Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FIFA elected a new president. Fella named  Gianni Infantino.

From what I see from reasonable journos on the Twitter, this is a good outcome. Apparently, he's the UEFA chief (?).

Meet the new corrupt head of FIFA, same as the old corrupt head of FIFA.

This joker was Platini's right hand man.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This joker was Platini's right hand man.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Lets hope that with some new rules in place things will be better.........Watching Blatter get taken down, means that anybody can be taken down.

I dont get this criticism. Who did you want to win the election? Or was this a post you had written up no matter who had won?

I don't think he's perfect, but i do think hes the right choice. I was hoping he'd win. There is many things hes had his hands on in UEFA that have turned out great thus far.

The big thing thats regular joe's like us will notice with this elect, is his idea of a regional world cup. Up the teams to 40, and have regional hosts, similar to the Euro 2020, which was his idea as well.

The big thing thats regular joe's like us will notice with this elect, is his idea of a regional world cup. Up the teams to 40, and have regional hosts, similar to the Euro 2020, which was his idea as well.

What is this plan?

Does it replace the World Cup? I assume not.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently watching the USMNT abjectly embarrass themselves against Guatemala.

Have I not been paying attention? I look at the players we're putting out there and despair for the future, both near and long-term. I mean, there's nobody better than Tim Howard right now? He can't even get in his club side. It's a mess. Clint Dempsey, one of the most obnoxious people on earth, comes out of this as a sympathetic character. At least he tries.

I'm not even mad at Klinsman. Silk purses are not actually sown from sow's ears.

• 1 month later...

This has got to be one of the most awesome things ever in any sport ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/leicester-city-english-premier-league-1.3543003

"Money has shaped entirely the European game until now," said John Williams, a senior lecturer in sociology at the University of Leicester who specializes in soccer.  

Stopped reading after that quote.   Allthough its nice to see a club outside of the usual ones win the EPL.

The owner of Leicester is a Thai/Chinese national  with a networth of 2.5 billion €.    The club got warned by Uefa for breaking financial fair play rules and subsequently did the same as other big European clubs and found backdoor loopholes to those rules.  

Lets not got overly Romantic about this :p 

Stopped reading after that quote.   Allthough its nice to see a club outside of the usual ones win the EPL.

The owner of Leicester is a Thai/Chinese national  with a networth of 2.5 billion €.    The club got warned by Uefa for breaking financial fair play rules and subsequently did the same as other big European clubs and found backdoor loopholes to those rules.  

Lets not got overly Romantic about this :P

I'm also fairly sure that I've read that had they not been promoted to the Premier League when they were, the Football League (no time to explain the difference, just go with it) was likely going to relegate them to League One for the financial shenanigans. 

Stopped reading after that quote. Allthough its nice to see a club outside of the usual ones win the EPL.

The owner of Leicester is a Thai/Chinese national with a networth of 2.5 billion €. The club got warned by Uefa for breaking financial fair play rules and subsequently did the same as other big European clubs and found backdoor loopholes to those rules.

Lets not got overly Romantic about this :p

Given the size of their payroll, their very modest transfer fee activity, the fact that they've been fueled by players who rose up from the lower divisions, and the fact that they just won what amounts to a 38 game "tournament" of sorts, I think it's nearly impossible to be overly romantic about what Leicester did.

Given the size of their payroll, their very modest transfer fee activity, the fact that they've been fueled by players who rose up from the lower divisions, and the fact that they just won what amounts to a 38 game "tournament" of sorts, I think it's nearly impossible to be overly romantic about what Leicester did.

Amen, brother.

It is a remarkable story.

They have no player that I recognize.  They do not have the history of Man U, or many other sides in England.

The past 20 years the title has either been held by a team based in London, or Manchester.

I am Leicester!!

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I've said it before (and typed it too): There is no better atmosphere for a game - of any kind at any level - than Anfield Stadium. Prior to yesterday's win, the LFC faithful (together with the Villareal visitors) honoured the memory of the Hillsborough 96 with a stirring rendition of their traditional anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone":

The sound of that simultaneously makes me want to run through a brick wall and break down in tears.

Now. On to the Europa League final.