2012 Trade Deadline Thread

spndnchz

Canadiens acquire B. Geoffrion, R. Slaney, and 2nd round draft pick in 2012 from NSH for Hall Gill and a conditional 2013 5th round pick.

Looks like Montreal is sellin'.

That's a pretty solid return for Gill. I'd entertain offers for Regehr if that's the going rate. We could do really well since he's a far superior player.

That's a pretty solid return for Gill. I'd entertain offers for Regehr if that's the going rate. We could do really well since he's a far superior player.

Compare that to what Regier paid to get Regehr and DR looks pretty smart. (Still want him gone)

With these type of picks being offered for marginal talent, Darcy is sure to wait even longer to "let the market dictate itself".

Yet another trade takes place while Darcy....I was going to say does nothing, but he very well may be playing Angry Birds in his office, which isn't exactly nothing. The selling has begun, the market has been set for guys like Gaustad and Leopold, so Darcy better actually do something now. He can't possibly be clinging to the idea they can make a run at the 8 seed.....right?

Yet another trade takes place while Darcy....I was going to say does nothing, but he very well may be playing Angry Birds in his office, which isn't exactly nothing. The selling has begun, the market has been set for guys like Gaustad and Leopold, so Darcy better actually do something now. He can't possibly be clinging to the idea they can make a run at the 8 seed.....right?

Of course he is ... probably looking at sportsclubstats.com and thinking "if we go 17-5-3 over the last 25, we have a 66% chance at the 8th spot". The reality is more like no GMs will deal with him as Darcy overvalues his players ...

Here we go again. So Gill was traded. A defensive defenseman. The Sabres don't have that to give up and they don't need Geoffrion or Slaney right? So, this is not a trade I would expect the Sabres to be missing out on. Leopold and Gaustad are not in that conversation.

Interesting move by the Preds though. Now they have 3 UFA defensemen and 2 RFA? Makes you wonder who else they are going to look for to make a run this year. The last ditch effort before losing one of their top D to free agency. There was some discussion with Pete Weber on NHL network that Radulov could end up back with the Preds before the playoffs. They've got cap space right now to take on almost anyone but quite a bit to sign for next year.

Here we go again. So Gill was traded. A defensive defenseman. The Sabres don't have that to give up and they don't need Geoffrion or Slaney right? So, this is not a trade I would expect the Sabres to be missing out on. Leopold and Gaustad are not in that conversation.

I certainly didn't intend to make direct comparisons between the players, only their market value. Gaustad and Moore are certainly similar and Moore got moved for basically a 2nd. Leopold plays a different game than Grossman or Gill, but there's still a precedent in the market now. Veteran defenseman who can help a team goes for a 2nd+. Obviously a team looking for Gill won't look to Leopold (at least not for the same reason), but they should have similar value on the market. It doesn't take identical players to set the market.

Darcy finally saying today that they are seller. Not specifically but roundabout way. The next five games seeing who is part of our Stanley Cup team IMO. It'll be interesting to see who he thinks fill that role. That is why I watch. Like sand in the hourglass....

Darcy finally saying today that they are seller. Not specifically but roundabout way. The next five games seeing who is part of our Stanley Cup team IMO. It'll be interesting to see who he thinks fill that role. That is why I watch. Like sand in the hourglass....

Seven unanswered goals will do that. Even DR can convince himself that this team should be a buyer after that showing. Let's see how far the "sellers" label will go. I have my doubts...

Yes...the Days of Our Lives.......and Darcy Regier has been in charge 5,363 of those days.......in a row.........

Canadiens acquire B. Geoffrion, R. Slaney, and 2nd round draft pick in 2012 from NSH for Hall Gill and a conditional 2013 5th round pick.

Ugh, I think Nashville got fleeced. Gave up a 2nd round pick AND Hobey Baker Award winner Geoffrion (also a 2nd round pick, who's now Montreal's top LW prospect) AND Slaney (admittedly little value) for the rental of a 36 year old defensive defenseman and maybe a 5th rounder.

As evidenced by his past decisions, I think we can all expect brilliant choices in this area. Bye bye Gerbe and Pominville, hello Captan Drew Stafford.

Ugh, I think Nashville got fleeced. Gave up a 2nd round pick AND Hobey Baker Award winner Geoffrion (also a 2nd round pick, who's now Montreal's top LW prospect) AND Slaney (admittedly little value) for the rental of a 36 year old defensive defenseman and maybe a 5th rounder.

Which is why everyone is clamoring for Darcy to start doing something. If that's what Montreal got for Gill, then there is certainly value to be had for Leopold or even Regher.

Agree on the fleecing btw :)

Brainless.

I certainly didn't intend to make direct comparisons between the players, only their market value. Gaustad and Moore are certainly similar and Moore got moved for basically a 2nd. Leopold plays a different game than Grossman or Gill, but there's still a precedent in the market now. Veteran defenseman who can help a team goes for a 2nd+. Obviously a team looking for Gill won't look to Leopold (at least not for the same reason), but they should have similar value on the market. It doesn't take identical players to set the market.

I would think Leopold would have more value since he's not a UFA at the end of the year like Gill or Grossman. Though may be less teams looking for someone who'd be on their cap for next year also.

I hope Regier has been given strict orders. Simply create cap room for next season. Do not take any NHL salaries in return in any deal he makes. Picks and prospects only in return.

You can't even trust that idiot Regier in terms of picks and prospects. He would bring in 10 more soft mobile offensive defensemen.

I have a feeling that the only player that we are going to see moved is Tyler Ennis, Ennis is not a Lindy favorite and I think that he's the only one that they (Darcy and Lindy) are willing to get rid of that will bring something in return. Who is going to be willing to give us anything for Roy or Stafford ? I'd hate to see Ennis go, especially for another Dominic Moore.

I have a feeling that the only player that we are going to see moved is Tyler Ennis, Ennis is not a Lindy favorite and I think that he's the only one that they (Darcy and Lindy) are willing to get rid of that will bring something in return. Who is going to be willing to give us anything for Roy or Stafford ? I'd hate to see Ennis go, especially for another Dominic Moore.

Totally disagree.

The kid is young and i think they realize they have a good player in Ennis to build around.

Archived