New President of Hockey Operations, Presser @10:30 a.m.

spndnchz

Pat LaFontaine talking about offering Nolan the job "...Well you gotta take the job first, for this year." This year makes it sound like Nolan will get the entire year and they will make a coaching decision in the offseason... or could be nothing.

http://video.sabres...._source=Twitter

I'd assume that's the plan either way. No reason for even a new GM to bring in his guy right now. Have a more thorough search in the offseason.

Alright, it's been a couple days and a win since this went down. Here's what's still bothering me about this whole thing: all the "Blueprint" stuff from the past few months was confirmed as total nonsense. The team didn't have a plan or, at least, not one that they could commit to.

This was our year to bottom out. And that wasn't a bad idea with Vanek (now Moulson), Miller, and Ott all UFA after this season.

But 20 games into this thing, Terry and Ted realized "bottoming out is hard" so they gave up and started an all new plan they cooked up over a couple days. Why is this plan going to be any more well thought out than their last one? And do we even have a plan beyond the obvious PR benefit of bringing back LaFontaine and Nolan?

Plus, they did all this, what, two weeks after letting Regier trade their best asset (Vanek). They trusted him enough to do that but then decided "screw it, let's not have a GM for a while."

The team still has all the same problems. We're still going to need to trade Miller, Ott, and Moulson by the deadline. Or are we back to trying to re-sign these guys? The Sabres have flip-flopped between rebuilding and reloading over and over since Black Sunday.

We also need to find a good, experienced GM to make these trades by March 5th -- that's less than 4 months away. The best time to do this would have been right after last season. But that doesn't fit into the Sabres' patented keystone cops approach to running a team.

I like LaFontaine as the new PHO and I think Nolan is a good choice to turn a bunch of young players into a team. But there's still a ton of work to do and Uncle Terry seems flakier than ever. They really beat the odds by finding a way to remove Regier that still makes the team look disorganized and amateur.

I have an alternative: tank or no tank, they recognized Rolston was absolutely the wrong guy to direct the rebuild. His hiring was a critical failure at a critical time for the team given how many of our roster players are basically prospects we're counting on long term. Regier hired Rolston without even interviewing anyone and it turned into such a disaster that it was the nail in his coffin. Listening to LaFontaine, there was still enough talk about drafting high to convince me the tank plans didn't get tossed into the fireplace.

I have an alternative: tank or no tank, they recognized Rolston was absolutely the wrong guy to direct the rebuild. His hiring was a critical failure at a critical time for the team given how many of our roster players are basically prospects we're counting on long term. Regier hired Rolston without even interviewing anyone and it turned into such a disaster that it was the nail in his coffin. Listening to LaFontaine, there was still enough talk about drafting high to convince me the tank plans didn't get tossed into the fireplace.

Exactly my line of thinking. Before, I wanted the tank but wasn't really too excited because I wasn't confident that the decision makers/leaders were the right guys for the job. That's what this shakeup was about in my opinion. They wanted the fans to have more confidence in the decision makers during the tank.

Yep. The teaching coach wasn't teaching anything. The young guys were regressing and not progressing.

And I unfortunately agree that there is still enough talk of a long-term rebuild.

Alright, it's been a couple days and a win since this went down. Here's what's still bothering me about this whole thing: all the "Blueprint" stuff from the past few months was confirmed as total nonsense. The team didn't have a plan or, at least, not one that they could commit to.

This was our year to bottom out. And that wasn't a bad idea with Vanek (now Moulson), Miller, and Ott all UFA after this season.

But 20 games into this thing, Terry and Ted realized "bottoming out is hard" so they gave up and started an all new plan they cooked up over a couple days. Why is this plan going to be any more well thought out than their last one? And do we even have a plan beyond the obvious PR benefit of bringing back LaFontaine and Nolan?

Plus, they did all this, what, two weeks after letting Regier trade their best asset (Vanek). They trusted him enough to do that but then decided "screw it, let's not have a GM for a while."

The team still has all the same problems. We're still going to need to trade Miller, Ott, and Moulson by the deadline. Or are we back to trying to re-sign these guys? The Sabres have flip-flopped between rebuilding and reloading over and over since Black Sunday.

We also need to find a good, experienced GM to make these trades by March 5th -- that's less than 4 months away. The best time to do this would have been right after last season. But that doesn't fit into the Sabres' patented keystone cops approach to running a team.

