The other sports thread

Eleven

Not to harsh anyone's mellow, but I must ask. I have a severe problem with college sports. Universities and Collegrs are meant to be institutions of learning ((and not vo-tech schools, though that's another rant).

As a for instance, and as a St. Bonaventure, I can testify firsthand and at length about the damage that can be done to a school when it's run as a cover for a pro basketball team (albeit not a very good one). I moved to Cleveland and was stunned by the fervent support of those who probably didn't graduate high school, let alone college. Same thing here in Virginia, where the VA Tech and UVA rivalry storms among those who aren't allowed on grounds without buying a ticket.

I suspect I might be more sensitive to this than most. At a huge school nobody cares. At a tiny school down the ladder it rarely takes place. But I watched it tear apart my school shortly after I graduated, and I dunno that there's any going back.

Not to harsh anyone's mellow, but I must ask. I have a severe problem with college sports. Universities and Collegrs are meant to be institutions of learning ((and not ###### vo-tech schools, though that's another rant).

As a for instance, and as a St. Bonaventure, I can testify firsthand and at length about the damage that can be done to a school when it's run as a cover for a pro basketball team (albeit not a very good one). I moved to Cleveland and was stunned by the fervent support of those who probably didn't graduate high school, let alone college. Same thing here in Virginia, where the VA Tech and UVA rivalry storms among those who aren't allowed on grounds without buying a ticket.

I suspect I might be more sensitive to this than most. At a huge school nobody cares. At a tiny school down the ladder it rarely takes place. But I watched it tear apart my school shortly after I graduated, and I dunno that there's any going back.

I can see your point. As a product of the SUNY/ CC system it's the opposite here in NYS public schools. It's very much education first, sports are just recreational.

Personally I prefer college football over the NFL; less parity, much more variety in schemes. Just better, more pure football. Plus the legacy, tradition, atmosphere etc.

To me college football is THE show. I think I read somewhere that if college football is considered it's own sport, it's #2 in popularity in the US even above baseball.

Now if EA would just get that licensing fiasco fixed! I miss NCAA video games.

I can see your point. As a product of the SUNY/ CC system it's the opposite here in NYS public schools. It's very much education first, sports are just recreational.

Personally I prefer college football over the NFL; less parity, much more variety in schemes. Just better, more pure football. Plus the legacy, tradition, atmosphere etc.

To me college football is THE show. I think I read somewhere that if college football is considered it's own sport, it's #2 in popularity in the US even above baseball.

Now if EA would just get that licensing fiasco fixed! I miss NCAA video games.

I'm unaware of a licensing fiasco, but if it has nothing to do with paying players then I'm not interested. Especially in football where academics are actively discouraged and the "free college" rejoinder carries fractionally less weight than the zero it has otherwise, it's a slimy scam. Paid for by the health of 18-22 year olds who don't know better.

I'm unaware of a licensing fiasco, but if it has nothing to do with paying players then I'm not interested. Especially in football where academics are actively discouraged and the "free college" rejoinder carries fractionally less weight than the zero it has otherwise, it's a slimy scam. Paid for by the health of 18-22 year olds who don't know better.

Well, they know better now. This years Jets first rounder just said in a presser that he can think of no better place to die than on the field. 

Good old Roger Goodell was sitting right next to him with a raging hard on. 

That's exactly what its about. EA and the NCAA got into legal trouble for player likeness lawsuits. Not sure why it matters though, considering merchandising, tv revenue etc

Well, I'm unaware of a flag incident, so...

https://youtu.be/hbr1hNp-nI4

More grousing: The Mets traded Jay Bruce to Cleveland.  By all accounts, they turned down a better return from the Yankees because Cleveland agreed to pick up his entire salary.  $5 million saved.  Roughly $70 million coming off the books after this season.  I doubt it'll all be reinvested in actual players.  The league is going to have to something about the Wilpons soon.  Probably won't though.  welcome to the early 90's again, I guess...

Me? Nope I'm a dumb fireman lol. I graduated community college. Like most ND fans I'm a "subway alumus".

I also graduated from community college with a 3 year accounting diploma.  For me, anyway, it was a well rounded alternative to university for what I wanted to do with my life.  I then went through my professional accounting training and am now a CPA, CMA with my own accounting practice.

I have great respect for all who serve their community ... fire, police and medics.  No, you are not a dumb fireperson ( ;) ) and thank you for serving your community.

I also graduated from community college with a 3 year accounting diploma. For me, anyway, it was a well rounded alternative to university for what I wanted to do with my life. I then went through my professional accounting training and am now a CPA, CMA with my own accounting practice.

I have great respect for all who serve their community ... fire, police and medics. No, you are not a dumb fireperson ( ;) ) and thank you for serving your community.

Thanks I say that in jest, I too love community colleges. I think they're a great opportunity and it gave me a career with union protection and a pension (in the private sector). I have a tremendous respect for NCAA universities but CC are the smart choice for many like myself.

Aaron Judge became the 3rd fastest player in MLB history to hit 40 home runs, doing it in 140 games.

That distinction lasted a whopping 2 innings, when Gary Sanchez hit his 40th in 139 games.

And it is exceedingly likely that Cody Bellinger will beat them both, as he sits at 34 home runs in 97 games.  (Jinx time) if Bellinger continues at his current pace, he will hit 40 in 114 games, just 4 games shy of Mark McGwire's record.

Aaron Judge became the 3rd fastest player in MLB history to hit 40 home runs, doing it in 140 games.

That distinction lasted a whopping 2 innings, when Gary Sanchez hit his 40th in 139 games.

And it is exceedingly likely that Cody Bellinger will beat them both, as he sits at 34 home runs in 97 games.  (Jinx time) if Bellinger continues at his current pace, he will hit 40 in 114 games, just 4 games shy of Mark McGwire's record.

Do NOT jinx him!

Bud Crawford KO'd Julius Indongo last night with a body shot....IN THE 3RD ROUND! To KO a guy that early with a body punch is positively bad ass. Indongo stayed on his back for a solid 2 minutes afterwards.

Crawford is the first Undisputed Champion since The Executioner Bernard Hopkins, 11 years ago. Incredible talent.

Irving to Boston for Isiah Thomas + Crowder + Zicic + Boston 2018 unprotected 1st

Clearly Boston is the current winner but if that 1st turns into a franchise type player (supposed pick from Nets which has a great chance at being top 3 pick), the deal could swing Clevelands way.

That Brooklyn pick is huge.. if the Cavs land a young stud on a rookie deal, that could keep their title window open as LeBron ages.

LeBron is leaving next year though. Hence why Thomas being a UFA at the end of this year doesn't matter for Cleveland, and the pick is so huge.

Yankees Tigers got into an actual brawl today, not just a crappy baseball one. Well, still maybe kinda crappy, but good by baseball standards.

"A hockey game broke out".... is what my Dad would've said, haha.