2012 Trade Deadline Thread

spndnchz

Schenn hasn't proven a thing in the NHL, Nash has. Schenn is nowhere near the caliber of player Nash is until he proves it on the ice.

Bold moves show that you are in the game. It's much more fun to be a Flyer fan than it is a Sabre fan. It must be nice to know that when top level talent is available their team will always be in the mix.

And Briere hadn't proved much yet when the Sabres grabbed him.

He's 30 years old and making $3.75M for the next 3+ years, not sure I was overly interested. Maybe I don't know enough about him though.

He's basically Gaustad with offensive ability and better skating. He's even with Gaustad on faceoffs this season, has around a mid-40s point average for his career. Like weave, I think he's a real nice player who could have helped the Sabres going forward. Had Regier been able to trade Leopold for a pick or two, and flip those picks for Vermette...then we bring up McNabb to fill Leopold's spot and I think we're a better team. It would also have made trading Gaustad an easier move if Regier still thinks we're a playoff team.

Anyway, good move for Phoenix and Columbus I think. He'll help Phoenix to close out the season and in the playoffs, and Columbus clearly needs to blow it up and they got good value in return.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388536

Vermette on the move

Thank you for posting the TSN link.

While reading the story on the trade I noticed a link to video of Theo Fleury's victim impact statement made to the court. I really think everyone on board should click on the link and listen to the very powerful statement.

If it helps I will start a thread.

He's basically Gaustad with offensive ability and better skating. He's even with Gaustad on faceoffs this season, has around a mid-40s point average for his career. Like weave, I think he's a real nice player who could have helped the Sabres going forward. Had Regier been able to trade Leopold for a pick or two, and flip those picks for Vermette...then we bring up McNabb to fill Leopold's spot and I think we're a better team. It would also have made trading Gaustad an easier move if Regier still thinks we're a playoff team.

Anyway, good move for Phoenix and Columbus I think. He'll help Phoenix to close out the season and in the playoffs, and Columbus clearly needs to blow it up and they got good value in return.

So if that's the market for someone LIKE Goose (sounds like a slightly higher skill set), what would Gaustad get? I'm thinking something a little more because Gaustad would be a legit rental and if we think he's overpaid and making less than 3 per, I'm thinking someone willing to pay Vermette over 3 for 3 more years would not pay quite as high a price.

Find me 6 that kept the same mediocre core for almost a decade and "lucked" into one. When your biggest move in 9 years was getting Zubrus........

I don't really have time to research this but one could argue that both the Giants in the NFL and the Cardinals in baseball did nothing this year but settle for mediocrity and then rode hot streaks to championships.

To be clear, I want Darcy fired and basically agree with the last few paragraphs of the post in question. However, I wholeheartedly disagree with the premise that bold moves are required, or even help to win championships. As much fun as free agency and the trade deadline are, the vast majority of moves amount to nothing and as many have a negative impact as have a positive on.

Tanking a season or two, getting lucky with a couple of late round picks, those seem to have as much to do with it as anything bold or outside the box.

I don't really have time to research this but one could argue that both the Giants in the NFL and the Cardinals in baseball did nothing this year but settle for mediocrity and then rode hot streaks to championships.

To be clear, I want Darcy fired and basically agree with the last few paragraphs of the post in question. However, I wholeheartedly disagree with the premise that bold moves are required, or even help to win championships. As much fun as free agency and the trade deadline are, the vast majority of moves amount to nothing and as many have a negative impact as have a positive on.

Tanking a season or two, getting lucky with a couple of late round picks, those seem to have as much to do with it as anything bold or outside the box.

The Cardinals? They got rid of 80% of their bullpen from opening day and traded for Edwin Jackson and Rafael Furcal. This was after convincing Larussa not to retire and signing Lance Berkman to a big deal off of his worst year because he was a big time character guy. Their Cy-young pitcher went down but instead of using excuses, they got bold and tried fixing things.

The Giants? Mediocre? They were 3 years removed from winning the SuperBowl with the same coach and many key players....not 13 years removed from showing up and losing a final. They had one of the best D-Lines in football, and as pointed out, back in time made a crazy blockbuster to get their guy in Manning. The only thing they got lucky with was Victor Cruz showing up out of nowhere. They started 6-2 and people got nervous after they lost at New Orleans, at San Fran, and against Green Bay and Philly. That list includes 3 of the top 5 teams in the league.

The Sabres? At a crossroads on December 31st. Total changes???? From what I can tell, extension talks with Paul Gaustad.

Keep trying :P I'll give you a shot.....

2011 Dallas Mavericks.

just 5 more to go...

The Mavs haven't been "mediocre" for a long time though. http://www.nbauniverse.com/teams/records_dallas_mavericks.htm

They built a contender that took years (and one loss in the Finals) before they finally won the championship last summer. I'd have to check to see what moves they made to build that contender, but I'm skeptical that it was all draft picks and patience (especially with Mark Cuban at the helm).

The Mavs haven't been "mediocre" for a long time though. http://www.nbauniver...s_mavericks.htm

They built a contender that took years (and one loss in the Finals) before they finally won the championship last summer. I'd have to check to see what moves they made to build that contender, but I'm skeptical that it was all draft picks and patience (especially with Mark Cuban at the helm).

Same core, and that is the question at hand.

And they played in the finals in 06 and won a total of 1 playoff series between then and last summer. They totally qualify for this debate. I think they might be the only one.

And they played in the finals in 06 and won a total of 1 playoff series between then and last summer. They totally qualify for this debate. I think they might be the only one.

I thought we were looking for mediocre cores that were kept together and eventually won.

I thought we were looking for mediocre cores that were kept together and eventually won.

change the 6th and 7th place conference finishes to 9th place conference finishes in 08 and 09 and the last 6 years for the mavs look ridiculously like the last 6 years for the Sabres.

Then the mavs won a title.

Now, to find five more and meet ghost's challenge.

11 straight years in the playoffs and their WORST record was 50-32. They won series in 7 of 11 years. They fired Nelson for Avery Johnson....who was fired 2 years removed from making the Finals.

Sabres.....Made Finals 13 years ago.....will miss playoffs 6 of 12 years and won a playoff series in 3 of 12 years with same GM and coach since then.

NEEEEXT!!!!!

Archived