I like LaFontaine as the new PHO and I think Nolan is a good choice to turn a bunch of young players into a team. But there's still a ton of work to do and Uncle Terry seems flakier than ever. They really beat the odds by finding a way to remove Regier that still makes the team look disorganized and amateur.

Maybe TP and TB realized what many of us have been saying: it didn't need to be as bad as it was, which was a complete embarrassment. And that DR's continued presence was accompanied by a dark cloud of loserdom and hopelessness that was not going to be eradicated by being able to draft a non-generational 18-year-old next year (who most likely would have been their 2nd choice) and that was going to infect this group of supposedly talented young players.

So while you're right that the plan has clearly changed, maybe it was a bad plan, and maybe they deserve credit for realizing that and changing it up with potentially the right guys leading the way.

I think they pretty much confirmed this with the time to stop tearing and start building talk.

They want to move forward with building the new core at the same time the last pieces of the old one are discarded.

Rolston wasn't getting it done and muffing that crucial element was Darcy's fatal mistake.

There's no doubt that the Rolston thing was another fiasco. But the time to clean house was right after last season.

Again, Sabres leadership was wrong and seemingly all the fans were right about what was going on in this franchise. That's disturbing. This franchise is alarmingly amateur. And right now it's really all on LaFontaine to provide some semblance of competence to this team.

There's no doubt that the Rolston thing was another fiasco. But the time to clean house was right after last season.

Again, Sabres leadership was wrong and seemingly all the fans were right about what was going on in this franchise. That's disturbing. This franchise is alarmingly amateur. And right now it's really all on LaFontaine to provide some semblance of competence to this team.

It really is ridiculous that we as mere fans of the game could be so right. It's vindicating and sad all at the same time.

Maybe TP and TB realized what many of us have been saying: it didn't need to be as bad as it was, which was a complete embarrassment. And that DR's continued presence was accompanied by a dark cloud of loserdom and hopelessness that was not going to be eradicated by being able to draft a non-generational 18-year-old next year (who most likely would have been their 2nd choice) and that was going to infect this group of supposedly talented young players.

So while you're right that the plan has clearly changed, maybe it was a bad plan, and maybe they deserve credit for realizing that and changing it up with potentially the right guys leading the way.

But the refrain (from me and others) the last few years is that there really wasn't a plan, or enough of a plan. We've changed course so many times since Black Sunday. We've been rebuilding a little bit at a time for like 6 years. Remember when trading Campbell at the deadline was part of a rebuild? If you rewrite the plan every 2 weeks, it's not really a plan.

So now we really, really, really, really do have a plan. Seriously. Or we will, once LaFontaine comes up with something. The Sabres are entering Bills territory when it comes to fresh starts. At some point they REALLY need to commit to a rebuild. I hope that is still the plan (as TBPhd says above).

But, all that aside, it's also troublesome that the last people in Buffalo to realize Regier was the wrong guy to lead the charge for this rebuild were the guys who run the team. That's fairly amazing.

Like I said: I like LaFontaine and Nolan, but the team looked incompetent even in bringing them in. I'm hoping PLF and TN actually let the Sabres demonstrate competence for once.

Like I said: I like LaFontaine and Nolan, but the team looked incompetent even in bringing them in. I'm hoping PLF and TN actually let the Sabres demonstrate competence for once.

besides that ###### mulberry and his lackeys i thought it was mostly regarded as a good move (patty as hockey ops and nolan as intern coach)

Miller is still assuming he is leaving given his interview last night. He pretty much said he doesn't trust that the team is going to keep the effort level up over time. He needs to see it. He also admitted he pretty much was playing the season for himself to this point. If he still wants to go, then you have 80% of the rebuild done anyway. Figure you get another late first and a second a year or two out. Ott is probably more important at this point to help nurture young guys.

There is no reason to ever try and bottom out in this league. You just have to be smart as to when to sell and when to buy. The team has been so depleted of gritty leaders for so long, if you want to truly change the culture, you need to add them. That doesn't mean spending $30 million on guys, but if you think the kids will figure it out on their own, you almost never get there.

