2012 Trade Deadline Thread

spndnchz

Bite me.

Agreed. There are times. Personally I won't hang around if it devolves into constant attacking, condescension, name-calling, etc. Not that my loss would be anything but a blip on the radar but I suspect others will either leave or lessen their participation.

You jerk.

I don't sweat you beeches.

this place is rather civil for the most part, all message boards are like this it isnt even a personnal attack at this point, i dont let it affect me and i dont know why you would

It would be nice if there was an atmosphere that you could express yourself (if you have a reasonable base of knowledge) without somebody jumping down your throat. I just like to talk about what I wanna talk about. It's fun and maybe sometimes you learn something. If you don't agree, fine. But don't call me crazy or stupid and pretend that you're any better. Most message boards are like that. People get brave hiding behind the keyboard and it emboldens them to make statements to try to belittle others into agreeing with them. It doesn't work. Besides not agreeing with you, it makes me not like you either. Little things like this makes the atmosphere poisonous on a chat board and I think it transfers to life.

That "only one all star game" argument is also a bit weak. That is completely subjective, especially thanks to the rule where someone from each team must be represented (Nash's annual free pass). Vanek wasn't even an all star in his top statistical season.

Right, so what does that tell you about what hockey people outside of Buffalo think about his total game. The biggest problem in his game is his skating, which makes him unable to PK and the second games of back to back always seem to be down games for him. Just MO based on live observations. His shifts are very short most nights. Most "elite" forwards in the league lead the team in ice time among forwards.. Not that I think he's not good, but I'd prefer Nash

Right, so what does that tell you about what hockey people outside of Buffalo think about his total game. The biggest problem in his game is his skating, which makes him unable to PK and the second games of back to back always seem to be down games for him. Just MO based on live observations. His shifts are very short most nights.

All star appearances say absolutely nothing about what people in the hockey world think. It's a straight numbers game. Vanek was not an all star in his top statistical season because too many Sabres had already been voted in as starters. They couldn't take on any more and still get someone from every single team.

Wow you're nuts isn't a great way to start an argument pal. In my opinion, Myers just isn't that good. He's big. He's got reach but he isn't that good. I've gone on record about what I think are his shortcomings. Basically he had a good rookie year and that's it. You're projecting hm out to be a superstar but I don't see it. We have a glut of d-men in the pipeline; I don't see it as a major loss. As far as salary component, I'd let the bean counters work that out. Not my job. Anyway a big market team like the Rangers or Kings will probably land Nash so it's a moot point.

Oh yeah, and I don't see the Sabres a few pieces away from the Stanley Cup. No way.

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, it's been pretty busy in the office today.

I appologize for calling you nuts. It's more of an expression of your opinion on the topic rather than an entire outlook on you personally. These are trying times in Buffalo and hope you understand.

However, I still have to disagree with your assessment. Cvanvol basically asked the same questions I did when reading your post. If you want to give opinions on players and what the Sabres should do with certain players then that's what this board is for. But you can't ignore salary. We finally have an owner willing to spend to the cap and we're in a whole heck of alot of cap trouble right now so analysing the players salary absolutely has to be part of the discussion.

As for the point on us having all this strength at D in our system, I've been on the record as questioning whether we really do. Young kids are still just kids and nobody knows how that'll translate into the NHL. Case in point, look at Grags, he's got potential but he's been a disaster this year IMO. I love McNabb but wasn't his last injury a concussion? The way the NHL is going, it's tough seeing a young guy get a concussion this early. Finley was a ghost when he was called up, Brennan was just ok, Schiestel has had injury problems, Biega is almost 24 (if he's that good he would have been in the NHL a couple years ago), and Persson I keep hearing about but I haven't seen in Buffalo (is there a reason for that). Then there's Pysk which is still atleast a year or two away from the big club.

Prospects have value not just as future players but also in trades. You can't forget that when talking about the Sabres organizational blue line depth. If you're going to take the view like that which questions the value of prospects, you are basically saying that no prospect anywhere on any team (or any future draft picks) have very little value. If that was the case then Mike Richards would have never wound up in Los Angeles.

All star appearances say absolutely nothing about what people in the hockey world think. It's a straight numbers game. Vanek was not an all star in his top statistical season because too many Sabres had already been voted in as starters. They couldn't take on any more and still get someone from every single team.

You're welcome to your opinion and I'll respect it, but he can't skate with the elite players in this league and his stamina is an issue at times because of it. I will admit I was impressed early this year and thought the fact that the Sabres hired a full-time power skating coach for here and Roch was a factor. After about 1/4 of the season I thought he began to struggle again. Injuries maybe? I don't know.

Your opinion and I'll respect it, but he can't skate with the elite players in this league and his stamina is an issue at times. I will admit, I was impressed early in the year, and thought the fact that the Sabres hired a full-time power skating coach for here and Roch was a factor. After about 1/4 of the season he seamed to be back where he was. Maybe injuries? I don't know.

That's all fair. The tie in to all star voting just seems odd to me.

I don't understand how anybody could value Nash at Seguin, Bergeron AND Rask. I wouldn't move Seguin or Bergeron for Nash, let alone both plus Rask. I don't see how trading Seguin or Bergeron makes the Bruins any better, and frankly I think it would make them worse. Bergeron has a no movement clause anyway, and you can bet your balls that Columbus would be a team he'd refuse to go to. Rask I could see, but with Thomas up there in age I don't think I'd toss my goaltender of the future overboard when my team is already good enough to win the Cup.

