2012 Trade Deadline Thread

spndnchz

some team is going to be VERY happy....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387786

If Nash does get moved, that would be a huge acquisition for whoever gets him. This isn't some aging veteran at the twilight of his career. This guy is an elite talent that goes unnoticed because he plays for the worst team in a sh!t market. He's still got plenty of years of elite production left.

I hope he doesn't get traded. It would be like taking Staal out of Carolina. It would make C-Bus completely irrelevant. They are not going to move, so the last thing the NHL needs is more teams that generate zero interest.

Columbus would lose it's entire identity if they lost Nash. They would have to build their team around... Carter? :bag:

Your kidding, right?

I can understand why not being a center would lend to pause as Buffalo has needed one for years now. Still, you can't overlook it alltogether as Nash is elite talent. Would Buffalo be on his list? If he wanted a contender this year, obviously not. If he was looking at going to an organization with solid ownership and the will to eventually get that Cup - maybe. Toronto has been looking for that elite power forward ever since Burke got there so I betcha they make a great offer......

I can understand why not being a center would lend to pause as Buffalo has needed one for years now. Still, you can't overlook it alltogether as Nash is elite talent. Would Buffalo be on his list? If he wanted a contender this year, obviously not. If he was looking at going to an organization with solid ownership and the will to eventually get that Cup - maybe. Toronto has been looking for that elite power forward ever since Burke got there so I betcha they make a great offer......

I don't think Buffalo makes the list of teams he would waive his NMC for, especially given the poor season we have had this year. We still have a long way to go to even be in consideration for moves like this.

I don't think Buffalo makes the list of teams he would waive his NMC for, especially given the poor season we have had this year. We still have a long way to go to even be in consideration for moves like this.

I don't think a long way to go would be accurate. The main building block is there with ownership and as soon as players like Roy, Stafford and Gaustad are gone, the true building of this team will continue. Ownership, goalie, defense, Vanek, Pomm and Leino is what they have to build around (whether fans like it or not). The rest can be dumped, traded or whatever.....

But what can Toronto give up to get him? They would have to give up more then the 2 first rounders they gave to Boston for Kessel, I could see CBJ looking for Kessel, a 1st and possible Schen and/or Kadri to be willing to give up Nash to Toronto. Toronto doesn't have too many top tier prospects to give up

Buffalo might be an attractive place for him, its close to Ontario where he is from, adding him could help push them into the playoffs this year and then who knows, and they have some young guys and picks that could be sent to Columbus to make the deal. Problem is that I don't think Darcy has ever pulled off a blockbuster deal like this ever in his lifetime

I don't think a long way to go would be accurate. The main building block is there with ownership and as soon as players like Roy, Stafford and Gaustad are gone, the true building of this team will continue. Ownership, goalie, defense, Vanek, Pomm and Leino is what they have to build around (whether fans like it or not). The rest can be dumped, traded or whatever.....

I don't think gaustad deserves to be in that group of guys that need to be gone to succeed. I would replace him with someone like Boyes

He won't go anywhere until after the season is over. There are way too many pieces involved in that kind of deal. That's a lot of money to take on, and on top of it all, Nash has to agree to anything. If he had been available about a month ago, maybe, but there's not enough time for this one.

He won't go anywhere until after the season is over. There are way too many pieces involved in that kind of deal. That's a lot of money to take on, and on top of it all, Nash has to agree to anything. If he had been available about a month ago, maybe, but there's not enough time for this one.

Theres plenty of time

Just depends on how badly you want him, and weither you can offer a deal that will make the Blue jackets front office feel like they can move him

Theres plenty of time

Just depends on how badly you want him, and weither you can offer a deal that will make the Blue jackets front office feel like they can move him

And if the team who makes the offer is actually someone Nash wants to play for. He has a no movement clause. He can drive that ship the same exact way Hasek did.

I'm waiting to see what the injury to Tuomo Ruutu was last night. That certainly impacts the market if it's something that keeps him out more than 2 weeks. If he was being shopped as reports said he was then teams will be forced to look down the list a bit... could be beneficial.

I think any trade for Nash will be monumental and I think CBJ can pull it off. They've been perennial cellar dwellers and sometimes you just have to make a move. Depending on what comes back it could work out just fine.

I can only imagine the list of teams he would consider moving to and those teams being in a position to move enough back to CBJ.

But what can Toronto give up to get him? They would have to give up more then the 2 first rounders they gave to Boston for Kessel, I could see CBJ looking for Kessel, a 1st and possible Schen and/or Kadri to be willing to give up Nash to Toronto. Toronto doesn't have too many top tier prospects to give up

Buffalo might be an attractive place for him, its close to Ontario where he is from, adding him could help push them into the playoffs this year and then who knows, and they have some young guys and picks that could be sent to Columbus to make the deal. Problem is that I don't think Darcy has ever pulled off a blockbuster deal like this ever in his lifetime

I don't think gaustad deserves to be in that group of guys that need to be gone to succeed. I would replace him with someone like Boyes

Boyes is gone after this year anyway and the reason I put Gaustad in there is because he decided to finally show up recently for 3 games in the past 3 years. Where the Hell has that been hiding? I'll tell you where - the same place as Stafford's contract year illusion.

As I said in the buyers or sellers thread, I'm simply not interested in Nash or his contract. I know I'll probably be in the minority, but I just can't see us putting together the type of package that would make sense for Columbus and for us. Does having $15 mil tied up in 2 wingers make sense for us? We already can't properly use Vanek, let alone 2 Vaneks. It's the same reason I was never really interested in Bobby Ryan. It's not that I wouldn't love Nash or Ryan on the team, it's that when you add up what we would have to send packing in addition to salary cap implications and our need at center, I just don't see that type of move getting us a whole lot closer to the Cup. To make a football analogy...it would be awesome to have Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson, but if you're QB is Kevin Kolb, you're still not winning anything.