They will still most likely pick top 5. They have a bunch of added picks the next 2 years. It's more about identifying who to cut bait with at elevated salaries. Myers, Stafford, Lieno and Tallinder alone take up $18 million. Let's see what they do for the next 15 games. That's the problem. The Sabres have spent and tied guys up while having their values in trades evaporate. Even if you try and move Hodgson at this point, his contract probably turns off half the teams in the league.

Just knowing Lafontaine then hearing him talk this week, there isn't a long period of no playoffs expected. I expect them to still be net sellers the rest of the year, getting a top 5 pick, then targeting a few gritty vets in the offseason through trade and FA in the mid tier of $3-6 million to help the kids continue the culture change, and I can see them spending close to the cap next year and internally expecting the team to compete for a playoff spot. There are still these bad contracts though. That's what they need to sort out the next 2 months before we know how realistic any plan is. If you got the consistent effort and style of last night from the bad contracts, they aren't horrible and you can add and subtract at the same time, making it a competitive team next year. If the consistency isn't there, then you use your buyouts and eat salary in trades just to clear the decks.

My guess is that Patty fully expects this team to be a Stanley Cup contender in 3 years. It can happen. We are so used to sitting on our hands as not to get burned that people forget how good hockey guys operate with aggressiveness and decisiveness.

But the refrain (from me and others) the last few years is that there really wasn't a plan, or enough of a plan. We've changed course so many times since Black Sunday. We've been rebuilding a little bit at a time for like 6 years. Remember when trading Campbell at the deadline was part of a rebuild? If you rewrite the plan every 2 weeks, it's not really a plan.

So now we really, really, really, really do have a plan. Seriously. Or we will, once LaFontaine comes up with something. The Sabres are entering Bills territory when it comes to fresh starts. At some point they REALLY need to commit to a rebuild. I hope that is still the plan (as TBPhd says above).

But, all that aside, it's also troublesome that the last people in Buffalo to realize Regier was the wrong guy to lead the charge for this rebuild were the guys who run the team. That's fairly amazing.

Well, this is by the by, but I don't think trading soupy was characterized as being part of a rebuild -- it was purely TG/LQ not being willing to pay the market rate for him.

As for the current situation, it seems to me that the plan is to start by getting the right guys to lead the organization -- which I think is the right call (and I would suspect you would agree). TP realized that wasn't the case -- later than we all wanted, but at least he didn't waste another year -- and started that process. PLF and the new GM will then decide whether the franchise is best served by trading the UFAs as well as other vets with trade value. This also seems like the logical move.

In the meantime, it looks like they are going to try to win games. I don't want to speak for you, but it seems like this is the part that you most disagree with. If so, that is fine, and you are welcome to your preference, but I'm glad they're trying.

Well, this is by the by, but I don't think trading soupy was characterized as being part of a rebuild -- it was purely TG/LQ not being willing to pay the market rate for him.

Trading Campbell was the right move. He never was worth the "going rate." Same goes for one of my all-time favorites, Jay McKee.

Cf. Versteeg.

Edited by Eleven

Trading Campbell was the right move. He never was worth the "going rate." Same goes for one of my all-time favorites, Jay McKee.

Cf. Versteeg.

Soupy wasn't worth the $50MM he got from Chicago, but he was sho' nuff worth the $25MM he wanted from the Sabres in the summer of 2007.

As for the current situation, it seems to me that the plan is to start by getting the right guys to lead the organization -- which I think is the right call (and I would suspect you would agree). TP realized that wasn't the case -- later than we all wanted, but at least he didn't waste another year -- and started that process. PLF and the new GM will then decide whether the franchise is best served by trading the UFAs as well as other vets with trade value. This also seems like the logical move.

In the meantime, it looks like they are going to try to win games. I don't want to speak for you, but it seems like this is the part that you most disagree with. If so, that is fine, and you are welcome to your preference, but I'm glad they're trying.

I want them to try. The environment was so toxic that I was worried about the long term effect it would have on guys like Grigorenko, Girgensons, Foligno, etc. The totally checked out, sleepwalking play we saw in the first 20 games is the opposite of a rebuild. But a lot of that was having so many veterans still on the team and just waiting to get traded.

I want them to burn everything down and start fresh. All the UFAs should have been gone by the draft last summer. This team should belong to guys 24 and younger. That means they're going to lose and they're going to draft high, but that's part of the process.

A team of young guys trying to carve out their place in the league shouldn't have motivation problems. But we accidentally cultivated a culture of half-assed effort by not (yet) going "all in" on the fire sale.