Well, I did say that I wouldn't expect Boston to make that deal. Frankly I don't see them trading Seguin for anything. My point is simply that it's gonna cost a LOT to get Nash.

I can't believe how many people on this board resort to "Are you crazy" and "Are you on drugs?" Hate to break it to you and those who resort to those expressions, but a civilized discussion would probably be more fun and you'd get better info.

I generally agree with this but there are times when it is warranted.

716 -- I take your point, and it's a good one. I think my general view is the same as Korab's -- i.e. I think it's important to communicate respectfully, but at the same time, there are posters who over a lengthy period have peddled a series of half-baked ideas. In that situation, I feel like if someone is going to post nonsense, it's OK to call them on it. Otherwise the board becomes filled with BS.

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, it's been pretty busy in the office today.

I appologize for calling you nuts. It's more of an expression of your opinion on the topic rather than an entire outlook on you personally. These are trying times in Buffalo and hope you understand.

However, I still have to disagree with your assessment. Cvanvol basically asked the same questions I did when reading your post. If you want to give opinions on players and what the Sabres should do with certain players then that's what this board is for. But you can't ignore salary. We finally have an owner willing to spend to the cap and we're in a whole heck of alot of cap trouble right now so analysing the players salary absolutely has to be part of the discussion.

As for the point on us having all this strength at D in our system, I've been on the record as questioning whether we really do. Young kids are still just kids and nobody knows how that'll translate into the NHL. Case in point, look at Grags, he's got potential but he's been a disaster this year IMO. I love McNabb but wasn't his last injury a concussion? The way the NHL is going, it's tough seeing a young guy get a concussion this early. Finley was a ghost when he was called up, Brennan was just ok, Schiestel has had injury problems, Biega is almost 24 (if he's that good he would have been in the NHL a couple years ago), and Persson I keep hearing about but I haven't seen in Buffalo (is there a reason for that). Then there's Pysk which is still atleast a year or two away from the big club.

Cool and thanks. I have some unusual opinions sometimes that get some people bent out of shape... This year has turned out alot different than I expected, with Pegula spending to the cap. Sometimes an owner who goes out and spends is just not smart with his money (Leonsis). With Pegula, I think he wants to see Buffalo win a cup in the worst way but (please sit down if you can't take this) I believe the mojo from the hydrofracking is and will be a curse that'll be hanging over this team as long as he's the owner. Just my opinion though. Can't prove or disprove it, just a feeling.

Prospects have value not just as future players but also in trades. You can't forget that when talking about the Sabres organizational blue line depth. If you're going to take the view like that which questions the value of prospects, you are basically saying that no prospect anywhere on any team (or any future draft picks) have very little value. If that was the case then Mike Richards would have never wound up in Los Angeles.

Very true, prospects are prospects. But my point is Myers has a ton of potential and he's shown it IMO in the NHL. I don't want to trade him because we have guys that are suppose to have talent (very risky talent in some cases) comming up through the pipeline. I don't want to get caught up in over valuing our draft picks like a certain someone (cough Regier) does. Myers is a highly regarded player and having a guy like Beiga or Brennan in the pipeline should not sway my decision on whether the deal for Myers is fair.

Cool and thanks. I have some unusual opinions sometimes that get some people bent out of shape... This year has turned out alot different than I expected, with Pegula spending to the cap. Sometimes an owner who goes out and spends is just not smart with his money (Leonsis). With Pegula, I think he wants to see Buffalo win a cup in the worst way but (please sit down if you can't take this) I believe the mojo from the hydrofracking is and will be a curse that'll be hanging over this team as long as he's the owner. Just my opinion though. Can't prove or disprove it, just a feeling.

:blink:

My only hope is that the second bolded part falls under the first bolded part. If not, I'm sending Hank to your house to cut your cable line right now.

Before my mother's last cat, which was just recently put down after 13 long and lazy indoor years, we had never had strictly indoor cats. We let them go out and hunt and do whatever they wanted. They were healthier, happier creatures when they could go out in the woods and hunt moles and mice. They maintained their energy into their later years longer than our housecat ever did.

That little one that loved the road? There was nothing we could do about that. It was brought to us as a kitten by a neighbor who thought it was ours. It wasn't. And for whatever reason it was hell bent on heading straight for the road every time we let it out of the house.

Nature took its course. Not much you can do about that.

Floating cars.....let's make this happen.

Ducks acquire center Ryan O’Marra from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for defenseman Bryan Rodney.

...and the trades begin.....someone get Darcy a sandwich. No way he can reach his mini fridge from under his desk.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

As per @Real_ESPNLeBrun, TB trades Dom Moore and 7th round pick to SJ for a 2nd round pick. Done deal.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Second-round pick the Lightning gets for Moore was originally Minnesota's pick

Philadelphia Flyers @NHLFlyers

TRADE: #Flyers have acquired (D) Nicklas Grossman from Dallas in exchange for a 2012 2nd rd pick(from LA) & 2013 3rd rd pick(from MIN).

to be honest i've come at a point that we should just go for #1 center via draft now, i wouldn't trade for it anymore.

I'll go even a bit further, i'd keep Roy as our #2 center. I just feel we'd be at the bad end of the any deal wich involves a #1 center at this point.

there are some solid young centers available in the draft, forsberg, galchenyuk, grigorenko, and some others that can add size to this team down the middle.

seeing we'd probably won't get a chance to pick grigor, i'd go for galchenyuk and maybe forsberg if we can trade for another 1st round pick somehow.

Archived