Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Me thinks we should select the "German Gretzky" in the first round;

Why Reinhart?

Me thinks you should look up the WJC and also how Draisaitl has played since and then say NO we shouldn't.

Reinhart is the smartest player in the draft. He is very skilled at puck distrubution and playing a solid 2-way game. He is a Center and also is scoring at a torrid pace. Why anyone else other Reinhart is the question I pose to you.

The only way the Islanders defer their top 5 pick this year is if Garth Snow gets fired. He can not pass up on a top 5 pick, no matter how soft the draft is after the top 3 or 4, and concede that the team with John Tevares may actually be worse the following year.

That being said the Islanders have stock piled a number of good prospects and have some good young players already on the team. So hoping that they come bottom 2 or 3 next year is wishful thinking on our part and we may be better off with two picks in the top 5 this year (Reinhart and Dal Colle perhaps) and our own 1st next near. Either way, it seems to work out pretty well for the Sabres.

Me thinks you should look up the WJC and also how Draisaitl has played since and then say NO we shouldn't.

Reinhart is the smartest player in the draft. He is very skilled at puck distrubution and playing a solid 2-way game. He is a Center and also is scoring at a torrid pace. Why anyone else other Reinhart is the question I pose to you.

Yep. Draisaitl was not very good when up against his peers in one of the best competitions in the world. Reinhart on the other hand was one of Canada's best players in the tourney IMO. Since then, Sam has done nothing but completely rip up the WHL. If Reinhart is on the board when the Sabres pick, it has to be him taken.

If we get two top five picks and one is first overall, I'd take Draisaitl at the bottom of the top five with Reinhart at one. Safe pick and a risky one. I like Draisaitl's upside. He might have the highest ceiling in the draft.

I'd prefer to get both Sam's, but if Bennett is gone by our second pick then I go Draisaitl despite the fact that I do like Dal Colle a lot.

Yep. Draisaitl was not very good when up against his peers in one of the best competitions in the world. Reinhart on the other hand was one of Canada's best players in the tourney IMO. Since then, Sam has done nothing but completely rip up the WHL. If Reinhart is on the board when the Sabres pick, it has to be him taken.

Draisaitl was playing against his peers but the rest of the German team wasn't. He was the best player on an outmatched German team and still put up 6 points in 6 games. It's tough to criticize a guy for that. What would he have done if he'd been on Team USA?

His stock is probably falling but I really don't think it should be. If he's the guy we end up drafting, he's still our best draft prospect since Vanek.

If we get two top five picks and one is first overall, I'd take Draisaitl at the bottom of the top five with Reinhart at one. Safe pick and a risky one. I like Draisaitl's upside. He might have the highest ceiling in the draft.

I'd prefer to get both Sam's, but if Bennett is gone by our second pick then I go Draisaitl despite the fact that I do like Dal Colle a lot.

This is where I am too. It would also increase the diversity of our already diverse prospect pool.

Draisaitl was playing against his peers but the rest of the German team wasn't. He was the best player on an outmatched German team and still put up 6 points in 6 games. It's tough to criticize a guy for that. What would he have done if he'd been on Team USA?

His stock is probably falling but I really don't think it should be. If he's the guy we end up drafting, he's still our best draft prospect since Vanek.

I agree. I was thinking in direct comparison to Reinhart. I would take Reinhart over Draisaitl. Bennett and Dal Colle would also probably make the list before Draisaitl. However Leon Draisaitl has shown considerable skill this season and would be someone to seriously consider outside the top 3.

Tough call because these guys at the top seem relatively even. The two Sams as natural centers would seem to be the two most likely candidates. Reinhart might be a little better now, but he is more than 1/2 year older than Bennett (and Dal Colle).

Which guy is faster? ...that's the one I like. :)

NHL Prospect Hot List: Baillie battles haters

By: Ryan Kennedy on February 11, 2014

It may be an Olympic break for the NHL, but all the prospect circuits are still playing and some of the games are biggies. First and foremost, Boston College beat Northeastern 4-1 Monday night to clinch the school’s fifth straight Beanpot tournament, with Harvard taking a 6-2 consolation win over Boston University in the other match. Also, Sweden’s Farjestad team will take on the American League’s finest at the AHL All-Star Game in St. John’s this Wednesday. With all that in mind, here’s a look at some of the players we’re excited to see in the NHL one day.

Sam's going to force the Oilers to pick him when they win the lottery.

That's what's crossing my mind too.

Oh I don't think he's going to be a poor prospect but I was more answering the question why I wouldn't take Draisitl first. If it's Sam and him, I take Reinhart all day long. If we end up picking 4th or 5th (whether it's ours or the Isles pick) I'd be happy to take the German.

