Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I just got an amazing freelance gig starting up next week.

And tonight, one hour ago, on a freaking Saturday night no less st Patrick’s day, I got what is essentially a full time job offer from the marketing firm less than a mile from our apartment. They think I’m over qualified but a friend there said no, you want her. I go for an interview sometime this week.

I’m finally finding my feet again. It won’t be easy juggling all that and my teaching at the studio but I also won’t be facing bankruptcy. And I can contribute again. And get groceries without fear. And my god I’m just crying.

That is soooooo beyond awesome! Very gad your talent is getting noticed.

:beer:

And, btw, there is NO crying in hockey! ;) Pull yourself together, lady. :p Act like you've been here before, because you AIN'T goin' back. Get used to it. Congrats! :beer:

And tonight, one hour ago, on a freaking Saturday night no less st Patrick’s day, I got what is essentially a full time job offer from the marketing firm less than a mile from our apartment. They think I’m over qualified but a friend there said no, you want her. I go for an interview sometime this week.

I’m finally finding my feet again. It won’t be easy juggling all that and my teaching at the studio but I also won’t be facing bankruptcy. And I can contribute again. And get groceries without fear. And my god I’m just crying.

This is awesome! Congrats, Jo!!!

Congrats. Don't risk burnout by stretching yourself too thin though. A new full time gig is the perfect time to re-align your priorities and start to cut down on the side projects that are either too time consuming, annoying, or don't pay enough to justify taking time away from things that actually pay the bills.

Congrats. Don't risk burnout by stretching yourself too thin though. A new full time gig is the perfect time to re-align your priorities and start to cut down on the side projects that are either too time consuming, annoying, or don't pay enough to justify taking time away from things that actually pay the bills.

Absolutely. Once upon a time I was playing hockey 2-3x a week, doing aerials 2-3x a week, teaching at RIT 2x a week, volunteering at the barn on Saturday mornings, doing freelance AND working full time. I about died. I said to my friend "something's gotta break" and little did I know it would be my leg that night at hockey... boy that slowed things down haha

I won't do that to myself again. If this pans out, I have to keep teaching at the studio, but I'll be able to say no to freelance I don't need/want. I get a lot of... odd stuff. And I do it because it's a buck. It'll be liberating to be able to turn some of that down. 

Phone interview at 4. If that goes well they'll bring me in. I'm over thinking everything. Doesn't help my voice is nearly gone today.. hope she doesn't mind my sexy Lauren Bacall croak... Thanks for all the kind wishes, guys.

Absolutely. Once upon a time I was playing hockey 2-3x a week, doing aerials 2-3x a week, teaching at RIT 2x a week, volunteering at the barn on Saturday mornings, doing freelance AND working full time. I about died. I said to my friend "something's gotta break" and little did I know it would be my leg that night at hockey... boy that slowed things down haha

I won't do that to myself again. If this pans out, I have to keep teaching at the studio, but I'll be able to say no to freelance I don't need/want. I get a lot of... odd stuff. And I do it because it's a buck. It'll be liberating to be able to turn some of that down. 

Phone interview at 4. If that goes well they'll bring me in. I'm over thinking everything. Doesn't help my voice is nearly gone today.. hope she doesn't mind my sexy Lauren Bacall croak... Thanks for all the kind wishes, guys.

Just relax and handle it like a conversation with a stranger whom you're getting to know, like a new classmate or a new neighbor or something.

<insert dancing Snoopy gif>

I love Spain.  What part are you in?

Southern Spain -- I took that photo today in Ronda, a great little town that spans an incredible gorge.

Puente-Nuevo-Ronda-1024x679.jpg

We're going to travel around to a couple of other towns this week and end up in Madrid. 

So far, so bueno.

Southern Spain -- I took that photo today in Ronda, a great little town that spans an incredible gorge.

We're going to travel around to a couple of other towns this week and end up in Madrid. 

So far, so bueno.

I almost asked if that was Ronda! Beautiful town. First bullfighting ring, too. On the trip up there, you can see Gibraltar and the coast of Africa on a clear day. 

Never thought about it in that context, but looking back on my last couple interviews that's exactly what I do. Good call.

Well that was fascinating. 

To summarize- I'm an anomaly and they have no idea what to do with me, but they're going to bring me in for a couple of weeks to work and learn about the company and such and after those two weeks, if I'm not absolutely bored to death (her words not mine), we'll go from there. 

Works for me! It's the foot in the door I need in that world. 

To summarize- I'm an anomaly and they have no idea what to do with me, but they're going to bring me in for a couple of weeks to work and learn about the company and such and after those two weeks, if I'm not absolutely bored to death (her words not mine), we'll go from there. 

:beer:

You and I, the two anomalies. It's like an X-Files episode.

Yes! Fcukin-A! Good for you.

You're awesome, Jo.  Go kill it!

To me it sounds like they may think that they’re not up to your skill level. If you’re not completely bored at the end of the two weeks then....giggidy!

Even if you are bored....LIE!

You and I, the two anomalies. It's like an X-Files episode.

I want to believe. 

Yeah, they actually said that they feel I'm too talented/experienced, but I feel that's incorrect- I'm a beast in what I do, but this job is not at all what I do. It's all new to me. She said "I'm used to interviewing the college grad, not the college professor". They don't think they need to do a further in person interview. Just gonna officially offer me a position and trial it out for a few weeks. 

To me it sounds like they may think that they’re not up to your skill level. If you’re not completely bored at the end of the two weeks then....giggidy!

Even if you are bored....LIE!

You got it. I'd rather be bored in a growing company with good people in it making a steady paycheck than fighting the road I've been fighting for awhile. If this is what I'm facing at a place where I have a connection, it makes sense that no one else has called me. I don't fit. But if I work here, I get those skills, should I find myself in a new town or something, I will then have an easier time finding a stable gig. 

So yep. Bout as positive as I could've hoped for! Even their lowest paygrade is probably 2 or 3 times what I'm making now! 

I want to believe. 

Yeah, they actually said that they feel I'm too talented/experienced, but I feel that's incorrect- I'm a beast in what I do, but this job is not at all what I do. It's all new to me. She said "I'm used to interviewing the college grad, not the college professor". They don't think they need to do a further in person interview. Just gonna officially offer me a position and trial it out for a few weeks. 

You got it. I'd rather be bored in a growing company with good people in it making a steady paycheck than fighting the road I've been fighting for awhile. If this is what I'm facing at a place where I have a connection, it makes sense that no one else has called me. I don't fit. But if I work here, I get those skills, should I find myself in a new town or something, I will then have an easier time finding a stable gig. 

So yep. Bout as positive as I could've hoped for! Even their lowest paygrade is probably 2 or 3 times what I'm making now! 

I've been away from SS for too long, so this is belated but CONGRATS, JO!!!!   Very much deserved.