Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

On how Canada won the right to host Women's World Cup 

"With all due respect, we were pretty much the only country that wanted it," he told Rick Cluff on CBC Radio One's The Early Edition.

"When we bid for it, there was seven originally. Five dropped off right away and they chose to bid for other World Cups. There was only one other country with us which was Zimbabwe and they pulled out."
- Canada Soccer president Victor Montagliani

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fifa-women-s-world-cup-in-canada-because-no-one-else-wanted-it-says-canada-soccer-1.3102336

On how Canada won the right to host Women's World Cup 

- Canada Soccer president Victor Montagliani

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fifa-women-s-world-cup-in-canada-because-no-one-else-wanted-it-says-canada-soccer-1.3102336

they do have their work cut out for them in making the tournament sustainable from a business standpoint.

there's part of me that thinks that the women's tournament could be better off going to a faster-lighter-cheaper model (a la canalside) and not try to ape the structures of the men's tournament.

they do have their work cut out for them in making the tournament sustainable from a business standpoint.

there's part of me that thinks that the women's tournament could be better off going to a faster-lighter-cheaper model (a la canalside) and not try to ape the structures of the men's tournament.

I do wonder how many of the countries bidding said, "well, if Canada is bidding they have enough money that we're not going to win" and backed out.

I do wonder how many of the countries bidding said, "well, if Canada is bidding they have enough money that we're not going to win" and backed out.

hold it in the same place every year then. Just make sure the tournament is done right first.

hold it in the same place every year then. Just make sure the tournament is done right first.

this is along the lines of what i'm thinking. or have it rotate between 4 (or so) host countries/regions: usa/canada (they could work together and have grass fields); germany/france (work together, dammit!); so. korea/japan; . . . brazil?

i dunno.

I just purchased tickets for the Gold Cup Final on Sunday July 26 at The Link in Philadelphia.  I'm working under the assumption that the U.S. advances to the Final (feel free to blame me if they don't...)

So, any advice for a first-timer?  Like, Attending a USMNT Game 101?

I also finally purchased a Jozy Altidore jersey, which i am very excited about.  And yes, I know the timing is kinda funny with Jozy getting pulled after halftime the other day in favor of Zardes, who assisted on Dempsey's winner just two minutes in!

164355982_10.jpg

I just purchased tickets for the Gold Cup Final on Sunday July 26 at The Link in Philadelphia.  I'm working under the assumption that the U.S. advances to the Final (feel free to blame me if they don't...)

So, any advice for a first-timer?  Like, Attending a USMNT Game 101?

I also finally purchased a Jozy Altidore jersey, which i am very excited about.  And yes, I know the timing is kinda funny with Jozy getting pulled after halftime the other day in favor of Zardes, who assisted on Dempsey's winner just two minutes in!

Love Joze, he's my guy on this team. I like a little personality.

Love Joze, he's my guy on this team. I like a little personality.

dude sucks

he will not be playing for the USMNT in the knockout rounds.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/14/jozy-altidore-out-of-squad-will-not-play-for-usmnt-in-gold-cup-knockout-stage/

doesn't sound like it was his call to leave the team, either.

he will not be playing for the USMNT in the knockout rounds.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/14/jozy-altidore-out-of-squad-will-not-play-for-usmnt-in-gold-cup-knockout-stage/

doesn't sound like it was his call to leave the team, either.

He's never really lived up to the hype. Maybe I just more like the idea of him than anything else...

Yea, I don't want to put him down too much since somebody got his jersey but his name is the best thing about him. Cool soccer name, bad soccer player.

He's a decent forward, it just seems like he's always snakebit.  That, and he's a diver.  How can you be that huge and dive that much?