Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Fox Sports 1 is my boot channel, just because I try to force feed myself something other than Sportscenter. I enjoy their soccer coverage (MLS and World Cup). Hate the extensive NASCAR stuff, but I understand that's them keeping their promise to not completely kill off the Speed channel programming.

Every been to a race, Hoss? If you haven't, you should definitely check it out sometime. It's really, pretty cool. My brother is a big gear head, he gets me to go to a race about every 3 years and it's always a blast. So I don't mind a little NASCAR coverage here and there.

Anyway, the US is really controlling the game now.

I don't understand why we're not just playing keep away right now. There's no reason we should be trying to push hard up field.

Alamo mode: Soccer style!

Every been to a race, Hoss? If you haven't, you should definitely check it out sometime. It's really, pretty cool. My brother is a big gear head, he gets me to go to a race about every 3 years and it's always a blast. So I don't mind a little NASCAR coverage here and there.

Anyway, the US is really controlling the game now.

Alamo mode: Soccer style!

I grew up on NASCAR. Whole family is into it. Have been to Watkins Glen a million times. Always loved it. A cool experience. But I lost interest over time. I like catching the end of a race once in a while. But I do not find practice entertaining or, really, televisable.

I grew up on NASCAR. Whole family is into it. Have been to Watkins Glen a million times. Always loved it. A cool experience. But I lost interest over time. I like catching the end of a race once in a while. But I do not find practice entertaining or, really, televisable.

Well there ya go lol. I've been to the Glenn twice. It's fun, but the oval tracks are better for the actual at race experience, in my opinion.

Gah! Johnston just missed #3

Edited by ubkev

I have no history with following the USWNT, but, having watched all of their World Cup games to date, I just don't understand what the coach's game plan is, what her philosophy and approach are.

The team is supremely fit, and there is an abundance of talent. But there's so little imagination being shown, not nearly enough pace.

The best I can guess: The apparent mandate to feed Wambach in the middle, in the air, is not working and is stifling the team's creativity.

If they play that way against China, I think it's likely that they lose or, at best, get to PKs. There'd be no way they get past one of GER or FRA without a significant jump in play and a tactical change from their coach.

I have no history with following the USWNT, but, having watched all of their World Cup games to date, I just don't understand what the coach's game plan is, what her philosophy and approach are.

The team is supremely fit, and there is an abundance of talent. But there's so little imagination being shown, not nearly enough pace.

The best I can guess: The apparent mandate to feed Wambach in the middle, in the air, is not working and is stifling the team's creativity.

If they play that way against China, I think it's likely that they lose or, at best, get to PKs. There'd be no way they get past one of GER or FRA without a significant jump in play and a tactical change from their coach.

I agree.  It feels like they know they'll outlast most teams so they make that their game plan.

I feel a little bit better about our chances after watching the Columbia game.  I never felt in danger of being scored on once.  Our back line (along with Hope freakin' Solo) is the best I've seen from any team in the tournament.  I also noticed more emphasis being put on trying to create offense through Rapinoe.  Instead of her usual runs up the sideline she's been turning inside earlier and looking for her teammates between the 18 and the penalty spot.  A few dangerous balls went across that resulted in scoring chances, so hopefully they can start nailing those.

Love all the talk about playing soccer.  Soccer was my first love, which I fell out of when I was around 13-14 and every coach wanted to play kickball (kick deep balls and win races) instead of possession.

qwksnd soccer life timeline:

Age 4: Started playing organized soccer.  Couldn't understand why other kids couldn't just naturally dribble and control the ball.  Loved playing offense.

Age 6: Realized that I should pass to the open player no matter how much I think they suck at soccer.

Age 8: Started playing travel soccer.  I was the best player on my team, and led in scoring from the sweeper position.

Age 10: Switched to playing center midfield and became more of a distributor.  Other kids' fitness started to catch up with me.

Age 12: Switched to playing outside midfield.  I'm still a quality possession player at this point, but other kids are starting to get bigger and faster than me with harder shots.

Age 14: Got cut by my travel coach in favor of younger players with better physical tools without any of the soccer savvy I possessed in between my ears.  Several players from the team (my friends, to be fair)  said that many of the new kids were terrible.