I hope LaFontaine does this. He'll need to hurry up and find a GM first, and we'd better hope it's the right one. (These are more problems from the Sabres being the last to know what the problem is -- which is what is bothering me about this whole thing.)

Miller is still assuming he is leaving given his interview last night. He pretty much said he doesn't trust that the team is going to keep the effort level up over time. He needs to see it. He also admitted he pretty much was playing the season for himself to this point. If he still wants to go, then you have 80% of the rebuild done anyway. Figure you get another late first and a second a year or two out. Ott is probably more important at this point to help nurture young guys.

There is no reason to ever try and bottom out in this league. You just have to be smart as to when to sell and when to buy. The team has been so depleted of gritty leaders for so long, if you want to truly change the culture, you need to add them. That doesn't mean spending $30 million on guys, but if you think the kids will figure it out on their own, you almost never get there.

They will still most likely pick top 5. They have a bunch of added picks the next 2 years. It's more about identifying who to cut bait with at elevated salaries. Myers, Stafford, Lieno and Tallinder alone take up $18 million. Let's see what they do for the next 15 games. That's the problem. The Sabres have spent and tied guys up while having their values in trades evaporate. Even if you try and move Hodgson at this point, his contract probably turns off half the teams in the league.

Just knowing Lafontaine then hearing him talk this week, there isn't a long period of no playoffs expected. I expect them to still be net sellers the rest of the year, getting a top 5 pick, then targeting a few gritty vets in the offseason through trade and FA in the mid tier of $3-6 million to help the kids continue the culture change, and I can see them spending close to the cap next year and internally expecting the team to compete for a playoff spot. There are still these bad contracts though. That's what they need to sort out the next 2 months before we know how realistic any plan is. If you got the consistent effort and style of last night from the bad contracts, they aren't horrible and you can add and subtract at the same time, making it a competitive team next year. If the consistency isn't there, then you use your buyouts and eat salary in trades just to clear the decks.

My guess is that Patty fully expects this team to be a Stanley Cup contender in 3 years. It can happen. We are so used to sitting on our hands as not to get burned that people forget how good hockey guys operate with aggressiveness and decisiveness.

Definitely. If you draft McDavid. :flirt:

But yea, I agree with what you said at the top. Miller already has three feet out the door. Moving him and then maybe Ott or Moulson puts the first stage of the rebuild 100% behind you. They've already started the second part in compiling young and talented players. The rest is just continuing to do that and then putting the right people around them so they can grow.

I want them to try. The environment was so toxic that I was worried about the long term effect it would have on guys like Grigorenko, Girgensons, Foligno, etc. The totally checked out, sleepwalking play we saw in the first 20 games is the opposite of a rebuild. But a lot of that was having so many veterans still on the team and just waiting to get traded.

I want them to burn everything down and start fresh. All the UFAs should have been gone by the draft last summer. This team should belong to guys 24 and younger. That means they're going to lose and they're going to draft high, but that's part of the process.

A team of young guys trying to carve out their place in the league shouldn't have motivation problems. But we accidentally cultivated a culture of half-assed effort by not (yet) going "all in" on the fire sale.

I hope LaFontaine does this. He'll need to hurry up and find a GM first, and we'd better hope it's the right one. (These are more problems from the Sabres being the last to know what the problem is -- which is what is bothering me about this whole thing.)

But trading every veteran effectively sends the message to the kids that you want to lose -- and then we're back in the toxic environment that everyone agrees we need to avoid. Nolan has said a number of times this week that kids can't be expected to compete against men.

Definitely. If you draft McDavid. :flirt:

But yea, I agree with what you said at the top. Miller already has three feet out the door. Moving him and then maybe Ott or Moulson puts the first stage of the rebuild 100% behind you. They've already started the second part in compiling young and talented players. The rest is just continuing to do that and then putting the right people around them so they can grow.

But aren't Miller and Ott the right guys to put around them? What is gained by trading them? Especially if you think they'll need to add these right guys from elsewhere to put around the kids?

Edited by nfreeman

But trading every veteran effectively sends the message to the kids that you want to lose -- and then we're back in the toxic environment that everyone agrees we need to avoid. Nolan has said a number of times this week that kids can't be expected to compete against men.

It sends a message that it's their team now. If they don't want to try, they can head back to the AHL until they're ready to try. (See: Luke Adam.)

