Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Not sure what thread to post this in but with Ekblad emerging as a possible consensus #1 what about this scenario. If we end up getting the #1 pick do we take Ekblad or the forward we desperately need? If we go the forward route we are not drafting the best player available which i believe is not ever a good idea.

So here is another option. Are there any picks from last years draft that would be considered stronger players than Reinhart/Bennett? Yes there are. Now would any of those teams trade that player for Ekblad? Could we get Druin out of Tampa for Ekblad? Maybe add a 2nd or something if last years #3 is that much better than this years #1.

Or Ekblad to Ottawa for Lazar and another top prospect.

Just a thought.

I'd talk to Edm at #2 and say we would be willing to move back a spot and let you take Ekblad but we want your 1st and a 3rd or something like that. Or you can do what Colorado did and just take the forward regardless.

That being said I don't think Ekblad will be the consensus #1

I'd talk to Edm at #2 and say we would be willing to move back a spot and let you take Ekblad but we want your 1st and a 3rd or something like that. Or you can do what Colorado did and just take the forward regardless.

That being said I don't think Ekblad will be the consensus #1

MacKinnon made that decision a little easier. Reinhart and Bennett are not in that category.

True. I just don't see us needing another pick. Especially a 3rd rounder like you suggested.

maximizing assets. If Edm wants Ekblad and you get leverage another pick you do it. Make it one in 2015 if you'd like to have a little more to work with in the McDavid draft.

I am really scared about an Ekblad pick. The guy looks like he is 25 and I worry his success is because he is a man against boys.

He doesn't have elite skill, or a mean streak. I think he will have a good, long NHL career, but will never be a franchise defenceman.

I'm picturing best case scenario is Chris Phillips.

Reinhart and Bennett may not be franchise forwards, but I will be surprised if they are not first liners.

Lottery numbers, for those interested:

Chances of drafting 1st OR 2nd overall:

Finish last: 100% (25% chance of 1st overall, 75% chance of 2nd overall)

2nd last: 43.8% (18.8% chance of 1st overall, 25% chance of 2nd overall)

3rd last: 14.2%

4th last: 10.7%

5th last: 8.1%

6th last: 6.2%

This illustrates yo me why we need to keep rolling out the tanks. If we let Edmonton slip by us into last place, our chances of drafting top two drop by almost 60%. If two teams slip by us, our chances of drafting top two drop by more than 85%.

Maybe you say that drafting top three is more important, because whatever. Then the numbers shift:

Chances of drafting 1st OR 2nd OR 3rd overall:

Finish last: 100% (25% chance of 1st overall, 75% chance of 2nd overall)

2nd last: 100% (18.8% chance of 1st overall, 25% chance of 2nd overall)

3rd last: 58% (14.2% chance of 1st overall, 43.8% chance of 2nd overall)

4th last: 10.7%

5th last: 8.1%

6th last: 6.2%

There's a little bit of an oddity: you have better chance of drafting top three if you finish 3rd last than drafting top two if you finish 2nd last. In other words, 3rd last has less of a chance of being bumped down than 2nd last. I understand mathematically why this is, but not whether that was by design.

maximizing assets. If Edm wants Ekblad and you get leverage another pick you do it. Make it one in 2015 if you'd like to have a little more to work with in the McDavid draft.

I think think they will have more offers than we think. Probably some more enticing than a position flip and a third. At least i hope.

I am really scared about an Ekblad pick. The guy looks like he is 25 and I worry his success is because he is a man against boys.

He doesn't have elite skill, or a mean streak. I think he will have a good, long NHL career, but will never be a franchise defenceman.

I'm picturing best case scenario is Chris Phillips.

Reinhart and Bennett may not be franchise forwards, but I will be surprised if they are not first liners.

It might sound weird but I read a piece on ESPN that a lot of scouts in sports are weary of players who can already grow a full beard because it often means they have completely matured physically already without anymore room for growth.

