• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

I was just saying, he never specified what caliber of player, and those 6 (or many others) are just 6 players that would make this team a playoff caliber one

Of course I'm not stupid and i know that they won't be obtaining them (or 6 players of that caliber), it was a joke

I hear ya, I really think the Sabres have atleast 5-7 players in their system in varying degrees of development that can contribute to a better overall roster worthy of contention in the next couple years, add in a couple trades and free agent or two and u have a much better roster.

Think the front office has decided to build through youth and be patient. They going to trade for youth and picks. Tim Murray has been straight forward with this. He has has not be insincere , he saying straightforward this not a very good team, that he does not have a five year plan expects progress sooner than later, this done through the next two drafts building on what assets team currently has on Parent team and in minors. He stated this right from the first day of his hiring. He at no time stated he felt current group good enough to build on through free agents , trades and draft. He has said this a rebuild. Like it or no, he has been straight forward with this. Believe he see's another tough year upcoming, expecting to see a much improved competitive team there after. Not 4 -5 years down the road. He has stated this .

Edited by millbank

I hear ya, I really think the Sabres have atleast 5-7 players in their system in varying degrees of development that can contribute to a better overall roster worthy of contention in the next couple years, add in a couple trades and free agent or two and u have a much better roster.

yeah, this team should be expected next season to be fighting for a playoff spot, not the #1 overall pick. There is no reason why they shouldn't be very active this summer in the FA and trade markets trying to improve them for next year. They won't be a cup contender, but the playoffs should be the goal, getting the foundation in place and having some place holders in spots for the time being until they find improvements

yeah, this team should be expected next season to be fighting for a playoff spot, not the #1 overall pick. There is no reason why they shouldn't be very active this summer in the FA and trade markets trying to improve them for next year. They won't be a cup contender, but the playoffs should be the goal, getting the foundation in place and having some place holders in spots for the time being until they find improvements

This is more along the lines of what I think as well.

White at GR tweeting that TM was just on AM590 (TO) and let slip that he's close to a deal with, guess who, the Sens.

I know it's been bandied about before, but who ya got coming from that system?

He was just having fun with hosts. What he did say of note was he still currently evaluating Ted Nolan, still a process, that Nolan could be the coach of a young team, given he a players coach, that it not all on the head coach to teach but the entire staff. He stated a number of times he views rebuilding team at present via draft and youth. Regarding trading Ott and losing leadership, he felt this would be a need that could be addressed through free agency or internally. Will say he does come across a straight forward competent guy. No that it matters but likable and media friendly.

There is absolutely no reason for this team to not be in contention for a playoff spot next year. They have the resources available to turn this thing around rather quickly, but the key is if they are willing to use these resources and take chances. If picks and prospects can be used to obtain some NHL ready talent, and they can convince some FAs to come here, then add that to some of the current roster (if they don't deal them away) and guys in the system, they could have a team that could fight for a playoff spot.

Problem is there are many here who think it should be Cup or Bust, and that just making the playoffs is failure compared to tanking for a #1 overall pick, hopefully the Front Office doesn't agree

I agree with you. I don't like the 'Cup or bust' mentality. I want a competitive team year after year. With the draft picks the last two years, and a possibly loaded draft this year for the team, there are plenty of resources to fill the holes with.

White at GR tweeting that TM was just on AM590 (TO) and let slip that he's close to a deal with, guess who, the Sens.

Lazar and Ceci are the 2 guys who could be ready for everyday duty in 2 years and play for 12-15 years to me.

I hate that I am having visions of sugarplums dancing in my head. I think Murray needs to package guys and picks to get better prospects and you can turn this around in 2 years and be good for a long time. Instead of Miller to Stl....Miller and Foligno to STL for Rattie and Allen. Instead of Moulson to Ottawa...Moulson and Ehrhoff and 2 2nds for Lazar and Ceci. Instead of Ott to Vancouver...Ott and Ennis for Horvat and a 2nd. Myers for Eberle. Then you draft your big gun this year and probably next. 2016 suddenly gets very interesting.

Lazar and Ceci are the 2 guys who could be ready for everyday duty in 2 years and play for 12-15 years to me.

I hate that I am having visions of sugarplums dancing in my head. I think Murray needs to package guys and picks to get better prospects and you can turn this around in 2 years and be good for a long time. Instead of Miller to Stl....Miller and Foligno to STL for Rattie and Allen. Instead of Moulson to Ottawa...Moulson and Ehrhoff and 2 2nds for Lazar and Ceci. Instead of Ott to Vancouver...Ott and Ennis for Horvat and a 2nd. Myers for Eberle. Then you draft your big gun this year and probably next. 2016 suddenly gets very interesting.

I'd be shocked but happy as hell if Ottawa parted ways with Lazar

@kuklaskorner

Tim Murray said on Hockey Central @ Noon numerous teams have called about Miller, a few serious about trade. Doesn't need a goalie in return

I'm not surprised that he would say it, I would be more surprised if he has received offers from other teams that don't include one though.

The Blues would have to work a multi team deal (or swing a trade before) to unload one of their guys before taking on Miller, but a team like the Wild, or Flyers could work out a deal were they wouldn't have to move any goalie to bring in Miller.

I could see if they don't get one back in the deal they either are negotiating getting someone back in a different deal, or they will wait til the offseason and FA

I agree with you. I don't like the 'Cup or bust' mentality. I want a competitive team year after year. With the draft picks the last two years, and a possibly loaded draft this year for the team, there are plenty of resources to fill the holes with.

I can agree with both of you on this, however I am okay with one more year of horrible hockey. The top of the 2015 Draft besides McDavid and Eichel is very deep and should be worth one more year of this.

I guess I am taking the Young Bull/Old Bull approach.

He said that he wants to do deal with Uncle Bryan.

Chris Nichols@NicholsOnHockey

Tim Murray, chuckling when asked about talks with former team: "I am trying to do a deal with Bryan." We'll see, Tim says. #Sabres #Sens

I'd be shocked but happy as hell if Ottawa parted ways with Lazar

That's why you have to make it something bigger. If Ottawa is going to gamble on making the playoffs, it is in their best interest to "make sure" they get there....so while they wouldn't want to trade Lazar for a minor improvement in their chances with a guy like Moulson, they would have to think that getting Moulson and Ehrhoff would give them a good shot and maybe even enough firepower to advance. Then you can stomach losing Lazar. Murray already told the papers that Buffalo came looking for him.

LAZAR!

(and I agree with your strategy)

Also if the Islanders defer their pick, next year we don't have to necessarily tank completely. That being said I think next year is a lost year and I think we should be bottom 5 again. It takes time for the kids to learn at the NHL level and right now we have to be patient.

Playoffs in 2-3years would be realistic.

Also if the Islanders defer their pick, next year we don't have to necessarily tank completely. That being said I think next year is a lost year and I think we should be bottom 5 again. It takes time for the kids to learn at the NHL level and right now we have to be patient.

Playoffs in 2-3years would be realistic.

Even if we finish last next year we might be 2-3 years off the playoffs. Don't underestimate McDavid.

But we've gotten this far. We'd be dumb to push for a fifth or sixth pick. Just suck. It's been too long since a Buffalo sports franchise had a true superstar.

Even if we finish last next year we might be 2-3 years off the playoffs. Don't underestimate McDavid.

But we've gotten this far. We'd be dumb to push for a fifth or sixth pick. Just suck. It's been too long since a Buffalo sports franchise had a true superstar.

i have been arguing tank for over two years and happen to agree that next year should be crappy like this one. McDavid and Eichel are too good to pass up on.