The other sports thread

Eleven

Yeah the nature of the MLB kinda makes it that way. 

It's the only sport where the casual observer doesn't have any clue where a prospect comes from.  They pretty much materialize out of thin air.  Maybe it's different if you're in a market where college baseball is big, but other than some of the mega prospects like Harper, you pretty much never hear just about anything about these guys right up until they're about to get called up.

It's the only sport where the casual observer doesn't have any clue where a prospect comes from.  They pretty much materialize out of thin air.  Maybe it's different if you're in a market where college baseball is big, but other than some of the mega prospects like Harper, you pretty much never hear just about anything about these guys right up until they're about to get called up.

Pretty much. The fact that there's so many of them, a ton of them are out of high school, a lot are foreign, college baseball isn't that big so they're not showcased, and that most of them don't make it...it's a combination of a ton of things

Nah, the MLB draft is easy. It's 40 rounds and you really only have to pay attention to the first one. If you pay attention to college ball, you'll know about 1/3rd of the kids in the first.

It's high school and college only, so you can't draft players from Latin America, or Japan, or anyplace in the French or Dutch Caribbean. All those guys are free agents, and the teams sign them when they're about 16.

The pay scale is the only confusing thing. It is nothing like the NFL, NHL, or the NBA. You get a set amount of money to sign all your picks. All of them won't sign. Some will go to college to improve their draft position. Some won't play baseball. Some don't like being drafted 17th overall and want to go number 1 to the Pittsburgh pirates the very next year(Gerrit Cole). Some won't like the money offered and will chose college. Once they go to college, you have no rights to them and they go back into next year's draft.

Last night the Yankees took a kid 16th who had Tommy John surgery in April. They are going to sign him way below his slot value so that they have more money to convince later picks to sign.

Well yeah but those Yankees teams were home grown. Only when they started buying people were they unsuccessful. But yeah, I hate MLBs salary style. I would give anything for a cap

The Warriors are just as homegrown. Curry, Thompson, and Green were all draft picks and developed. That core won a title, and set the record for regular season wins before losing the Finals in game 7. Yes, they added Durant this year, but is that really so much different than the Yankees adding Roger "head growth due to steroids" Clemens to keep the run going?

The Warriors are just as homegrown. Curry, Thompson, and Green were all draft picks and developed. That core won a title, and set the record for regular season wins before losing the Finals in game 7. Yes, they added Durant this year, but is that really so much different than the Yankees adding Roger "head growth due to steroids" Clemens to keep the run going?

I would say it's a lot different. A comparable is if the Yankees added 4/5 of the best starting pitchers in the league. Durant does things for that lineup / bench that aren't at all comparable to adding a starting pitcher 

The whole team??

Questions about the Warriors' plans for a trip to Washington, D.C. arose just hours after they won their second NBA title in the last three years, when a CNBC analyst tweeted that the team unanimously decided to skip the White House visit.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr expressed his disappointment with the election results last November saying after the election that President Donald Trump regularly used "racist, misogynist, insulting words" during his campaign.

http://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/19625464/golden-state-warriors-say-no-decision-made-white-house-visit

In all honesty, 60% of the Patriots are about all you'll get for sports teams at the White House from now to some unknowable point in the future.

What is the context of the usage of this term here

Edited by WildCard

I would say it's a lot different. A comparable is if the Yankees added 4/5 of the best starting pitchers in the league. Durant does things for that lineup / bench that aren't at all comparable to adding a starting pitcher

Yes, Durant had more of an impact than Clemens. My underlying point is that the Warriors were homegrown, and had already won with that talent. It's not like their own talent failed and needed Durant to win. I don't think they'd have won in 5 sans Durant, but I think they'd still be the favorites. As a fan, I'm disappointed the series want as competitive as it would have been if they hadn't added Durant, but I don't think they're making it pointless to watch. San Antonio would have had a puncher's chance without the Kawhi injury, and they may add Chris Paul. The Cavs will add. I think it'll be more competitive next year.