If we could trade the #1 overall for a Ryan O'Reilly or Evander Kane would you?

I ask because you hear that this draft class isn't that good and those are two very good NHL players. Also, I don't get to see a lot of junior hockey so I really have no opinion on the prospects other than what I read.

Thanks.

It might sound weird but I read a piece on ESPN that a lot of scouts in sports are weary of players who can already grow a full beard because it often means they have completely matured physically already without anymore room for growth.

Isn't this some of what we saw with Kassian? He seemed like the Terminator at 18 because he was 6'3" and 220 pounds already and playing against teenagers. But when you're suddenly in a league with lots of badasses that big or bigger, you tread a little lighter (at least to start).

Opposite of what we're seeing with Catenacci. Being small and fast doesn't get you as far in the AHL or NHL as it did in the OHL.

Maybe the sweet spot is to draft someone who is productive already but is still getting bigger and stronger.

If I were exucuting this draft I would make sure that I land not only Reinhart but also Virtanen. He is big, skates great, great shot and is RHS. Should be around 8-11th in first round when he gets grabbed.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=702572

Love everything I read about Virtanen too, but he'll be tricky to get if NYI defers to next year. We'd basically have to trade for pick no.6-9 during the draft and who knows what those teams will want. It'd be the type of aggressive move that I like though.

If we could trade the #1 overall for a Ryan O'Reilly or Evander Kane would you?

I ask because you hear that this draft class isn't that good and those are two very good NHL players. Also, I don't get to see a lot of junior hockey so I really have no opinion on the prospects other than what I read.

Thanks.

No.

Love everything I read about Virtanen too, but he'll be tricky to get if NYI defers to next year. We'd basically have to trade for pick no.6-9 during the draft and who knows what those teams will want. It'd be the type of aggressive move that I like though.

I am guessing the NYI end up at 7th or 8th overall if they dont defer, Virtanen and Reinhart would be awesome prospects.

I am guessing the NYI end up at 7th or 8th overall if they dont defer, Virtanen and Reinhart would be awesome prospects.

The Isles are currently 8/9 points out of seventh or eighth with two more games played that Ottawa and one more than the other two teams.

The Isles are currently 8/9 points out of seventh or eighth with two more games played that Ottawa and one more than the other two teams.

i just noticed this too. 3 losses in a row for them. 8 points out of 6th. they are going to have a hard time getting to 7/8 if you ask me. i just dont see them finishing out better than the devils/ottawa. this is good news.

i just noticed this too. 3 losses in a row for them. 8 points out of 6th. they are going to have a hard time getting to 7/8 if you ask me. i just dont see them finishing out better than the devils/ottawa. this is good news.

For sure. I think we're going to end up with a top five pick from the Isles this year. Especially if they trade Vanek. I really don't think they can afford to defer. Too dangerous with what is coming in next year.

For sure. I think we're going to end up with a top five pick from the Isles this year. Especially if they trade Vanek. I really don't think they can afford to defer. Too dangerous with what is coming in next year.

i feel the opposite, they simply cannot give up talent that would be a top 5 pick this year after giving up moulson and missing out on vanek(assuming they dont sign him.) i just cannot see how they could justify it even though mcdavid is coming next year. but i do understand why you have a solid argument, apparently this mcdavid guy is pretty good ;)

Draft drops off after five. They will keep a top five.Obviously they will give us a pick outside the top 10.

The issue is what will they do if their pick falls in between. I'd bet they will defer.

If they don't, it is a clear sign that they are planning on tanking.

Edited by dudacek

If we have the #1, the first thing I'd do is see if we could fleece Edm into sacrificing goods to Buffalo for Ekblad, seeing as the last thing Edm needs is another forward.

Edmonton has to be thinking the opposite of Buffalo. "There's no way Buffalo drafts another defenseman here." Why would they trade up? Unless they were worried Buffalo would trade the pick to another team that would draft Ekblad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.