All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

It's nice have a leader who sounds like a leader.

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington1h

Nolan also said he WILL entertain the idea of bringing Patrick Kaleta back. #Sabres

...if ever there was a Ted Nolan type player, it is Patrick Kaleta. I hope he thumbs his nose at the league and brings Patty K. back up to the big club.

I hope Ville Leino goes right back to the press box.

I think guys like Grigorenko and Leino don't really fit what Nolan wants to do, which I'm guessing is a team 'crashers and bangers' and all-out effort guys. I don't think this team has had any sort of identity under Rolston... I'm glad Nolan will (hopefully) bring one. It is high time we establish what sort of team we want to be.

I hope Ville Leino goes right back to the press box.

The Nolan-Leino relationship will be interesting to watch. It could go either way. Leino hasn't been productive, but he's not the stereotypical soft Euro either. I can he and Nolan being fine together -- or a disaster.

I think guys like Grigorenko and Leino don't really fit what Nolan wants to do, which I'm guessing is a team 'crashers and bangers' and all-out effort guys. I don't think this team has had any sort of identity under Rolston... I'm glad Nolan will (hopefully) bring one. It is high time we establish what sort of team we want to be.

Grigorenko has been coming around. Hope Nolan lights a fire under him so we really see some passion to go with his talent. Leino needs to go bye bye as we all know.

26_Nolan%20-web%20gallery%20size143602255_slide.jpg

Look who's behind the coach working hard.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Great ex-Sabre twitter exchange...

Jay McKee@JayMcKee74 1h

What to expect with Ted Nolan running the ship. If you work real hard, you'll love him. If you don't work hard - you will be very soon!

Reply post...

Matthew Barnaby@MattBarnaby3636 1h

Or u will be gone!!! Plain and simple!! @JayMcKee74

Great ex-Sabre twitter exchange...

Jay McKee@JayMcKee74 1h

What to expect with Ted Nolan running the ship. If you work real hard, you'll love him. If you don't work hard - you will be very soon!

Reply post...

Matthew Barnaby@MattBarnaby3636 1h

Or u will be gone!!! Plain and simple!! @JayMcKee74

Somebody needs to go to an open practice and shoot a video of Drew Stafford curled up on the ice, puking his guts out.

I would pay serious money to see that :w00t:

For the record, I think that Ted Nolan was one of the most over-rated coaches in Sabres history. The whole "hardest working team" in hockey and the fighting were entertaining but his philosophy was basically let the other team take 75 shots at Hasek, block about 25 and then when they are frustrated and tired score a timely goal.

It was basically the rope a dope of hockey.

The notion that he worked well with younger players was also over blown. He worked well with marginal players who were grateful for the opportunity. He was knocked out of the playoffs largely because he tried to out tough the Flyers. The next year under Ruff, they utilized their speed and won rather easily.

All that being said, he is a good guy, a passionate guy and he can be entertaining for about a year and maybe with age and maturity he has developed a better feel for the X's and O's.

If the new GM is more progressive in his approach to the game, it would be surprising if he kept Nolan.

I think for that time and place the way hockey was being played he was a good fit for the team at that time. It was a much more physical game where fighting was still expected. I do agree he was not your x's and o's game planner.

I do think he may actually be a good fit as an interim coach to at least help some of these kids understand what it takes effortwise to play in the NHL and help the team to develop an indentity however i agree with the sentiment I would prefer the new GM to hire the man he feels is best for the job.

Speedy teams that liked to counterattack too.

Yep, get pinned in for nearly an entire shift and then get a good bounce and a 2-on-1 heading back up ice. Very fast squad and very willing to go through a wall for Teddy.

It was something we haven't seen in a long time - entertaining. (Of course, w/out Hasek, they'd've lost every game 5-1 which wouldn't have been entertaining.)

I'd really like to see Teddy hire some X&O guys. Motivated players that know what (& how) they are supposed to be doing. Could be good times.

Count me in the not thrilled camp with Nolan. Another failed Buffalo tire is getting a retread.

You guys can pump him up all you want, but he had Hasek and that was his coaching style.

I hope he's a changed man, I really do.

Count me in the not thrilled camp with Nolan. Another failed Buffalo tire is getting a retread.

You guys can pump him up all you want, but he had Hasek and that was his coaching style.

I hope he hires some guys that know how to coach. Few know better how to motivate.

That is a rather simplistic review of Ted Nolan's time with the Sabres. While they did rely on Hasek to make saves, they also fore checked, skated hard, and counter attacked effectively. He won Coach of the Year with laFontaine on the injury list for all but 12 games, and they won a playoff series and almost won another win with Hasek sitting out in his fake injury. I don't know how he will do this time, but you are going to see a much more motivated team from now on, for sure.

That is a rather simplistic review of Ted Nolan's time with the Sabres. While they did rely on Hasek to make saves, they also fore checked, skated hard, and counter attacked effectively. He won Coach of the Year with laFontaine on the injury list for all but 12 games, and they won a playoff series and almost won another win with Hasek sitting out in his fake injury. I don't know how he will do this time, but you are going to see a much more motivated team from now on, for sure.

There is a lot to write positive but as far as playoff series he wasn't close to winning another one and just barely won the first

I don't remember the underlined at all. Here is how i recall the mythical legendary Nolan teams.

Get pinned in your own zone for 3 solid minutes (other team is able to do not 1 but 2 complete line changes without losing possession).

Hasek making the original save, the rebound save, the 2nd rebound save, the deflection save, one hand batting the puck to the nuetral zone (since his team couldn't clear the puck) and finally deflecting the puck into the stands WITH HIS HELMET so his team could change lines

Getting into 3-4 fights a night so we could intimidate the other team that was outeverythinging us

a whole lot of 1-1, 0-0, 2-1 games

a defensive concept that made last years Ruff coverage look like it would win olympic gold

3-4 odd man rushes or breakaways that typically didnt result in a shot on net due to our lack of talent

Edited by drnkirishone

There is a lot to write positive but as far as playoff series he wasn't close to winning another one and just barely won the first

He only had two real hockey players on his team in his defense...Peca and Hasek....He got alot out of a crap team that was gutted along the same lines like this one has been...

I like Nolan on an interim basis only and then give the GM room to hire someone else if desired. If anything, Nolan will counterbalance the posh lockerroom and fireplace/entertainment studio dinning area at FNC. Will be nice to see Nolan lighting a fire under these guys a$$es.

Rolston never should have been an NHL coach, or at least not right now. Terrible decision.

Likewise, Darcy should have never been granted this 9 month or so free pass after they canned Lindy. They should have gone down together. Be that as it may, I'm glad Nolan and Patty are here now and that Pegula made the change. I have zero expectations, other than that Nolan will help instill better energy and work ethic in our young guys in a way that some of our softer Vets have not.

Nolan is about installing some, battle, heart pride and togetherness.

For the short-term, that is all we can reasonably hope for from any coach.

I doubt he is the answer long-term, but we'll see where we go from there.

90% of the time I don't think heart or battle was the reason for the on-ice product this season. That's probably a good chunk of why I'm so ho-hum about this. But as I said earlier, as long as it's interim, then whatever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.