At some point we have to start seriously thinking about wingers dont they?

How many Centres can you have in the system? We already have Hodgeson, Grigorenko, Compher, Larsson, Girgensons (though could play wing). Its 99% sure they will have one of the Sams. Plus, Im going to assume that the Sabres pick top 3 next year as well and all the top prospects - McDavid, Eichel, Strome and Barzal are all centres.

Thats why I like Dal Collie or Ritchie with the potential 2nd pick.

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button:

Michael Dal Colle is just beginning to 'touch' his physical maturity. His combination of size, skill and power will only be enhanced as he continues to grow on and off the ice.

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button: Ritchie's blend of skill, power and size is second to none. He has an excellent shot that can overwhelm goalies. He has the capability of being brilliant yet is still growing as a player. Scary thought!

If anyone is keeping track - 42 points is the magic number to wrapping up last place.

How many Centres can you have in the system? We already have Hodgeson, Grigorenko, Compher, Larsson, Girgensons (though could play wing). Its 99% sure they will have one of the Sams. Plus, Im going to assume that the Sabres pick top 3 next year as well and all the top prospects - McDavid, Eichel, Strome and Barzal are all centres.

I'd say, it's easier to move someone from center to wing than the other way around. And, you can't bet that we'll be last next year. It's likely, but this team needs a #1 center badly (at the very least to share with Hodgson), so you take that now. Elite centers aren't that common, you can't pass on your chance. If we end up with a better center next year in the draft, move someone to wing or trade this year's center for a wing.

Michael Dal Colle is just beginning to 'touch' his physical maturity. His combination of size, skill and power will only be enhanced as he continues to grow on and off the ice.

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button: Ritchie's blend of skill, power and size is second to none. He has an excellent shot that can overwhelm goalies. He has the capability of being brilliant yet is still growing as a player. Scary thought!

If anyone is keeping track - 42 points is the magic number to wrapping up last place.

A lot of the great wingers today were drafted as centers. In lesser leagues your best player will normally play center because they gets them the puck the most.

Reinhart, Girgensons, Compher, Larsson and McDavid can all comfortably play on the wing.

After years of ignoring the position, I'm fully behind loading up.

I don't think you want Girgensons or Larsson playing first line wingers and neither Reinhart or McDavid have the size of Dal Colle or Ritchie.

Don't get me wrong, I want one of the Sams with the top pick and IM tank Nation strong for McDavid (or Eichel as a secondary prize). Just thinking that with the Islanders pick we should lean toward a big scoring winger - maybe Draisitl fits that bill?

I don't think you want Girgensons or Larsson playing first line wingers and neither Reinhart or McDavid have the size of Dal Colle or Ritchie.

Don't get me wrong, I want one of the Sams with the top pick and IM tank Nation strong for McDavid (or Eichel as a secondary prize). Just thinking that with the Islanders pick we should lean toward a big scoring winger - maybe Draisitl fits that bill?

Get your top end guys down the middle first and then move a couple to the wing if need be. Historically the great teams in the league are deep down the middle.

None of those guys have proven they can play center at the NHL Larsson at best is a 3rd line center. COmpher and Girgensons could end up being wingers and so far seem to be good there. Grigorenko I think needs to be moved to wing.

That being said, Dal Colle and Ritchie I would love to pick up. Reinhart though is a step above it.

If you get Reinhart this year and McDavid next year, you get to put Reinhart on McDavid's wing... that is going to be amazin if it happens.

I want the Sabres to continue to draft, sign, and trade for centers until the NHL roster has a set of three that can be good enough to contend for a Cup. Then, and only then, will I begin to care about wingers.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but I think you get the idea :)

I'm bored and was doing random standings math:

If the Sabres were to perform at the PPG pace that the best team in the league (standings wise- Anaheim) did (1.45 PPG) for the remainder of their season, they would finish with 74-75 points. For them to fall out of the bottom five of the standings the sixth place team (Nashville who has 60 points in 59 games) would have to perform at a pace lower than the worst team in the standings (Buffalo).

So it's safe to say we'll be picking somewhere in the top six FOR SURE (with a 76.8% chance that they'll be picking in the top five).

Edited by Tankalicious

I want the Sabres to continue to draft, sign, and trade for centers until the NHL roster has a set of three that can be good enough to contend for a Cup. Then, and only then, will I begin to care about wingers.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but I think you get the idea :)

I tend to agree with you on this. Everyone is looking for a center. And despite what Darcy believed you can never have enough good ones. Load up baby and either switch some to wing or trade for what you need from a position of strength.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.