• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

I think people are putting too much focus on the KHL thing. The big story about what tankalicious posted per the report, is Shane Prince has requested a trade.

Mhm. One of my friends tweeted a couple weeks back saying #BringShanePrinceBackToBuffalo or something like that and multiple family members of Shane retweeted it, and one actually tweeted the hashtag out saying it would be a dream for them.

Mhm. One of my friends tweeted a couple weeks back saying #BringShanePrinceBackToBuffalo or something like that and multiple family members of Shane retweeted it, and one actually tweeted the hashtag out saying it would be a dream for them.

His sister retweeted the KHL report and the follow up tweet that said "Prince would be a good fit in Buffalo."

His sister retweeted the KHL report and the follow up tweet that said "Prince would be a good fit in Buffalo."

It was his sister that tweeted the hashtag, as well. Seems entirely possible that he's using the KHL to push his way to Buffalo. Especially considering the man who drafted him is here now.

It was his sister that tweeted the hashtag, as well. Seems entirely possible that he's using the KHL to push his way to Buffalo. Especially considering the man who drafted him is here now.

It's so funny to me seeing random internet folk (and i mean that in the best way possible) discussing a few people i went to school with and know personally. I'd love to see him in Buffalo though. He's got a fantastic compete level.

@Aportzline: One name that will draw plenty of interest in the next 10 days: #Sabres D Christian Ehrhoff. He has no-move and no-trade limitations, but...

@Aportzline: ... the big money is off the contract. He makes $4 million this year and the next three, then $3M for one, and $1M for three. #bargain

@Aportzline: And, yes, I would suspect #CBJ would be interested in Ehrhoff, especially with uncertainty surrounding Tyutin.

@Aportzline: One name that will draw plenty of interest in the next 10 days: #Sabres D Christian Ehrhoff. He has no-move and no-trade limitations, but...

@Aportzline: ... the big money is off the contract. He makes $4 million this year and the next three, then $3M for one, and $1M for three. #bargain

@Aportzline: And, yes, I would suspect #CBJ would be interested in Ehrhoff, especially with uncertainty surrounding Tyutin.

Paul Hamilton tweeted out earlier that it is an eight team NTC, similar to Millers.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I don't think he's submitted the list of teams. If they ask for it he's a goner.

Wonder if maybe it's similar to Miller where it was submitted in the offseason. It seems like some of the limited-NTC call for it to happen when the team asks and some required before the season.

Or maybe Miller's was submitted in the offseason since they've been trying to trade him for a year.

Good riddance. He is a toy that Pegula wanted but unfortunately isn't good enough to be your teams best defenseman.

If they move Ehrhoff and don't get MAJOR assets back, I'm going to put my fist through a wall. Ehrhoff isn't a deadline day rental. He's an incredibly skilled puck moving defenseman with three cheap years remaining on his contract. I want a first line center coming back in that deal. I mean it.

If they move Ehrhoff and don't get MAJOR assets back, I'm going to put my fist through a wall. Ehrhoff isn't a deadline day rental. He's an incredibly skilled puck moving defenseman with three cheap years remaining on his contract. I want a first line center coming back in that deal. I mean it.

X's comments in the poll thread are interesting. Pair up a long term ###### like Ehrhoff with one of the rentals and all of a sudden you have one hell of a trade package. The main issue though is that any team who is going to be bringing on a rental is looking to make a run today and is not very likely to move a current top 6 guy. It needs to be a young NHL-ready prospect along with some other package of assets.

I agree. I wouldn't just give Ehrhoff away. I do agree though with inkman: He is not a #1 dman. Because of Ehrhoff's decent cap hit and actual low $ owed, he will be a very attractive option for teams, especially teams that need defense that always need to stay just above the salary floor, because his 4M cap hit will help that, but they don't have to pay out 4M in hard cash.

He's an incredibly skilled puck moving defenseman with three cheap years remaining on his contract.

I'm curious about this comment. He has a $4M cap hit for 8 more seasons after this one. Are you referring to the the three $1M seasons starting in 2019-20? I'd say that by 2018-19, that $3M salary will be "cheap" and the four seasons at $4M will be considered cheaper each year as the cap goes up.

Edited by carpandean

X's comments in the poll thread are interesting. Pair up a long term ###### like Ehrhoff with one of the rentals and all of a sudden you have one hell of a trade package. The main issue though is that any team who is going to be bringing on a rental is looking to make a run today and is not very likely to move a current top 6 guy. It needs to be a young NHL-ready prospect along with some other package of assets.

I agree. I wouldn't just give Ehrhoff away. I do agree though with inkman: He is not a #1 dman. Because of Ehrhoff's decent cap hit and actual low $ owed, he will be a very attractive option for teams, especially teams that need defense that always need to stay just above the salary floor, because his 4M cap hit will help that, but they don't have to pay out 4M in hard cash.

There's no reason to move him at the deadline. If someone wants to trade for Ehrhoff, they can do it over the summer and the Sabres can get what they should realize in the trade, which is an actual NHL player.

I'm curious about this comment. He has a $4M cap hit for 8 more seasons after this one. Are you referring to the the three $1M seasons starting in 2019-20? I'd say that by 2018-19, that $3M salary will be "cheap" and the four seasons at $4M will be considered cheaper each year as the cap goes up.

He's already cheap at $4M, and at $3M he'll be an absolute bargain.

I agree, but you said that he has "three cheap years remaining on his contract." If you consider $4M to be cheap and don't expect his talent to drop off too quickly after age 34 (3 years from now), then doesn't he have a lot more than three cheap years left?

I agree, but you said that he has "three cheap years remaining on his contract." If you consider $4M to be cheap and don't expect his talent to drop off too quickly after age 34 (3 years from now), then doesn't he have a lot more than three cheap years left?

Oh! Yes. I don't have any idea why I came up with three. Brainfart.

There's no reason to move him at the deadline. If someone wants to trade for Ehrhoff, they can do it over the summer and the Sabres can get what they should realize in the trade, which is an actual NHL player.

I believe this is where Tim Murray stands as well. It seems to be the most reasonable and logical way to proceed. If Ehrhoff would like to go elsewhere than you should trade him at the draft or just before UFA. Teams will want to restock or refill positions vacated by the players they give up for Ehrhoff. He is a solid defender and someone worth spending assets on. If the Sabres could move him at the deadline, it would need to be an extremely nice package IMPO because outside of that there is no reason. One of the advantages of Ehrhoff is we have lots of time to decide his fate. If he doesn't want to be here we can move him in June.

The risk of recapture penalty adds to this, the return for Ehrhoff has to be "too good to be true" level in my opinion. Edited by Lanny

Thanks Lanny and Drunkard for helping me understand the recapture penalty. What's the maximum if he's traded and he retires before his last year, 10m or 9m caphit?

$10 mill if he retires the summer before the last year of his deal. It's not above $5 mill before then, I think.

This seems to kind of make sense in my head: the Sabres could release/buyout Ehrhoff going into the last few offseasons of his deal if they feel he may retire soon, right? If that's possible, then they should keep an eye on his situation if they do, indeed, trade him. Say you move him to another team and there is talk about him retiring, why not reacquire him from that team (if they would like to dump any salary of his) and then buy him out/release him then?

Edited by Tankalicious