Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Man City is back atop the EPL table, at least for now, pending the Man U result later today.

Sergio makes sure by scoring 5 goals ... 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/sergio-aguero-nets-5-goals-1.3255652

He has such a fine touch, especially around the net, but he is often overlooked in International play due to that other guy from Argentina and for the fact that he is often played in the mid-field for Argentina.

BiH scores in the 71st minute to lead 1 - 0.

Cyprus (still not sure if that is a country ... especially a European one) leads Israel (another European (?) country) 1 - 0.

If these scores hold it will be a tremendous result.

-----

Israel just scored to make it 1 - 1, but a draw there would still be OK.

-----

CYPRUS!!

-----

Why is 11 not in there?

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

BiH scores in the 71st minute to lead 1 - 0.

Cyprus (still not sure if that is a country ... especially a European one) leads Israel (another European (?) country) 1 - 0.

If these scores hold it will be a tremendous result.

-----

Israel just scored to make it 1 - 1, but a draw there would still be OK.

-----

CYPRUS!!

-----

Why is 11 not in there?

Cyprus has always been a part of europe, Israel well I'd rather see them go to the asian conference but politics and holocaust guilt trip I guess.

Nice to see BiH taking 3rd place though, much better team than Israel.

Edited by Huckleberry

Cyprus has always been a part of europe, Israel well I'd rather see them go to the asian conference but politics and holocaust guilt trip I guess.

Where do you stand on Turkey and Russia?

BiH started the qualifying matches poorly with a home loss to Cyprus.  They changed managers and there was a bit of a transition and they were experiencing a bit of WC hangover.  They have been playing better of late and their last qualifier is away against Cyprus on October 13th.  So, they have a playoff berth secured with a victory.  Their arch playoff nemesis CR7 and Portugal has qualified already, so that's a good thing, assuming they reach the playoff.

BiH is ranked 30th in the world right now, which is good for a small country that has only had a National Team for about 20 years now.

I know you were addressing Huck, but I will tell you where I stand.

Turkey has traditionally been the gateway to Asia, with the Bosphorus being the actual divide.  Istanbul is a very interesting place, with eons of history.  Also, a great "bucket list" destination, as you can walk across a bridge in Istanbul and cross Asia of your list.

Now there is talk of Turkey being admitted to the EU.  They are working hard to be admitted and Ataturk (the founder of modern day Turkey and the first President, who turned Turkey into a secular state) really got the ball rolling around 100 years ago.

I believe it is pretty much inevitable that Turkey (all of it) will eventually officially become part of Europe, as it should be, IMO.

Now, as for Russia, I have always viewed them a part of Asia geographically.  Seeing that they adopted a Eastern European religion (for the most part) and with a strong Slavic (Eastern / Northern European) tradition and heritage I can understand them being part of Europe as well.  The problem is that Russia is so big that there will be parts that are very Asian and the traits of the people reflects this.  So, Russia is a more interesting discussion, but the bottom line is that they will ultimately, IMO, be considered part of Europe, but stretching all the way to the Pacific. 

Geographically their countries have parts in Europe , so I don't mind having them playing with us.  Allthough Turkey is just a real small part.

Also the main population of Russia is located in the european part.

As for turkey I wouldn't mind them joining the eu, but their current prime minister "erdogan" is running the show like a corrupt dictator.  

Europe should have let the Turkish army take over back when he first got the job, Europe told the Turkish army it was not democratic.

After that Erdogan replaced the leadership with his puppets and is turning Turkey away from a secular state.

geo-euro.gif

Edited by Huckleberry

Ukraine vs Slovenia  - Tough call but Ukraine will come out on top

Sweden vs Denmark - Two best teams in the playoffs against each other, but I think Sweden will come on top.

Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Ireland -  Normally I'd say Bosnia, but Ireland has that old school British fighting mentality and it doesn't suit Bosnia.

Norway vs Hungary - Norway is the better team here and should win this.

I am in Orlando for a wedding yesterday, and it so happened that the USWNT was playing a friendly versus Brazil here at the Citrus Bowl!... a bit of a "Victory Tour" for the champs.  I ended up going to the game, and it was a ton of fun.  Lots of families, great weather, and they won 3-1.  Truth be told, though, Brazil was outplaying them for a solid majority of the game.  Brazil did not bury their chances.  Hope Solo played well in goal.  Man, you can really see the game better in person than on TV, e.g., seeing the ball's trajectory, seeing the speed of the players.

I am in Orlando for a wedding yesterday, and it so happened that the USWNT was playing a friendly versus Brazil here at the Citrus Bowl!... a bit of a "Victory Tour" for the champs.  I ended up going to the game, and it was a ton of fun.  Lots of families, great weather, and they won 3-1.  Truth be told, though, Brazil was outplaying them for a solid majority of the game.  Brazil did not bury their chances.  Hope Solo played well in goal.  Man, you can really see the game better in person than on TV, e.g., seeing the ball's trajectory, seeing the speed of the players.

Hope Solo.....I wonder if she can skate, and stop a puck. 

Ukraine vs Slovenia  - Tough call but Ukraine will come out on top

Sweden vs Denmark - Two best teams in the playoffs against each other, but I think Sweden will come on top.

Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Ireland -  Normally I'd say Bosnia, but Ireland has that old school British fighting mentality and it doesn't suit Bosnia.

Norway vs Hungary - Norway is the better team here and should win this.

Is it really fair that Ireland has to play against two countries?

A short clip of my 10 year old, soon to be 11, daughter. She is the one who makes the overlapping run down the near sideline. What amazing ball movement for 10 year old girls. It's ashamed our forward didn't check-in to finish/continue the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8GhHqgAQS4&t=3m30s

That's insane.  My daughter is playing U10 at the moment and is miles behind something like that.  Hell, I wish my son's U14 team could move the ball that way.  Instead, the coaches have them give the ball to the two highly skilled players on the team and watch them try to dribble through 4-5 defenders.  It's infuriating.  Luckily one of the two is suspended for their next match for yellow card accumulation.

I don't have any real "experience" in soccer, but I'm a fan of the game and coached hockey for a number of years so there's some things I understand, and a lot of learned in a short period of time.  I've befriended a few of the non-English speaking Mexican dads on the team (some played pro in Mexico) and we just complain about the coaching (or lack there of).

That's insane.  My daughter is playing U10 at the moment and is miles behind something like that.  Hell, I wish my son's U14 team could move the ball that way.  Instead, the coaches have them give the ball to the two highly skilled players on the team and watch them try to dribble through 4-5 defenders.  It's infuriating.  Luckily one of the two is suspended for their next match for yellow card accumulation.

I don't have any real "experience" in soccer, but I'm a fan of the game and coached hockey for a number of years so there's some things I understand, and a lot of learned in a short period of time.  I've befriended a few of the non-English speaking Mexican dads on the team (some played pro in Mexico) and we just complain about the coaching (or lack there of).

SDS has posted clips of his daughter's team a couple of times before.  It seems to me that they have an incredible coaching staff that is teaching them to think about the game the way the pros do--even if the skills aren't quite there yet.

By the way, that video initially confused me; I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't shoot!  Then I noticed the people sitting in the goal, and then I noticed the other goals.