All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

Don't think this has been posted yet. http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/232238/37/Jean-Knox-Seymour-Would-Have-Been-Pleased-With-Nolans-Return

"I am so excited for Ted because he's the best coach that Buffalo ever had and I'm so glad he's going to be back...I think it's absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to come to a game," Mrs. Knox told 2 On Your Side.

Don't think this has been posted yet. http://www.wgrz.com/...h-Nolans-Return

"I am so excited for Ted because he's the best coach that Buffalo ever had and I'm so glad he's going to be back...I think it's absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to come to a game," Mrs. Knox told 2 On Your Side.

I wonder what the opinions are of those who had both Nolan and Ruff?

My hope is Sacco is still heavily influencing these given that Nolan doesn't know anyone really, and they aren't a preview of things to come.

Unless Ted Nolan underwent some sort of bizarre transformation, I don't anticipate Grigorenko's situation improving much. Time for the tranquilizers my friend :P

I would agree, since the knock on Grigs has been lack of consistent effort, unless he somehow has an awakening, he is going to be watching a good deal of hockey.

To not be 19years old and in the NHL on a team completely devoid of center talent or veteran leadership?

That would help, but then again, he was supposed to be the center talent. He just does not appear ready to step up yet. It is really too bad they cannot send him to Rochester. That is where he belongs right now.

TBN: Nolan offers players clean slate but gives lukewarm appraisal of practice, team's conditioning

Ted Nolan took over yesterday, hustled off the dais into some sweats and hit the ice to basically watch the Buffalo Sabres practices. Assistants, notably Joe Sacco, ran a bunch of drills.

Nolan really took over today.

His whistle was going nonstop and his voice echoed through First Niagara Center. There was tempo, chatter, sticks banging on the ice. It wasn't what anyone has seen around here when Ron Rolston was in charge. But don't think Nolan was satisfied because he wasn't.

"It went OK,' Nolan said. "We've got a lot of work to do. The biggest thing is to get these guys to feel good about themselves. If you feel good about yourself, you'll get better."

That would help, but then again, he was supposed to be the center talent. He just does not appear ready to step up yet. It is really too bad they cannot send him to Rochester. That is where he belongs right now.

I agree he belongs in Rochester. However, if we had some centres who could play heavy minutes offensively and defensively then we could give Grigo the easier matchups and let him learn. The fact is he is 2nd on our depth chart in the centre position. Which is scary, but also not his fault

Okay, someone help me out. The allegations of Nolan having an affair with Hasek's wife, I think that's the set-up, has this ever been proven true? I always thought it was a made-up rumor to justify all of the crap going on at the time.

Okay, someone help me out. The allegations of Nolan having an affair with Hasek's wife, I think that's the set-up, has this ever been proven true? I always thought it was a made-up rumor to justify all of the crap going on at the time.

I thought it was made up, as well. In fact, didn't we hear that same rumor about a goalie and a coach earlier this year. I can't remember the team, though.

TBN: Nolan offers players clean slate but gives lukewarm appraisal of practice, team's conditioning

Ted Nolan took over yesterday, hustled off the dais into some sweats and hit the ice to basically watch the Buffalo Sabres practices. Assistants, notably Joe Sacco, ran a bunch of drills.

Nolan really took over today.

His whistle was going nonstop and his voice echoed through First Niagara Center. There was tempo, chatter, sticks banging on the ice. It wasn't what anyone has seen around here when Ron Rolston was in charge. But don't think Nolan was satisfied because he wasn't.

"It went OK,' Nolan said. "We've got a lot of work to do. The biggest thing is to get these guys to feel good about themselves. If you feel good about yourself, you'll get better."

This is a critical element that seems to be overlooked in the "effort vs talent" debate. So much of happens on the ice is driven by what's between the ears. As someone else pointed out earlier today, the Sabres have a pretty good amount of talent, and at times a respectable amount of effort, but the package doesn't come together and result in crisp passes or good shots or being in the right spot in the fractions-of-seconds that they have during games to make those decisions.

I think Stafford is the poster boy for this. When he was scoring a few years ago, he was fast, decisive and confident. Now he looks like a zombie who believes he's incapable of making the game come to him.

Nolan understands players' hearts and minds. If he can get them feeling confident, comfortable and aggressive, this team could look much, much better.

This is a critical element that seems to be overlooked in the "effort vs talent" debate. So much of happens on the ice is driven by what's between the ears. As someone else pointed out earlier today, the Sabres have a pretty good amount of talent, and at times a respectable amount of effort, but the package doesn't come together and result in crisp passes or good shots or being in the right spot in the fractions-of-seconds that they have during games to make those decisions.

I think Stafford is the poster boy for this. When he was scoring a few years ago, he was fast, decisive and confident. Now he looks like a zombie who believes he's incapable of making the game come to him.

Nolan understands players' hearts and minds. If he can get them feeling confident, comfortable and aggressive, this team could look much, much better.

I think the problem is that the talent that exists is too young and inexperienced, and the roster is too haphazardly assembled for it to all come together at once, at least not regularly. I think most (all?) here would agree that confidence is huge...but it's hard to build confidence where by consequence of roster construction, you are required to be put in unfavorable situations at best, and doomed-to-fail situations at worst.

I think the problem is that the talent that exists is too young and inexperienced, and the roster is too haphazardly assembled for it to all come together at once, at least not regularly. I think most (all?) here would agree that confidence is huge...but it's hard to build confidence where by consequence of roster construction, you are required to be put in unfavorable situations at best, and doomed-to-fail situations at worst.

This is a very reasonable view. Still, though, the following guys have enough experience such that, with the right coaching, they COULD be playing somewhat-to-a-lot better than they are:

Myers

Ehrhoff

Weber

Stafford

Ennis

Moulson

Leino

(NB that including Moulson on that list is probably unfair - but with good coaching his linemates will improve and hopefully that will raise his game as well).

I think when you have guys reaching their potential, it raises the level of their teammates' play too -- by both inspiring them and reducing pressure on them.

I'm thinking of Myers in particular here. His defensive game has been much better this year, but he's contributed very little offense. What if Teddy can unlock his potential? The giant condor flying up the ice, driving to the net, blasting the slapper from the faceoff circle or slipping it to a trailer in the slot and then sending bodies flying -- that could make a huge difference on the team.

Maybe, maybe...

Hope! Change!

Don't think this has been posted yet. http://www.wgrz.com/...h-Nolans-Return

They really booted that headline of that article. "Would have been pleased"? They make it sound like she's dead and then later go on to tell us that she actually is pleased.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.