• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

That is simply not true. Teams try to jump out in front all the time. Everyone points to all the defenseman injuries when the Sabres lost to Carolina but just as important was Rutherford beating everyone to the punch before the deadline. Last year there were two or three trades leading up to the deadline. Hell Darcy himself beat the deadline when he acquired Gratton and Gilmour in separate deals.

Just from a practical standpoint, if Murray is trying to pull off 3 big trades (Miller, Ott, Moulson) plus anything else he thinks he can do, he probably doesn't want to try to cram that all into one day. He only has so much bandwidth.

If he can get something done early, I think he'll go for it so that he can concentrate on his next moves.

It's also looking pretty likely that Vancouver will trade Kesler, TB will trade St Louis and the Rangers will trade Callahan.

Those are all pretty major moves.

Add in Vanek and Moulson and there is alot of high end forwards available. Buyers market this year?

I don't know if I actually see St. Louis or Kesler being moved in season. Those seem like offseason moves to me.

Agreed. Especially with Sedin's injury and Vancouver's depth chart, I don't think there's any way Kesler actually moves without a legit top-6 center coming back--not exactly the type of move contenders are looking to make at the deadline. As far as St. Louis goes, apparently he requested the trade after he was left off the roster...and proceeded to go on a tear. Again, I don't see Tampa giving up that production for anything other than legit top line talent coming back in a deal...the exact type that doesn't happen at the deadline.

What are you hearing about two defencemen at opposite ends of their careers, 35-year-old Chris Phillips and 24-year-old Tyler Myers?

Dreger: In terms of Myers, there is considerable interest according to sources close to the Buffalo Sabres. But GM Tim Murray isn't trying to push this guy out the door. Is he available? Is he interested in moving him? Yes he is. We're looking at Toronto as potentially a fit, as would be the Anaheim Ducks. And the Colorado Avalanche are definitely looking for a defenceman. So there will be options, but come ready to pay a premium.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444838 Edited by Lanny

Add in Vanek and Moulson and there is alot of high end forwards available. Buyers market this year?

Good observation about the # of good forwards. Not sure if this would result in a buyers' market though -- it could also result in an arms race and thus good yields for sellers.

I don't know if I actually see St. Louis or Kesler being moved in season. Those seem like offseason moves to me.

Agreed. Especially with Sedin's injury and Vancouver's depth chart, I don't think there's any way Kesler actually moves without a legit top-6 center coming back--not exactly the type of move contenders are looking to make at the deadline. As far as St. Louis goes, apparently he requested the trade after he was left off the roster...and proceeded to go on a tear. Again, I don't see Tampa giving up that production for anything other than legit top line talent coming back in a deal...the exact type that doesn't happen at the deadline.

Valid points here, but OTOH I think the best yields come at the deadline, so if the teams have concluded that the relationships are irreparable, I wouldn't be surprised -- especially for Vancouver since they are on the bubble this year and more broadly appear to be in decline.

Is this team planning on holding on to any of their good players? Is Girgenson going to be on the next link I click on? This is starting to look like a 5 year rebuild. All of this trade talk is fun and exciting but when it's all over, and we look at the roster, reality is going to kick in BIG time. The hardest one to part with for me is going to be Miller. He has always been the one player to bring a ton of respect to this team and when he is gone, not only will Buffalo need a #1 Center, they will also need a #1 goalie. Not having a super star in this year's draft may be the most damaging part to this whole process.

If Myers goes anywhere it has to be somebody who has already played in and will play in a top six.

A top six what?

Is this team planning on holding on to any of their good players? Is Girgenson going to be on the next link I click on? This is starting to look like a 5 year rebuild. All of this trade talk is fun and exciting but when it's all over, and we look at the roster, reality is going to kick in BIG time. The hardest one to part with for me is going to be Miller. He has always been the one player to bring a ton of respect to this team and when he is gone, not only will Buffalo need a #1 Center, they will also need a #1 goalie. Not having a super star in this year's draft may be the most damaging part to this whole process.

Can't agree more.

Dreger: In terms of Myers, there is considerable interest according to sources close to the Buffalo Sabres. But GM Tim Murray isn't trying to push this guy out the door. Is he available? Is he interested in moving him? Yes he is. We're looking at Toronto as potentially a fit, as would be the Anaheim Ducks. And the Colorado Avalanche are definitely looking for a defenceman. So there will be options, but come ready to pay a premium.

This seems more like deadline hype than anything real IMHO. If you parse the statement, it seems like Myers is available, and TM is interested in moving him, only because Murray has said a number of times that the Sabres are in last place and therefore everyone is available. The rest of it is Dreger's hypothesizing as to teams that might be interested in Myers.

I'm going to predict no Myers trade with 90+% certainty.

This seems more like deadline hype than anything real IMHO. If you parse the statement, it seems like Myers is available, and TM is interested in moving him, only because Murray has said a number of times that the Sabres are in last place and therefore everyone is available. The rest of it is Dreger's hypothesizing as to teams that might be interested in Myers.

I'm going to predict no Myers trade with 90+% certainty.

The first instinct I have is that Myers' name being put out there is meant to get GM's on the phone. When they don't want to drive away in a 57, maybe they'll be willing to take a 10?

You can take all the shots you want. The Sabres don't have anything that would make Colorado give up Duchene.

I don't know much about their farm team, but other than him, and maybe O'Reily, there's nobody else that would really interest me. I agree with you, I highly doubt they'd give him up, him or Mackinnon, but out of the two I feel like Duchene is more plausible, and so he's who I'd go for.

If Landeskog wasn't a Captain, and they weren't in contention, I'd go for him as the most viable option

Edited by WildCard

I don't know much about their farm team, but other than him, and maybe O'Reily, there's nobody else that would really interest me. I agree with you, I highly doubt they'd give him up, him or Mackinnon, but out of the two I feel like Duchene is more plausible, and so he's who I'd go for.

If Landeskog wasn't a Captain, and they weren't in contention, I'd go for him as the most viable option

Respectfully, there is zero possibility of Colorado giving up any of those 3 guys in any deal whatsoever, let alone a deal involving the Sabres.