Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Just curious. Why?

I think they make some pretty good coffee.

I can't speak for Dark but I just don't see the benefit. It's essentially a single cup coffee pot. I can buy a regular coffee pot that can brew 10 cups of coffee under $20 but a Keurig costs 10 times as much and brews 1/10 the amount. It just doesn't make sense to me.

And that doesn't even factor in how much more expensive the k-cups are compared to regular coffee.

Seattle's Best makes pretty good coffee and is easy to find.  Lots of good stuff out there, but it'll largely be a matter of taste depending on how dark you like your coffee.

MrsPie was just talking about Seattle's Best this morning and how much she liked it. There used to be a Seattle's Best cafe down the street from the shop I took my car. I'd drop it off, set up my laptop and work for a few hours while waiting. Those were the days!

PA: If you don't actually like coffee, why not drink some tea? Far easier on your system and tastes better. I will say that (M-x snob-mode) cheap bag tea (Lipton, etc.) isn't that great, you taste way more wet paper than tea. For a test, get some relatively good black tea bags (Wegmans "Just Tea", Stash, or better) and give it a shot. Even better is get a couple scoops of loose tea from Wegs and one of those cheap ball infusers. One teaspoon of tea per 8oz/mug. The per-pound prices on tea are a little daunting, but a pound of tea lasts months, even drinking a couple pots a day. The little Wegmans loose tea bags they give you rarely go over $5 unless you really stuff it in.

Just curious. Why?

I think they make some pretty good coffee.

Dude I've had better coffee out of a vending machine where the cups have a little poker card on the bottom. Keurig coffee is the height of trash.

I can't speak for Dark but I just don't see the benefit. It's essentially a single cup coffee pot. I can buy a regular coffee pot that can brew 10 cups of coffee under $20 but a Keurig costs 10 times as much and brews 1/10 the amount. It just doesn't make sense to me.

And that doesn't even factor in how much more expensive the k-cups are compared to regular coffee.

This too. I'm not an eco terrorist by any means but Keurigs are a the height of senseless first world waste.

Millions and millions of little plastic cups in the trash.

Dude I've had better coffee out of a vending machine where the cups have a little poker card on the bottom. Keurig coffee is the height of trash.

This too. I'm not an eco terrorist by any means but Keurigs are a the height of senseless first world waste.

As raw materials become more and more scarce on this planet, I am positive that we will need to start mining landfills for resources. I'm just making sure that there will be more yield in the future.

MrsPie was just talking about Seattle's Best this morning and how much she liked it. There used to be a Seattle's Best cafe down the street from the shop I took my car. I'd drop it off, set up my laptop and work for a few hours while waiting. Those were the days!

PA: If you don't actually like coffee, why not drink some tea? Far easier on your system and tastes better. I will say that (M-x snob-mode) cheap bag tea (Lipton, etc.) isn't that great, you taste way more wet paper than tea. For a test, get some relatively good black tea bags (Wegmans "Just Tea", Stash, or better) and give it a shot. Even better is get a couple scoops of loose tea from Wegs and one of those cheap ball infusers. One teaspoon of tea per 8oz/mug. The per-pound prices on tea are a little daunting, but a pound of tea lasts months, even drinking a couple pots a day. The little Wegmans loose tea bags they give you rarely go over $5 unless you really stuff it in.

Thanks. Maybe I'll give that a try. I do like tea, but not surprisingly, apparently I just like the taste of wet paper.

:lol: 

I hate you. 

:beer:   

(that's a stout, not an IPA)

So, about two weeks ago, we started giving my daughter something called PharmaNAC. It's an over the counter supplement that has been shown to reduce repetitive behaviors in people with OCD or autistism.

It really didn't work. In fact, her behaviors got so bad that on Tuesday, when I got home from work, I was greeted by two police officers and two EMTs because my wife couldn't control her and had to call 9-1-1. We ended up spending the evening in a Psych ER. That was,... interesting.

Now, how is this awesome, you ask. Well, while doing some research, I found out that NAC, when taken with vitamin C, after a night of over-imbibing greatly reduces hangovers. I can say that after what I did to myself last night, I have no right feeling as good as I do.

