The other sports thread

Eleven

Jordan has 6 NBA titles. A number of records belong to him. Jordan has the all-time record for leading the NBA in scoring. He did that 10 times. Jordan has career records for regular season scoring. He averaged 30.12 points a game. Jordan also has that record for the playoffs. Averaged 33.5 points. Jordan has a number of records. I could go on and on. Jordan is the greatest of all time.

Did anyone suggest otherwise?

Did anyone have to?

And yes, someone did. Trying reading other posts. It'll help you out.

If you're referring to my post I claimed Kobe might be better than LeBron, that doesn't make Kobe the #1 of all time though

Also, anyone find it odd that only in basketball do we use first names to refer to some players, if not a lot of them? In every other sport it's the last name

Edited by WildCard

If you're referring to my post I claimed Kobe might be better than LeBron, that doesn't make Kobe the #1 of all time though

Also, anyone find it odd that only in basketball do we use first names to refer to some players, if not a lot of them? In every other sport it's the last name

Wasn't referring to your post.

Did anyone have to?

And yes, someone did. Try reading other posts. It'll help you out.

What kinda are you?

Better yet if ome to the Sabrespace Meetup so I csn get a big whiff of what a real smells like.

Edited by inkman

Soccer has a long history of referring to players by first name only. In the NBA, it helps that some players have unique names so there's no confusion. To wit, there's only one LeBron in the NBA (I assume); I don't think people commonly refer to Jordan or Bird as "Mike" or "Larry" as there have been at least dozens of each name to play.

Everyone calls the QB of the Bills what? (I actually make a conscious effort to call him Taylor, but let's face it, everyone calls him Tyrod.)

Anyway.  I think the following are definitely ahead of LeBron James, and that's just in my lifetime:

Michael Jordan

Magic Johnson

Kobe Bryant

Soccer has a long history of referring to players by first name only. In the NBA, it helps that some players have unique names so there's no confusion. To wit, there's only one LeBron in the NBA (I assume); I don't think people commonly refer to Jordan or Bird as "Mike" or "Larry" as there have been at least dozens of each name to play.

I think the unique first name is why fans call them by first rather than last. Names like LeBron, Kobe, Tyrod etc. are unique enough where they can be easily identified.

Especially since as I read the last names of those three (James, Bryant, Taylor) I realize that they are about as a generic as they get  :o

What kinda ###### ###### are you?

Better yet if ome to the Sabrespace Meetup so I csn get a big whiff of what a real ###### smells like.

Would you like some cheese w/ that wine?

No need to overreact.

Edited by GoPre

No inks a normal guy. No threats were made. No poster names or addresses were included nor do I have a military background with access to firearms.

BOOM!!

Good one. I got nothing. 

In my defense though it was a tire iron, no firearms were involved. 

Is it really all that impressive though? It's like the Dream Team beating up on nobody's

Having your league that lopsided and completely unwatchable for that long is just insane to me. The NBA is so concerned about players being rested affecting their ticket sales, and meanwhile only 10 games a year are actually important and fun to watch for the average fan

Aren't you...a Yankees fan? Granted you were pretty young at the time, but yea.

Everyone calls the QB of the Bills what? (I actually make a conscious effort to call him Taylor, but let's face it, everyone calls him Tyrod.)

Anyway. I think the following are definitely ahead of LeBron James, and that's just in my lifetime:

Michael Jordan

Magic Johnson

Kobe Bryant

There's an argument for Magic, but Kobe ahead of LeBron is insanity. He wasn't even the best player on his own team for three of his championships!

My buddy has him behind Kobe

Your friends have horrible sports opinions.

Aren't you...a Yankees fan? Granted you were pretty young at the time, but yea.

There's an argument for Magic, but Kobe ahead of LeBron is insanity. He wasn't even the best player on his own team for three of his championships!

Your friends have horrible sports opinions.

Well yeah but those Yankees teams were home grown. Only when they started buying people were they unsuccessful. But yeah, I hate MLBs salary style. I would give anything for a cap

Yeah I read a good article on Kobe vs LeBron, it's not even close.

And yes, yes they do :lol: