Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I tend to agree with you on this. Everyone is looking for a center. And despite what Darcy believed you can never have enough good ones. Load up baby and either switch some to wing or trade for what you need from a position of strength.

Actually, I almost think the opposite. And it's EXACTLY why his firing was exactly what he deserved. I think Darcy KNEW that you need good centers. He just had no idea how to get them.

Actually, I almost think the opposite. And it's EXACTLY why his firing was exactly what he deserved. I think Darcy KNEW that you need good centers. He just had no idea how to get them.

That could be true also. He let it go soooo long it appeared he thought you didn't need any.

Three things.

Assuming we finish last, we will have two "first round" picks. NJ Devils have to forfeit their pick this year so we will then have the number 30 pick. (not factoring in that we could get the islanders pick)

The islanders currently have one more point than florida and calgary. but both florida have two games in hand. it is possible that the islanders occupy the number 3 slot, especially after trading away vanek.

Anaheim Ducks own the ottawa senators (12th) pick this year, giving them two firsts. Possibly a trade there? maybe Ott for that 1st and something?

This draft is going to be a huge draft for us. which i am sure you already know.

and Dal Colle on the other wing :thumbsup:

I like Dal Colle a lot. I think he a great winger in juniors and someone who I would like on the team. My other favorite winger is Jake Virtanen, big and one of the best skaters. Draisaitl i'd take over Virtanen but Virtanen is 6'1" 209lbs and loves driving to the net. 35g in 56games is also right up there for goals in his draft class. (Dal Colle has 33g in 54games)

Sabres had two scouts watching William Nylander in his game tonight.

Alex Nilsson@aalexnil Feb 11

@SabresProspects Toby O'Brien and Fredrik Anderson in the house watching William Nylander today. 1G so far from Nylander.

Report is Nylander has the most skill in this draft. He skates better, shoots better, and is as smart as Reinhart. The catch is he isn't a team player meaning sometimes tries to do to much on his own. His defensive game is iffy and sometimes he out thinks himself. The other issue is his size. 5'11" 170lbs. Will he be able to do what he does in the NHL? Will he fill out his frame or grow a little more?

These are the questions our scouts need answers to. If we can't get Reinhart or even if we could, I could see the Sabres taking Nylander if they really like him.

Edited by LGR4GM

Three things.

Assuming we finish last, we will have two "first round" picks. NJ Devils have to forfeit their pick this year so we will then have the number 30 pick. (not factoring in that we could get the islanders pick)

The islanders currently have one more point than florida and calgary. but both florida have two games in hand. it is possible that the islanders occupy the number 3 slot, especially after trading away vanek.

Anaheim Ducks own the ottawa senators (12th) pick this year, giving them two firsts. Possibly a trade there? maybe Ott for that 1st and something?

This draft is going to be a huge draft for us. which i am sure you already know.

We don't really have a reason to pursue Anaheim's first. But you're right. If we finish last we'll have possibly the first and last pick (technically) in the first round. The Isles could give us theirs, and we may acquire another later. Even though I want to start acquiring actual prospects that are close to NHL-ready, I disagree with any notion that we have "too many" picks. The more picks we make the more assets/prospects/potential we have for the future.

We don't really have a reason to pursue Anaheim's first. But you're right. If we finish last we'll have possibly the first and last pick (technically) in the first round. The Isles could give us theirs, and we may acquire another later. Even though I want to start acquiring actual prospects that are close to NHL-ready, I disagree with any notion that we have "too many" picks. The more picks we make the more assets/prospects/potential we have for the future.

I guess the reason I suggested it is that hey are a Stanley cup contender that has a first round pick that could land anywhere in the 10-14 range. If we snag their pick we could possibly hump up even higher with an extra 2nd rounder. It gives us a chance to get another solid choice if there is a guy that drops. Obviously a lot has to happen to make it a chance but it isn't out of the realm if possibility. I think in with you on obtaining as much as we can get. Now is the time to stock up even more so we increase our odds of getting some real contributors or increasing trade possibilities.

Sounds like Tim Murray was in St. Catherines tonight watching Ekblad amongst others.

Eric Schmitz@3rdManIn 3h

In St Catharines for Niagara vs Barrie. Sabres GM Tim Murray is here.

Eric Schmitz@3rdManIn 17m

Murray took off before the end of the game, once Barrie started to rest Ekblad near the end of the rout. He saw what he needed to see.

Eric Schmitz@3rdManIn 15m

Also, Detroit prospect Andreas Athanasiou had 5 goals & 2 assists for Barrie tonight. If DET wants a rental, think Murray would ask for him?

I think they'll take Sam Bennet, can play left wing / center :D

Again: many current top wingers were listed as just centers when they were drafted. You draft the best player available. You don't draft a guy because he already has some experience playing the position he'd play if he failed to do what you drafted him to do.

(That's not saying there's no way Bennett is better than Reinhart or others. I'm just saying the fact that he has experience at LW is irrelevant).

I don't think you want Girgensons or Larsson playing first line wingers and neither Reinhart or McDavid have the size of Dal Colle or Ritchie

According to their respective league's pages:

Dal Colle - 6'2", 171 lbs

Reinhart - 6'1", 183 lbs

McDavid - 6'0", 185 lbs

Now, Ritchie, on the other hand:

Ritchie - 6'3", 229 lbs

is a big boy.

I don't think you want Girgensons or Larsson playing first line wingers and neither Reinhart or McDavid have the size of Dal Colle or Ritchie.

Don't get me wrong, I want one of the Sams with the top pick and IM tank Nation strong for McDavid (or Eichel as a secondary prize). Just thinking that with the Islanders pick we should lean toward a big scoring winger - maybe Draisitl fits that bill?

Do you mean playing against other teams' first lines? That's exactly where I want Girgensons. He, Foligno, and someone else could form a really nice checking line some day. Problem is, the Sabs need two legit scoring lines first.

Edited by Eleven

Do you mean playing against other teams' first lines? That's exactly where I want Girgensons. He, Foligno, and someone else could form a really nice checking line some day. Problem is, the Sabs need two legit scoring lines first.

Larsson-Girgensons-Foligno could be one hell of a checking line. But yea, that doesn't really address this team's major problem going forward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.