There's nothing toxic about struggling as a young player. I think it's a lot different than being surrounded by veterans who are just waiting to move on to their next team.

But aren't Miller and Ott the right guys to put around them? What is gained by trading them? Especially if you think they'll need to add these right guys from elsewhere to put around the kids?

I don't think Miller is. He's a goalie so he won't give you any real technical advice on your position. And you can just watch him after every game, win or lose, that he isn't really into the whole leader of young players deal (in my opinion). He doesn't really seem to have that attitude. He's worn out and beaten down. He'll lead by example on the ice by giving his best effort every day, but he just doesn't give off the "in the lockerroom" leader of young men vibe.

Ott does. I wouldn't hate Ott sticking around, but he's not captain material. Plus, I think that Ott could bring in A LOT in a trade, because he's exactly what every contender wants.

Pat has a total logical plan. He sounds like many of us here....build a balanced team through a variety ways, but you need guys who have that special quality to get it done in the playoffs.

I'm sure he told Pegula point blank that the original idea of free agents wasn't bad. It was just clueless in assembling workable chemistry and was not playoff efficient on balance.

He also did say that impact guys tend to come from the front of the draft. But in reality, you know you are pretty much getting a top 5 pick this year. They already have extra ammo in picks the next 2 years, so I'm sure his plan isn't a total sell off now. They all said and Terry and Ted admitted....they need to change the culture of this team. That's a big admission, no matter how much they tried to spin things otherwise.

Really....I think it was a simple as Darcy failed miserably with an open checkbook, and did some spreadsheet hocus pocus to convince Pegula that tanking is the way to go. There are no expectations to win, and he had a 3-5 year free pass and a job. Whoops!!! Backfired!

Welcome to the world of actual hockey men trying to find men who play hockey. After 7 years of playing fantasy GM and business analyst on this board, it is nice to finally be able to sit back with a Mai Tai and relax....just being a fan again. Like you said...the statue is down and in all honesty.....I just want to forget about that guy after we all have our proper timeframe of celebration and catharsis.

The plan:

1) Change the culture of what is expected on and off ice from all employees

2) Play out the year and ditch the dead wood

3) Miller, Ott and Moulson become fair game again. You only have 3 months to figure it out, but all 3 are worth keeping at the right level

4) Enjoy your #1-8 draft pick next year and extra picks

5) Trade and target in FA, quality players who can get you the last 16 wins, not necessarily the first 82

I'd expect the internal goal just switched to having a team capable of making the playoffs next season and being a Stanley Cup contender in 3 years. There is no M/O other than the word BALANCE. If it makes sense to ship out young guys...do it. At the same time you can bring in a young guy. BALANCE is always the key and you can hear that philosophy loud and clear from Patty.

This is going to be fun. Win or lose, now everyone is actually going to be trying.

Very good post. I agree w/ all your points.

The team is still the same it was last week, but there is now hope there is light at theend of the tunnel. I'm glad DR is gone because after changing his philosophy of how to build a team 2 years after getting a blank check (after 14 years of thinking what he'd do w/ a blank check) he showed me he's out of his element.

Imlach had a philosophy that anyone was expendable as long as the departure made the team better. I fully expect Patty's new GM will share that philosophy. I'd actually like to see them take a finance concept to their player movement decisions - increase theNPV of their players in all movement.

Must See: Inside Hockey: Pat LaFontaine (extended version) 5:59

Video: Inside Hockey: Pat LaFontaine embraces new gig with Sabres

Pat LaFontaine was once the face of the Buffalo Sabres and now he's the man in charge.

Hockey Night in Canada's Elliotte Friedman sat down with LaFontaine in his Inside Hockey segment about the former star centre's new role as the Sabres' president of hockey operations.

LaFontaine shared his appreciation for the city of Buffalo, the search for the club's next general manager, and his plans for organization.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Now that the euphoria has calmed a bit there is one thing that concerns me.

It's Pegula and when he said *cross pollination* of duties and responsibilities.

My hope is that he was just slapping his gums together and having air move over his tongue and teeth. He has finally decided / been convinced to (?) hire a hockey man to run the hockey operations.

He had better let Patty run the show for the hockey department and not say one more thing, except I trust you implicitly and I will sign the cheques. If that is not the case, I give Patty 6 months tops.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.