New President of Hockey Operations, Presser @10:30 a.m.

spndnchz

I've only been a hockey/Sabres fan for five years now so I can't say that I know much about Nolan. I know about LaFontaine. Reading here, I'm damn excited. If we're going to suck, we have to at least play hard. Seems like Nolan is the guy to at least get effort out of the guys. Getting Regier out is glorious news, but hopefully the new GM whoever he is will have the same ability to kick ass in the trade department.

Well, the last couple of seasons haven't really brought out the best in us. But better days are coming.

If nothing else, we've finally hit uncharted waters for just about the first time ever. The last time a change this major happened, the internet might as well have been in its infancy. Sure there were the ownership changes, but this is the first change that relates directly to what is happening on the ice. Predictability is dead. Things could go just about anywhere after this one.

It's been half my life. I didn't realize it until just now. That's crazy. Give it a few more years and then the Bills will have missed the playoffs for half my life.

Is he really your namesake with that spelling though? ;)

Wow double jeapordy and the Bills could do just that.

Well spelling is overated and how else am I to fly under the radar promoting myself.

Rosen mentions Dudley, Neil Smith and Craig Button as options. Button is a BIG NHL draft guy. Would make sense.

Button's resume includes his work as an analyst, but he had a stint from 2000-2003 with the Flames as their GM. He is known for a few things there: releasing Martin St. Louis (obviously didn't work out), and building the roster that ended up going to the Stanley Cup the year after he left. He also gets a lot of credit for their AHL squad winning the Calder Cup in 2001.

Edited by DStebb

We'll see. I give it 72 hours before we find something new to hate on. Love the hockey discussion, but contrived arguments for sake of having something to argue about all day don't do it for me. It became too much work to weed through the bull to get to the good stuff.

+1 Bingo, buy that man in the mustache a cigar.

If nothing else, we've finally hit uncharted waters for just about the first time ever. The last time a change this major happened, the internet might as well have been in its infancy. Sure there were the ownership changes, but this is the first change that relates directly to what is happening on the ice. Predictability is dead. Things could go just about anywhere after this one.

Yea... 16 years ago..

Google did not exist.

Netscape Navigator was the browser of choice

56Kbps was the top speed for internet access (on dial-up!)

Steve Jobs had just rejoined Apple

The NHL website looked like this: http://web.archive.org/web/19970620032311/http://www.nhl.com/

The only sad thing? The new GM will still have to know how to operate a fax machine.

Interesting that Rolston ran out of ink in his pen before the shootout last night. Got a new one from the trainer. For some reason that stuck in my head when I saw it last night.

Great catch.

I also re-watched, several times, the *BOOOSH* (only way I can describe it) fist-bump/handshake that Pysyk and Risto shared right before the shootout (when the camera panned down the bench).

Yea... 16 years ago.. Google did not exist. Netscape Navigator was the browser of choice 56Kbps was the top speed for internet access (on dial-up!) Steve Jobs had just rejoined Apple The NHL website looked like this: http://web.archive.org/web/19970620032311/http://www.nhl.com/ The only sad thing? The new GM will still have to know how to operate a fax machine.

FWIW, you could get significantly faster internet access if you were willing to pay for it. :)

My only regret - something like today's house cleaning should have happened when Terry Pegula bought our team. Ahhh well...... moving forward.. LETS GO SABRES!!!!!

Totally disagree. Don't make change just for the sake of change. Terry wanted to give DR and LR (and RR) ample opportunity to demonstrate why they should go (or not). I think he's given them that opportunity and now he knows why he's changing. It seems to be how TPegs operates. He won't fire you for a mistake, but rather take the whole body of someone's work. So far the body of work hasn't been great.

And how long until they overhaul the Amerks coaching staff as well? Cassidy was a Rolston guy.

I don't believe Chadd is necessarily gone. He is very bright and well spoken. He is very impressive in person.

The big thing with Patty is he's a downright good person. Very happy he's back.

Nolan brings something this team desperately needs - motivation. I've never been impressed w/ his X&O's; but he is clearly a leader and gets guys to put out a full effort. ANYONE that isn't on board WILL sit.

I just wish this was annonced 2 days ago; dealing with a hassle getting into the rink doesn't sound so bad right now.

Guys like Stafford are in for a rude awakening. Ted does not like slackers and guys who don't play sound defense in your own end.

Good. Because I think Staff has the skills and abilities to be a good, maybe great, player. I hope he responds well to having a fire lit under his ass.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.