The other sports thread

Eleven

Girardi: Chapman's World Series use may be affecting him this year

https://www.thescore.com/news/1333753

(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Oh, eat ######, Girardi! Your bullpen management and your pitching coach and the fact that your entire bullpen ###### blows this year and you want to blame last year's world series?

I don't have time for excuse makers. The Yankees would be the best team in baseball is the game was only 8 innings. That's a ###### joke.

Oh, by the way, Joe Espada, the 3rd base coach...yup, he ###### sucks too! Learn to hold a ###### runner with 1 out, Joe!

The sweet sound of a Yankee fan's misery. Give me more!

I've got a buddy who is a huge Dodgers fan and I feel like I have to hear about this every single year. They've been good, they might be better this year, but they still have yet to do anything in the last 29 years. They're working on 5 division titles in a row and 0 pennants. They need to show up in the playoffs at least once this century.

Puig batting 7-8 in the order.  This team seems to be genuinely better.  They made it to the NLCS last season, so it isn't like they didn't make noise, but they do need to put it all together at some point.  The horses are there........

I've got a buddy who is a huge Dodgers fan and I feel like I have to hear about this every single year. They've been good, they might be better this year, but they still have yet to do anything in the last 29 years. They're working on 5 division titles in a row and 0 pennants. They need to show up in the playoffs at least once this century.

Clayton Kershaw vs. Playoff Clayton Kershaw

untitled-24.jpg

Tyler Clippard is no longer a New York Yankee. Thank Christ!

This trade chaps my ass pretty good as the Red Sox could really have used Frazier and Robertson. The price the Yankees paid was steep and I don't think dumbrowski was willing to part with the kind of assets the Yankees did.

Tyler Clippard is no longer a New York Yankee. Thank Christ!

This trade chaps my ass pretty good as the Red Sox could really have used Frazier and Robertson. The price the Yankees paid was steep and I don't think dumbrowski was willing to part with the kind of assets the Yankees did.

Love this trade for the Yankees. Much more excited about the bullpen help than I am about Frazier honestly. He's a solid rental, and with Torres probably coming up next year and a healthy* Bird, losing him shouldn't hurt at all

Love this trade for the Yankees. Much more excited about the bullpen help than I am about Frazier honestly. He's a solid rental, and with Torres probably coming up next year and a healthy* Bird, losing him shouldn't hurt at all

Huge, huge trade for the Yankees bullpen. Rutherford doesn't see triple A for 2 more seasons, won't see the bigs for at least 3 more years. I'm cool with the Frazier pick up, a little optimistic, actually. His line drive rate has me thinking he's had a lot of bad luck on balls put in play this year.

I'm not optimistic about Greg Bird at all. I think the Yankees need a long term solution at 1B. The Toddfather could be an option on a 1 year deal. He shouldn't cost too much next year if contracts for power hitters last year are any indication. He's also a good DH option, or Chase Headley insurance. He's more valuable than Matt Holliday because he can play both infield corners.

1-5 against the reigning AL champs this season.

Speaking of 1-5, said AL champs are 1-5 in their last 6, including their first 4-game losing streak of the season (they were one of five teams who hadn't suffered such a streak at the All-Star break).  D'oh!

Red Sox players embracing their inner masshole.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/07/23/shaughnessy/LFEh4ADdxNLjW2B7UWEVrJ/story.html?s_campaign=bostonglobe%3Asocialflow%3Atwitter

Here's the thing. Eckersley has won a World Series, and signs his name with "HOF" at the end. For David Price, or anyone to contend that he doesn't understand the game is idiotic. So what, Eck pointed out that a player's (not Price's, incidentally) bad stats were indeed bad. Grow a pair.

Now, I think Boston should be razed and the earth salted so nothing ever grows again at the best of times, but no matter what team and what what sport for that matter, have a little class. The bad player in question has to know it, so go do something about it.

So, apparently the Blue Jays management had a press conference yesterday to announce that they are giving up on this season.

I realise that they are terrible and the season is over, but who makes that announcement?

Darcy Regier.