Kessel is likely as good as Nash, younger than Nash, and costs less. You're probably looking at something involving Schenn, Kadri and picks if I had to guess. Maybe more who knows, depends on how many teams are involved I suppose.

As for the Sabres, it'd have to start with Ennis wouldn't it?

We had one last year. Looking through that thread there was much more movement sooner last year.

Try and keep the rumors out. Opinions on Nash type news welcomed...

thanks for doing this.

someone had posted that they dont want nash , they would rather have a center.

i can understand that...but nash IS legit. this guy on a real team, could be amazing. he is not just a top

six forward. people were talking about how they would love to see vanek on detroit...well i feel like nash on the sabres would

create that sort of tops in the nhl line. unsure of who the center would be for them, but i would love to see those two guys up front.

We had one last year. Looking through that thread there was much more movement sooner last year.

Try and keep the rumors out. Opinions on Nash type news welcomed...

Works best when there is a companion rumor thread. I'll start one.

What I was inferring from "long way to go" was that we are not yet at a franchise level that we can have star players waive their NMC clauses to come here. That is reserved for big market teams and perennial winners (see: Detroit, New York, Chicago etc.)

And if the team who makes the offer is actually someone Nash wants to play for. He has a no movement clause. He can drive that ship the same exact way Hasek did.

This is what a lot of posters are missing. Nash is in charge here. Even if we offer everyone on the roster for him, if he doesn't want to come here he vetos and doesn't waive his NMC. He's only getting traded to a select list of teams.

What I was inferring from "long way to go" was that we are not yet at a franchise level that we can have star players waive their NMC clauses to come here. That is reserved for big market teams and perennial winners (see: Detroit, New York, Chicago etc.)

This is what a lot of posters are missing. Nash is in charge here. Even if we offer everyone on the roster for him, if he doesn't want to come here he vetos and doesn't waive his NMC. He's only getting traded to a select list of teams.

I generally agree, however, we don't know what Nash is looking for in where he goes. He's not asking out of Columbus, it isn't like he's run to Howson and demanded a trade to a contender. He said he'd be willing to waive his no trade clause if Columbus wants him to, to help the franchise long term. He seems like a genuinely loyal guy who wants to help build a winner, not just be a hired gun. The dreadful Sabres season may be prohibitive, but on the other hand if he's really happy in Columbus I think Buffalo has a lot of qualities which would appeal to him.

eh

maybe if he was a center

Your kidding, right?

I certainly hope so.

If Nash does get moved, that would be a huge acquisition for whoever gets him. This isn't some aging veteran at the twilight of his career. This guy is an elite talent that goes unnoticed because he plays for the worst team in a sh!t market. He's still got plenty of years of elite production left.

Columbus would lose it's entire identity if they lost Nash. They would have to build their team around... Carter? :bag:

100% agree.

While pre-TP I would have agreed that there would have been NFW that Nash (or anyone else) would waive a NTC to come here, I can definitely see it happening now. First of all, it's already happened with Regehr (and pretty much the same thing happened with Ehrhoff and Leino too in that they had their choice of quite a few suitors and chose the Sabres). It's a lot easier to be the 4th guy to do something than the 1st guy.

Second, while many here are down on Lindy and/or Miller, I think those 2 have very good reputations around the league. Coach and goaltending are probably the 2 most important hockey factors for a guy in Nash's position to consider. Nash also knows both of them from the Olympics. Third, the Sabres have obviously been a big disappointment this season, but no one would seriously question TP's commitment to winning and having a strong franchise. He's been throwing money at the situation and is a passionate fan.

My bottom line is that with TP on the scene, I think the Sabres have a pretty good shot at just about anyone they want.

I agree -- the Leafs don't have the assets. I frankly don't think Kessel, a 1st and Schenn or Kadri is nearly enough for Nash.

I don't agree with this. Major stars are indeed traded at the deadline, and not that infrequently. Nash isn't a bigger name than Kovy, for example (although he's a better player, IMHO).

As I said in the buyers or sellers thread, I'm simply not interested in Nash or his contract. I know I'll probably be in the minority, but I just can't see us putting together the type of package that would make sense for Columbus and for us. Does having $15 mil tied up in 2 wingers make sense for us? We already can't properly use Vanek, let alone 2 Vaneks. It's the same reason I was never really interested in Bobby Ryan. It's not that I wouldn't love Nash or Ryan on the team, it's that when you add up what we would have to send packing in addition to salary cap implications and our need at center, I just don't see that type of move getting us a whole lot closer to the Cup. To make a football analogy...it would be awesome to have Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson, but if you're QB is Kevin Kolb, you're still not winning anything.

Nash is much, much better than Vanek or Ryan. If you have the opportunity to add a guy like Nash, you make room on your roster.

If the Sabres #1 line next year was Ennis-Nash-Vanek -- that would be a very competitive #1 line.

Kessel is likely as good as Nash, younger than Nash, and costs less. You're probably looking at something involving Schenn, Kadri and picks if I had to guess. Maybe more who knows, depends on how many teams are involved I suppose.

As for the Sabres, it'd have to start with Ennis wouldn't it?

Kessel is nowhere near as good as Nash.

And while a Sabres package could include Ennis, I would expect CBJ to demand Myers or Miller as the centerpiece.

Finally: this is a pretty good thread so far, but I can feel it coming...

Archived