2012 Trade Deadline Thread

spndnchz

I am willing to admit that my impression is based on limited observations and could be wrong, but it is my impression

For example, the man used Humpty Dumpty as an example for his team. Now I agree in the sense that it is broken and cannot be put back together, but that is not what he meant at all.

Is it fair to make assumptions/judgements based on extremely limited information?

Perhaps not, but that's life as a public figure.

I stand by whay I said. He does not strike me as a particularily sharp or bright guy. Flame away, I don't really care.

Maybe he doesn't have a lot of hockey sense and certainly is new to being a sports owner but the guy has made a bucket and continues to do so. You can pretty much guarantee his a bright guy.

Bishop to Ottawa for 2nd round pick. Decent short term replacement for Anderson, who potentially could become a long term replacement.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Before trading G Ben Bishop to OTT for a 2013 2nd rd pick, STL signed him to a one-year, one-way contract. #TradeCentre #tsn

Bishop is 6'7".. That strikes me as almost too tall to play goalie..

Bishop is 6'7".. That strikes me as almost too tall to play goalie..

Rinne in Nashville can handle it.

Its amazing how some teams can never find a goalie. Maybe its time for teams like Toronto Ottawa Philly to look outside the crease for the goalie issues.

two interesting propositions here: that pegula isn't intelligent and that he is a fanboy (fanboi?).

the proposition that pegula isn't terribly bright is one that must flow from an overly narrow conceit of what intelligence is. i'm in the professional services business, and tend to fancy myself as a smart person. i interact with plenty of executives who, earlier in my career, i would readily write off as intellectual lightweights or bloviating idiots. but then i had to take a look at their track record, their companies' performances, and how they're regarded (compensated) in their field. i've come to the conclusion that they're not my idea of "intelligent" people, but they're feckin' plenty smart in ways that they need to be, ways that help them succeed. pegula may not strike certain people as "intelligent," but the guy would not be where he is without a boatload of smarts.

the proposition that pegula is a fanboy is an interesting one. i heard stafford say recently that pegula sought him out recently and gave him a pep talk. as much as i dislike stafford and would like to see him shipped for value, i sorta liked hearing that. i get the sense that pegula is in fact going to let his hockey people make the hockey decisions -- that he will not meddle by lobbying for players to be retained or extended -- but that he will also encourage and even nurture his players for so long as they're on the team (and then will continue to treat them like alumni once their playing days are over). i can understand hearing him talk about his team in an unduly positive manner and fearing that he's just a starry-eyed fanboy. but i don't think that's what he's doing; i think he is going to trust his hockey people to make hockey decisions and that he is going to be the chief cheerleader and psyche stroker for every player on the roster and in the system.

now, the matter of whether he has the right hockey people in place -- that's another question.

Each year the deals take off the second I leave my office and head out for lunch. So I'll give you guys the heads up to start paying attention when I decide to leave.

You need to take a long lunch this year.

Each year the deals take off the second I leave my office and head out for lunch. So I'll give you guys the heads up to start paying attention when I decide to leave.

You need to take a long lunch this year.

It's lunch time in Bermuda...

Archived