Age 15: Stopped playing school soccer to be in marching band.  The soccer coaches at my high school were all about kickball.  Started playing hockey, frisbee and tennis instead.

Age 17: Growth spurt from 5'8" (which I had been for 3 years) to 6'1"

Age 18-19:  Speed and coordination slowly returned to my lanky awkward body.

Age 20: Started playing organized soccer again.  Played mostly defense since my strengths were reading the play, speed, and size.

I've still got decent touch, so I'm planning on playing a lot more midfield this year.  I've had a blast finally returning to the sport that dominated my childhood.  If you asked 6 year old me what I wanted to do, the answer would've been "play soccer for the USMNT."

First, the field surfaces were impeding the USWNT, now there's a French referee who was out to get the U.S.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/abby-wambach-wonders-if-the-ref-was-out-to-get-the-uswn-1713341121

Ms. Wambach has become quite the griper. Once again: Not a good look.

I thought the same thing about the refs.  Either they hated us, or were allowing themselves to be played like fiddles by the Colombian girls.  Dive after dive after dive all called as penalties against us. And it makes you pause for thought when the only 2 yellow cards given out were to the players that needed them to miss the next game. Wambach should try to be way more captain-y to the media.  I wish her off-field persona matched her toughness on the field. She should still be playing between 45 and 60 minutes every game.

I never ended up mentioning:  The USA-COL game was brutal to watch.  No flow, penalties every other minute, not very many scoring chances.  yuck

I agree.  It feels like they know they'll outlast most teams so they make that their game plan.

<>

I never ended up mentioning:  The USA-COL game was brutal to watch.  No flow, penalties every other minute, not very many scoring chances.  yuck

Good stuff.

I just read a comment on Deadspin (I know - I know, but, whatever) to the effect that people close to the team report that the locker room is a mess, that the coach isn't really in charge, that Wambach and Lloyd are effectively running the show with the help of Nike and U.S. Soccer, blah blah blah.

Yeesh. A lot that sounds plausible, and fairly awful.

Is the US coach just being intractable when it comes to Wambach? Why does she insist on making her the focal point of our attack? Time for Abby to sit and become a sub and let the better players come to the fore with their playmaking skills and ability to pressure a defense. Right now, the younger players look tentative and I think it's because our coach insists on stifling their games by making Wambach the starting point for our offense. I don't think it's fair to Abby, either. Can't expect her to do the things she can't do anymore. 

Is the US coach just being intractable when it comes to Wambach? Why does she insist on making her the focal point of our attack? Time for Abby to sit and become a sub and let the better players come to the fore with their playmaking skills and ability to pressure a defense. Right now, the younger players look tentative and I think it's because our coach insists on stifling their games by making Wambach the starting point for our offense. I don't think it's fair to Abby, either. Can't expect her to do the things she can't do anymore. 

I just read a comment on Deadspin (I know - I know, but, whatever) to the effect that people close to the team report that the locker room is a mess, that the coach isn't really in charge, that Wambach and Lloyd are effectively running the show with the help of Nike and U.S. Soccer, blah blah blah.

Yeesh. A lot that sounds plausible, and fairly awful.

I agree with all of the comments above about Wambach.  She is clearly past her prime and just doesn't move well enough any more.  The team would be better off with Chesty Leroux and Alex Morgan paired up top.

Well, if our coach doesn't have the balls to do what's right by the rest of the team, they deserve whatever they have coming to them against Germany or France (assuming they can get past China). 

I don't think the idea that Nike is exerting undue influence is farfetched, either. Given their ridiculous uniform design, it's obvious. 

Well, if our coach doesn't have the balls to do what's right by the rest of the team, they deserve whatever they have coming to them against Germany or France (assuming they can get past China). 

I don't think the idea that Nike is exerting undue influence is farfetched, either. Given their ridiculous uniform design, it's obvious. 

Something is amiss with that squad.

And I don't know that I'd blame the coach (although I am inclined to do so). In the rumours are true, she wouldn't be the first coach to have been placed in an untenable situation, lacking power to do the things she thinks must be done. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

Quick note... it's spelled "Colombia" with an O (not "Columbia" with a U).  I don't intend to be all policey/, but I had a Colombian co-worker once, who was absolutely the nicest guy you've met, and I was surprised at how riled up he got about the spelling!  So henceforth I always pay close attention.

