All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

90% of the time I don't think heart or battle was the reason for the on-ice product this season. That's probably a good chunk of why I'm so ho-hum about this. But as I said earlier, as long as it's interim, then whatever.

Same. I see effort. With a few exceptions (leino, myers) its a talent/youth issue. Hopefully Nolan can squeeze a little more out of them for entertainment's sake, but not too much, the current path to the #1 pick would be best.

90% of the time I don't think heart or battle was the reason for the on-ice product this season. That's probably a good chunk of why I'm so ho-hum about this. But as I said earlier, as long as it's interim, then whatever.

I agree the heart was not the primary reason for our record. Talent was and will continue to be.

But Rolston seemed incapable of installing that go-through-the-wall-for-each-other, ###### the-world, together-until-the-end mentality. Most of us were prepared to handle losing, just not the soul-sucking, numbing brand of losing we have endured.

Nolan's best skill is creating that warrior feeling.

That is what will carry the players - and the fans - through this tough rebuild.

When I first heard Teddy was coming in the idea left me cold. Retread. Pandering. The game has passed him by.

But I am starting to see this as the first of what I hope will be many good decisions by Pat Lafontaine.

No one should kid themselves; we will be bad this year, and next year too. Teddy isn't going to fix that.

But the years have ground down the hopes of even the most optimistic members of the Sabres family.

What the franchise needs most right now is reason to be believe.

Everyone saying it's not "effort," I want to know where you were one year ago today. A lockout, yeah, but did you think the problem was effort, or skill? Because I remember an awful lot of people saying it was effort, and that coaching was the reason.

The interview with Teddy sounds like he has matured a bit. Milstick said he wasn't an x and o guy and that is what is needed in the current league. LOL what a tool, this coming from a goon who wouldn't know an x if it bit him in the O. That being said Nolan may well have picked up a few things and with the assistants he currently has inherited Xs and Os should be okay with more effort. Will see and at least it should be more entertaining er punishing hockey.

Everyone saying it's not "effort," I want to know where you were one year ago today. A lockout, yeah, but did you think the problem was effort, or skill? Because I remember an awful lot of people saying it was effort, and that coaching was the reason.

I thought they were a fringe playoff team (believe my prediction was 6th in the East), so pretty obviously I didn't think there was a huge talent or effort problem. Whoops. The roster sucked then, and it sucks now.

I can't help but look at Nolan and recall my teenage years when he was coach. The hardest working team in hockey stuff isn't a myth. Those teams were super-scrappy. It was always a minor miracle when they scored a goal, and Hasek was always making miraculous saves. Hasek didn't improve when he left, though, neither did any of the other players. Nolan, even more-so than Ruff, got the most out of marginal players, and I believe he has the ability to untap the true potential in players.

If you're wondering why he didn't get a job after leaving the Sabres, that was just the Indian Outlaw style back then...

I'm not sure if its been mentioned. I just got in and don't have time to read through the entire thread(s). One of my favourite moments from Teds previous incarnation as a Sabres coach was when he brought in the Hanson Brothers of slapshot fame for a pre-game pep talk. Of course this team at that time could go with anybody with the likes of Ray,,May,Barnaby,Boughner which was nice having that swagger. Does anyone have a clip of the Hanson bros in the room for the pep talk. I remember seeing it at the time and thought it would be cool for some of the younger guys to see it.

Nolan was fired because he stood up to Muckler. You're generally not supposed to do that when you're only the coach, even if you're a winning one. This sent a message to other GMs to stay away from him. As a fan, I'd like to have a coach that wins and that players enjoy playing for, be he "poison" or not. The learning experience here is find a GM that won't Muck with this coach (and will still bring in some decent talent).

Nolan was fired because he stood up to Muckler. You're generally not supposed to do that when you're only the coach, even if you're a winning one. This sent a message to other GMs to stay away from him. As a fan, I'd like to have a coach that wins and that players enjoy playing for, be he "poison" or not. The learning experience here is find a GM that won't Muck with this coach (and will still bring in some decent talent).

He wasn't fired. Muckler was fired. Regier offered Nolan a 1 year contract which Nolan declined.

Would love it if they sacked Sacco and hired Craig Ramsey as an Assistant.

I don't like Sacco from his days in Denver. Rammer might be a nice fit here in place of Sacco.

This is why I'm a big fan of The Hoff...

Christian Ehrhoff@TheRealHoff101h

People keep asking me today "So you have a new boss?" No, I'm still with my wife.

He wasn't fired. Muckler was fired. Regier offered Nolan a 1 year contract which Nolan declined.

Bottom line is Regier didn't really want him because of his reputation in dealings with Muckler. But R. for, PR purposes if nothing else since you're the new guy, couldn't just say "get lost." So though Nolan was not actually fired by Muckler, in effect he was.

It was a minority saying Lindy was a bad coach. A majority were saying the team was stale and a housecleaning was needed.

More people wanted Darcy gone than Lindy. Same for Connolly, Roy, Stafford, Hecht, Gaustad...

Bottom line is Regier didn't really want him because of his reputation in dealings with Muckler. But R. for, PR purposes if nothing else since you're the new guy, couldn't just say "get lost." So though Nolan was not actually fired by Muckler, in effect he was.

No. In effect Nolan was given a I'm-not-sure-if-this-will-work-so-we'll-keep-it-short contract. He was offered a job. I don't know in what universe being offered a job = being fired by the boss that was fired first.

It was a minority saying Lindy was a bad coach. A majority were saying the team was stale and a housecleaning was needed.

More people wanted Darcy gone than Lindy. Same for Connolly, Roy, Stafford, Hecht, Gaustad...

Oh, how I wish this were correct.

I cant speak for anyone other than myself, so with that being said if they had fired Darcy and given Ruff the reigns I would have been more than fine with that....Didnt happen so its moot but I wouldve liked to see it playout more than what played out in reality....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.