And since we had to stop giving it to her, it looks like I have about a years supply of no hangovers.

:beer:

This is true. Myself I almost always use the refillable canister, and when I do use the cups I put the coffee grounds on our plants and recycle the cup, but I'm sure I'm in the vast majority.

I like the Keurig because I almost always only one want cup of coffee, so brewing 10 cups is a waste of coffee and time.

+10  

+1 just wasn't enough. 

You do realize that the Keurig machines don't HAVE to use Keurig brand coffees, right?

You can use beans you ground yourself in little stainless steel strainers that come with the units. You also can use them for tea &/or iced tea. All they are are 8-16 oz @ a pop water heaters. The flavoring you add to the 8-16 oz of hot H2O is your choice & if you are making a poor choice, how is that the tool's fault rather than the fool's fault. :p

You could probably even use them for a broth of some sort, though it probably wouldn't be recommended.

You do realize that the Keurig machines don't HAVE to use Keurig brand coffees, right?

You can use beans you ground yourself in little stainless steel strainers that come with the units. You also can use them for tea &/or iced tea. All they are are 8-16 oz @ a pop water heaters. The flavoring you add to the 8-16 oz of hot H2O is your choice & if you are making a poor choice, how is that the tool's fault rather than the fool's fault. :p

You could probably even use them for a broth of some sort, though it probably wouldn't be recommended.

Ain't nobody got time for that. Buy a smaller pot and a carafe from a thrift store. Boom. Don't drink all the coffee? Put it in the carafe and have it tomorrow.

Ain't nobody got time for that. Buy a smaller pot and a carafe from a thrift store. Boom. Don't drink all the coffee? Put it in the carafe and have it tomorrow.

Did you really just say save what you don't drink and have it tomorrow.

I now officially don't have to listen to another thing you have to say on this matter.

Did you really just say save what you don't drink and have it tomorrow.

I now officially don't have to listen to another thing you have to say on this matter.

I'm no coffee snob. Cheap coffee tastes just fine after a minute and a half in the microwave. Stop throwing money away.

Completely agree about the waste, but...

This is true. Myself I almost always use the refillable canister, and when I do use the cups I put the coffee grounds on our plants and recycle the cup, but I'm sure I'm in the vast majority.

I like the Keurig because I almost always only one want cup of coffee, so brewing 10 cups is a waste of coffee and time.

... this is why I have one.  As someone who lives alone and never has more than one cup at a time, a full-size coffee pot is a complete waste.

You can use beans you ground yourself in little stainless steel strainers that come with the units. You also can use them for tea &/or iced tea. All they are are 8-16 oz @ a pop water heaters. The flavoring you add to the 8-16 oz of hot H2O is your choice & if you are making a poor choice, how is that the tool's fault rather than the fool's fault. :P

And also this.  Unless I have company over, I buy ground coffee and use a mesh filter.

The microwave completely changes the flavor of coffee. Let alone day old coffee.

And you think Keurig coffee is no good?

AMEN

For the cost, yeah, I'd rather drink microwaved leftover coffee. There's literally no difference. It's a placebo effect. Throw the Keurig out

What is wrong with you???   :sick:

(FWIW, I have this instead of a Keurig, but it's a similar idea: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/icoffee-reg-opus-single-serve-coffee-maker/3277626)

Edited by biotönt

Nothing like cowboy coffee ...

Completely agree about the waste, but...

... this is why I have one.  As someone who lives alone and never has more than one cup at a time, a full-size coffee pot is a complete waste.

And also this.  Unless I have company over, I buy ground coffee and use a mesh filter.

AMEN

What is wrong with you???   :sick:

(FWIW, I have this instead of a Keurig, but it's a similar idea: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/icoffee-reg-opus-single-serve-coffee-maker/3277626)

I don't understand how someone can only want one cup of coffee. I have one, and I...just...want...more.

I might (see also: do) have a problem.

I don't understand how someone can only want one cup of coffee. I have one, and I...just...want...more.

I might (see also: do) have a problem.

I dunno, I just... don't.  If I'm having breakfast at a restaurant I might have a refill, but those mugs are always on the small side, anyhow.