All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

All this good will and positive feeling is great, but we must remain focused and re-embrace the tank ... ;) .

The future is not now. There will be time to be positive, but now is the time to stink (still).

*Playin' Putrid For McDavid"!!

:P

Tank Nation is still on but let's beat the snot out of T.O. back to back first.

Thanks. Awesome stuff.

Nolan calls Pat looking for tix to a broadway show and gets told no. Sorry I can't get you tickets but what about this? lol

I think it's awesome that I'm watching and reading Sabres-related media and enjoying doing so again. It's like when Uncle Terry bought the team all over...

It's all about having confidence in the decision makers and the direction of the teams. Before, it seemed like we were losing for nothing because we didn't expect Darcy and Ron to lead the young guys we get anyways. Now, WE LOSE WITH CONFIDENCE! CHEERS TO LOSING!

Its a feel good story for sure but beyond that after seeing Ted in his presser after todays practice and listening to the positive attitude and the motivation behind why he coaches etc. , I like this move. Glad Pat called him and offered him the job. I'm excited to be a fan again. There'll still be losses but with a coach like this that demands hard work and effort these guys will be playing for playing time and I'm alright with that.

From an old TBN article in 2002:

A few months ago, Nolan saw the movie "Ali" and starting thinking. Muhammad Ali went to prison after refusing to fight in the Vietnam War. He was exiled from boxing, but he never stopped thinking he was a champion. Eventually, he came back and proved himself again.

"I never stopped being a coach," Nolan said. "And I never stopped being a good coach."

I can't get into the bottoming out thing, I know it would bring us a higher draft choice (not necessarily the #1), but I would rather have the players on this team, especially the young ones to start winning, to get used to winning and learning how to win. I don't want these guys getting accustomed to and comfortable with losing. when talking about changing the culture of the team, it includes turning a losing team into a winning team and it's going to take more than another 19 year old kid, no matter how good he is.

This is a critical element that seems to be overlooked in the "effort vs talent" debate. So much of happens on the ice is driven by what's between the ears. As someone else pointed out earlier today, the Sabres have a pretty good amount of talent, and at times a respectable amount of effort, but the package doesn't come together and result in crisp passes or good shots or being in the right spot in the fractions-of-seconds that they have during games to make those decisions.

I think Stafford is the poster boy for this. When he was scoring a few years ago, he was fast, decisive and confident. Now he looks like a zombie who believes he's incapable of making the game come to him.

Nolan understands players' hearts and minds. If he can get them feeling confident, comfortable and aggressive, this team could look much, much better.

I alluded to this (upthread, I think), specifically about Stafford. I don't see him getting an A or a C as such, but I think Nolan is going to tell Stafford he is one of the key veteran leaders he is depending on. I think Staff will live up to the expectations Nolan sets for him.

Nolan on radio now

http://player.rogers....ca/cjcl/on_air

Ted:

Too many expectations put on the young guys. They look like beaten cats in the locker room.

No guarantees about winning. Just compete and the rest takes care of itself.

He's going to Sochi.

"Every coach is interim".

:blink: to the former, and the latter are very wise words, indeed.

OK....here's an interesting storyline...

How will Hodgson fare under Ted Nolan? It's one thing to be called out and benched as a floater by Ron Rolston, but given the family backstory and Nolan's insistence on bringing 100% effort and intensity, is Hodgson going to be the poster boy for setting the guys straight? If you're going to make a guy work til he pukes, he sure seems like the target.

Pierre Turgeon was the greatest floater in the history of hockey

From an old TBN article in 2002:

A few months ago, Nolan saw the movie "Ali" and starting thinking. Muhammad Ali went to prison after refusing to fight in the Vietnam War. He was exiled from boxing, but he never stopped thinking he was a champion. Eventually, he came back and proved himself again.

"I never stopped being a coach," Nolan said. "And I never stopped being a good coach."

Ali didnt go to prison..but if Nolan believes it and it makes him a better coach...-God bless him then.

OK....here's an interesting storyline...

How will Hodgson fare under Ted Nolan? It's one thing to be called out and benched as a floater by Ron Rolston, but given the family backstory and Nolan's insistence on bringing 100% effort and intensity, is Hodgson going to be the poster boy for setting the guys straight? If you're going to make a guy work til he pukes, he sure seems like the target.

Looked good last night, on both ends.

Hodgson actually went into the corner and threw a hit. Granted I missed the first but he looked good to me all night. More than anything I think Nolan and Patty will restore that pride that every Sabre should feel in putting on that jersey. I think they've had the life sucked out of them with DRs #blueprint.

Hodgson actually went into the corner and threw a hit. Granted I missed the first but he looked good to me all night. More than anything I think Nolan and Patty will restore that pride that every Sabre should feel in putting on that jersey. I think they've had the life sucked out of them with DRs #blueprint.

Now if they can just get the right shade of blue on those jerseys...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.