homer but I don't see this team as that far off. 6-9 new players on the roster mixed in with what's left and they WILL start to seriously contend in the next couple/few years. Edited by Bills12Sabres11

The scuttlebutt about Ehrhoff strikes me in the same way that the stuff about Myers did -- I just think it's highly unlikely that either of them is traded before the deadline. There is no reason on earth from the Sabres' perspective to trade either of them for picks or prospects, and no playoff contender is going to, at this point in the season, give up a roster player good enough to move the needle for the Sabres.

There is one exception if the reports are correct. Ryan O'Reilly is going to be an RFA and rumors out of Colorado are that talks have stalled because he wants $$$$$. Just something to consider, could be important or completely the opposite.

Both Ott and Moulson could help the new and younger guys get acclimated and show them what kind of work ethic and professionalism Nolan is expecting. You can call me a homer but I don't see this team as that far off. 6-9 new players on the roster mixed in with what's left and they WILL start to seriously contend in the next couple/few years.

6-9 players is VERY VERY far off, and probably a bit low.

At this time of year Murray is collecting all the info he can on what his players are worth. Every single one.

The same way he's got a scouting book on everyone, you need a book on player/trade value.

Good read. Murray is a rookie GM. He needs to know how other GMs value his players.

He's using the trade deadline to do just that. A lot of what he learns now may not come into play until the draft.

I'm so not ready for goalie purgatory. This is going to suck. Get ready for a heaping helping of Noronen and Biron Part Deux.

As long as we see a return to goalie fights. Enroth will recover the title of pound-for-pound the toughest player in the league. :P

Good call.

I don't think Myers gets traded. BUT...I think Ehrhoff has a very good chance of bringing a VERY GOOD return. He's a great offensive defenseman with a great looking contract. I think out of all the players we have up for grabs he would bring the best return.

I agree -- but it would be a very good return in picks and prospects for the reasons I mentioned above. No thanks.

There is one exception if the reports are correct. Ryan O'Reilly is going to be an RFA and rumors out of Colorado are that talks have stalled because he wants $$$$$. Just something to consider, could be important or completely the opposite.

Possible -- and if the Sabres could trade Ehrhoff plus sweeteners for O'Reilly I would do it in a heartbeat -- but it doesn't seem likely. If I'm Colorado's GM, I'd rather have O'Reilly for the playoff run, then either trade him over the summer or let him sign an offer sheet elsewhere and take the draft picks as compensation (especially since the picks would be high picks if it's a crappy team like the Sabres that signs him).

6-9 players is VERY VERY far off, and probably a bit low.

I can see Larsson Risto and McNabb playing in Buf full time next year, add in whatever prospect comes in from trading Miller and IF Reinhardt is ready for the NHL like some say he is and thats already 5 new players. That is assuming we end up with Reinhardt Edited by Bills12Sabres11

Both Ott and Moulson could help the new and younger guys get acclimated and show them what kind of work ethic and professionalism Nolan is expecting. You can call me a homer but I don't see this team as that far off. 6-9 new players on the roster mixed in with what's left and they WILL start to seriously contend in the next couple/few years.

I agree with you. Between all our draft picks, a couple of key UFA's and re-sign Ott and Moulson.... this team isn't far off.

I agree with you. Between all our draft picks, a couple of key UFA's and re-sign Ott and Moulson.... this team isn't far off.

Far from still being the worst team in the league, right? This team has Villie Leino and Matt D'Agostini playing on the PP. There are no UFA's that will turn this franchise around. It's going to be Long rebuild. The draft picks won't make a difference for years.

No, its pretty close, no one said anything about the caliber of those 6-9 players...........

Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Shea Weber, Getzlaf & Peiterangelo are 6 players that would REALLY improve this team and make them a playoff caliber one :flirt:

That's ridiculous but who's to say TM won't find the next group of these type players? They're out there, why not Buffalo?

There is absolutely no reason for this team to not be in contention for a playoff spot next year. They have the resources available to turn this thing around rather quickly, but the key is if they are willing to use these resources and take chances. If picks and prospects can be used to obtain some NHL ready talent, and they can convince some FAs to come here, then add that to some of the current roster (if they don't deal them away) and guys in the system, they could have a team that could fight for a playoff spot.

Problem is there are many here who think it should be Cup or Bust, and that just making the playoffs is failure compared to tanking for a #1 overall pick, hopefully the Front Office doesn't agree

Far from still being the worst team in the league, right? This team has Villie Leino and Matt D'Agostini playing on the PP. There are no UFA's that will turn this franchise around. It's going to be Long rebuild. The draft picks won't make a difference for years.

Those two are on the PP this year. Leino will be bought out and D'ago might not be too bad on a fourth line next year while they continue to look for better players?

There are other ways to build then just waiting for Draft picks to develop and signing FAs to turn things around.

There is absolutely no reason for this team to not be in contention for a playoff spot next year. They have the resources available to turn this thing around rather quickly, but the key is if they are willing to use these resources and take chances. If picks and prospects can be used to obtain some NHL ready talent, and they can convince some FAs to come here, then add that to some of the current roster (if they don't deal them away) and guys in the system, they could have a team that could fight for a playoff spot.

Problem is there are many here who think it should be Cup or Bust, and that just making the playoffs is failure compared to tanking for a #1 overall pick, hopefully the Front Office doesn't agree

I agree 100%

That's ridiculous but who's to say TM won't find the next group of these type players? They're out there, why not Buffalo?

I was just saying, he never specified what caliber of player, and those 6 (or many others) are just 6 players that would make this team a playoff caliber one

Of course I'm not stupid and i know that they won't be obtaining them (or 6 players of that caliber), it was a joke

Just from a practical standpoint, if Murray is trying to pull off 3 big trades (Miller, Ott, Moulson) plus anything else he thinks he can do, he probably doesn't want to try to cram that all into one day. He only has so much bandwidth.

If he can get something done early, I think he'll go for it so that he can concentrate on his next moves.

Just to point out that Holmgren dealt Mike Richards and Jeff Carter in less than an hour. The frameworks get set now and once the time comes I don't think it's too much of a distraction to fire them off.

Just to point out that Holmgren dealt Mike Richards and Jeff Carter in less than an hour. The frameworks get set now and once the time comes I don't think it's too much of a distraction to fire them off.

yeah, you here it all the time in almost every sport. The GMs might make a deal where it sounds like they just whipped it up but then find out that they have actually been discussing it since the last GMs meeting months before and finally pulled the trigger on it.

I would bet that TM has multiple different proposals that he has made to other GMs and that they have made to him for all three of the Sabres guys and they are just holding on to them waiting for the other to agree, or waiting to hear about any other offers that might come in.