Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Sabres had Brendan Perlini at the game tonight as a guest. He got a tour of the arena and got to meet the team. Is this a common thing for eligible draft players to go to NHL arenas and meet teams? Anyone know?

Jason Woolley is Brendan's agent, so that probably unlocks a few doors. The kid has been to quite a few Sabres games this year on his own, too.

If Buffalo drafts a defenseman with their 1st pick when they are offensively challenge I think people will be pissed. We need Reinhart or Bennett with that first pick if we have a top 3 pick. Also It all depends on what New York does with that pick they traded us. If I'm another team wanting Vanek I don't plan on giving up a lot for him since he's going to test the market. Plus watching Vanek in New York is he's been very lazy. I'm not spending big money on a player that isn't going hard all game. To me Tavares is worth every penny. I'm sure management and teammates are pissed since he turned there offer down. The message it's sends is so bad. He knows he's going to get paid bank. I still think he goes to Minny after Heatley is gone at the end of the season.

The wild will have two scary top lines next year

Vanek - Granlund - Pominville

Parise - Koivu - Niederreiter/Coyle

Edit: why does Pommers name get changed into Pomminstein half the time ?

Because you are misspelling it half the time. Autocorrect changes PoMMinville to Pomminstein but leaves it alone when you spell it Pominville.

Edited by weave

So the question becomes can the Sabres get another number 1 pick out of anyone in this group for either another top 4 this year or a pick next year. I say package Stafford and Molson together to a team struggling to score... say to FLA probably not, but NJ for one last push for a #1 and #2 next year?

It is still hard for me to guage what might get the Sabres more decent No 1 picks this year or next.

So the question becomes can the Sabres get another number 1 pick out of anyone in this group for either another top 4 this year or a pick next year. I say package Stafford and Molson together to a team struggling to score... say to FLA probably not, but NJ for one last push for a #1 and #2 next year?

It is still hard for me to guage what might get the Sabres more decent No 1 picks this year or next.

Nobody is giving up a top five pick for Stafford and an upcoming UFA...

According to Sportsclubstats.com, after last night's win at Phoenix, the Sabres chance of finishing:

30th: 72%

29th: 22%

28th: 5%

27th: 1%

26th or higher: 0%

(rounded to nearest whole %)

Edit: I see now it used "weighted" predictions on the remainder of the season which somehow used past performance to predict future outcomes.

If I change it to use coin flips for the rest of the games:

30th: 51%

29th: 30%

28th: 11%

27th: 5%

26th: 2%

25th: 1%

24th or higher: 0%

The Sabres chances at finishing 30th jumped from 75% to 85% after last night's loss to Edmonton.

And the loss makes it magical.

Just in case anybody is wondering, the Sabres opponents after the Olympic break have a combined record of 697-533-191.

13 of the final 25 games are against teams in the bottom half of the standings (17-29).

12 of the final 25 games are against teams currently holding a playoff spot.

Edited by Tankalicious

According to today's TSN Radio interview, Tim places the most emphasis on intelligence and competitiveness.

He also raved about our top four prospects on D and said we are weak down the middle.

I smell a Reinhart pick :thumbsup:

I think we'll end up with Reinhart and one of Dal Colle/Draisaitl/Nylander/Perlini with the Islanders pick.

According to today's TSN Radio interview, Tim places the most emphasis on intelligence and competitiveness.

He also raved about our top four prospects on D and said we are weak down the middle.

I smell a Reinhart pick :thumbsup:

Maybe reading too much into this, but this sounds like an endorsement of Devine.

Ah Duh, we on this board have been saying that since Drury left and the Tin Man was obviously cephalically compromised. Just wondering why no deals before Olympic hiatus... not good enough offers, what does that mean, teams are looking for a fire sale and not offering enough?

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.