Yeah. That's not a slight on you, it just seemed odd that you included only 60% of one team, and we are talking about politics

Sometimes, man, I worry about you. I did t think the veil could be any thinner on what he was getting at. :p Edited by TrueBlueGED

Yes, Durant had more of an impact than Clemens. My underlying point is that the Warriors were homegrown, and had already won with that talent. It's not like their own talent failed and needed Durant to win. I don't think they'd have won in 5 sans Durant, but I think they'd still be the favorites. As a fan, I'm disappointed the series want as competitive as it would have been if they hadn't added Durant, but I don't think they're making it pointless to watch. San Antonio would have had a puncher's chance without the Kawhi injury, and they may add Chris Paul. The Cavs will add. I think it'll be more competitive next year.

Cavs gonna go and get Melo? What do they really need? Size? Williams was absolutely terrible last night, and Thompson only showed up to one game (not saying Williams is size, just that he sucks and the're depth sucks)

Sometimes, man, I worry about you. I did t think the veil could be any thinner on what he was getting at. :P

Like a really ###### version of rain man :lol:

Edited by WildCard

Cavs gonna go and get Melo? What do they really need? Size? Williams was absolutely terrible last night, and Thompson only showed up to one game (not saying Williams is size, just that he sucks and the're depth sucks)

I really don't think Melo is a good fit on that team. They already have LeBron and Kyrie dominating the ball, and as talented as Melo is, he's a ball-stopper on offense. He just ISOs all the time. On a team where the offense is built upon that, it's fine, but not when you have one better option and another equivalent option. Durant fit so well with Golden State because only Curry really needed to dominate the ball, and Thompson/Green are great defenders who still add value even if they're getting fewer touches.

What they really need is to upgrade athletically, and add guys who can play both ends. Put differently, they need more versatility. Kyrie is a sieve defensively, and Love is mediocre at his best. Even LeBron had a poor defensive series because he had to expend so much energy offensively. Who other than him and Kyrie can reliably create their own shots off the dribble? Thompson is ass, Korver is pure cactch and shoot, Love is a post player who can shoot the 3, but has to play away from the basket too often to maximize his talents, Williams and Jefferson are old Shumpert is trash.

They need an Iguodala-like option off the bench and another starter. Not sure they have the assets to do it, but Paul George would be perfect (I'd be willing to move Love in such a deal). I'd desperately try to shed the Thompson contract for cap space, because otherwise, they can't really add a free agent worth much. They're in a tough spot, but they were close to it being a 2-2 series, so maybe they don't have to add as much as is the conventional wisdom?

MLB Draft related: Through 10 rounds, the Yankees have drafted 9 pitchers.

By the way, Greg Bird sucks. The Yankees had better start drafting first baseman.

Also, I will be referring to Chase Headley as HeadlE5 for the rest of his career.

Edited by ubkev

MLB Draft related: Through 10 rounds, the Yankees have drafted 9 pitchers.

By the way, Greg Bird sucks. The Yankees had better start drafting first baseman.

Also, I will be referring to Chase Headley as HeadlE5 for the rest of his career.

Just got home from the Yankees/Angles game. WTF was Girardi doing putting in Clippard and not using Betances at any point. Dumb.

24 Hours of Le Mans this weekend. I've been rooting for Audi in LMP1 for years now, but thanks to Dieselgate their team is shut down and not competing. Being a fanboy of their R10-18 TDI Le Mans cars was part of my motivation for buying that little diesel Golf. Now that's all dead to me.  :( 

So I don't know who to root for now. Looking through the grid for this year (http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/17_LM24_v2.pdf) and I guess I could enjoy the battle between Chevy and Ford in GTE Pro. 

I could switch allegiances to Porsche since they took on some of the guys from the Audi team, but I'm not really a Porsche guy.

Cadillac has been running a prototype car (Cadillac DPi-V.R.) in the IMSA circuit, so maybe someday they'll make the move to WEC LMP1 or LMP2. That would be fun. 

I'm a man without a WEC team these days. :bag:

You probably know my thoughts on bounceyball already, but I do wish they had gotten the sweep.  It would have been a perfect close to a pointless postseason.  But beyond that, 16-0 would be pretty cool in any series-based playoff.

If the Habs best (not longest) dynasty ('76-'79) could never sweep through (nor could the Aisles nor Eulers) then neither should bounceyball's moneyball team.