Something is amiss with that squad.

And I don't know that I'd blame the coach (although I am inclined to do so). In the rumours are true, she wouldn't be the first coach to have been placed in an untenable situation, lacking power to do the things she thinks must be done. 

That's true. 

If Nike is in the process of manufacturing "The Abby Wambach Swansong of Victory", then it's on Wambach to inform her corporate bosses that she doesn't have the wheels anymore and it's not fair to the rest of the team. 

Yeah, I know that will never happen, but if Nike is really that involved, it's just not fair to the better players on the team to be made to put their place in history on the feet of an over the hill player. It's shameless, really. 

Phuck Nike and their phucking neon motifs. They won't be happy until EVERY team looks like the Oregon Ducks. 

That's true. 

If Nike is in the process of manufacturing "The Abby Wambach Swansong of Victory", then it's on Wambach to inform her corporate bosses that she doesn't have the wheels anymore and it's not fair to the rest of the team. 

Yeah, I know that will never happen, but if Nike is really that involved, it's just not fair to the better players on the team to be made to put their place in history on the feet of an over the hill player. It's shameless, really. 

Phuck Nike and their phucking neon motifs. They won't be happy until EVERY team looks like the Oregon Ducks. 

Wait - did you just guess at a bunch of stuff and then go off on Nike based upon those guesses? :rolleyes:

Wait - did you just guess at a bunch of stuff and then go off on Nike based upon those guesses? :rolleyes:

They deserve it just for the forced neon motif on a USA team uniform. So I would have gone off on them, regardless.

But Aud's post about reports of locker room strife, coaches not in a position to effect change, etc., makes me wonder if Wambach doesn't have a documentary film crew following her every move in this, her last World Cup. I could see where that could cause some issues. Especially because it's been obvious since game 1 that the strategy to run their offense off of long passes to Wambach hasn't been working and others on the team are playing better. 

Did I mention my dislike for the neon element in their uniforms?

The US beat China 2-0 on 04/06/2014, outshooting China 23-1. Heather O'Reilly was Player of the Match (with the US playing a 4-3-3).

Yet, O'Reilly hasn't played this entire tournament and it doesn't sound like she'll start against China on Friday.

:blink:

But Aud's post about reports of locker room strife, coaches not in a position to effect change, etc., makes me wonder if Wambach doesn't have a documentary film crew following her every move in this, her last World Cup. I could see where that could cause some issues. Especially because it's been obvious since game 1 that the strategy to run their offense off of long passes to Wambach hasn't been working and others on the team are playing better. 

Maybe I posted this upthread: My elementary school aged kids picked up on the futility of the Wambach-centric game plan -- without any prompting from me. 

The US beat China 2-0 on 04/06/2014, outshooting China 23-1. Heather O'Reilly was Player of the Match (with the US playing a 4-3-3).

Yet, O'Reilly hasn't played this entire tournament and it doesn't sound like she'll start against China on Friday.

:blink:

I don't get it either.

I haven't been a big fan of the USA's game strategy.  The lack creativity and vision. They are trying to force everything up the center or over the top.  Why they don't spread the field and chip the ball in, allowing their physical and athletic forwards to do their work I don't know. With Rapinoe out, I have doubts they can beat China unless the stop doing whatever they are doing. Up to now they have won on talent alone.  Sooner or later a talented team will play a team game and beat them.  They need to adapt.

I haven't been a big fan of the USA's game strategy.  The lack creativity and vision. They are trying to force everything up the center or over the top.  Why they don't spread the field and chip the ball in, allowing their physical and athletic forwards to do their work I don't know. With Rapinoe out, I have doubts they can beat China unless the stop doing whatever they are doing. Up to now they have won on talent alone.  Sooner or later a talented team will play a team game and beat them.  They need to adapt.

Yeah, I don't get it at all. 

Missing Pia Sundhage right now. 

At Acropolis on Elmwood tonight. Trying to get a big crowd, so if you show up and find me I'll buy you a beer. I'll be wearing a red American Outlaws shirt, a stars and stripes bandana, and a royal blue Sabres hat.

Edited by sabills