Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

New toys are awesome.

I managed to convince the wife to let me buy another smoker. Our son graduates from high school in June. We're hosting the party in our backyard, and of course, we're catering it ourselves. We're billing it as Porkapalooza. And, conveniently enough, the old smoker isn't big enough to do this without multiple cook sessions and lots of freezer bags. So, seems like a good time to convince the wife that an upgrade in size is in order. Bought a Brinkmann vertical smoker. The cooking chamber is 20" in diameter and 50" tall. 5 shelves. She should hold 10 pork shoulders easily. It's got meat hooks on the top to hang sausages or hams, so I got that in my future. And I purchased an aftermarket gasket and latch kit to improve the seal. Can't wait to light her up this weekend.

20150526_201707_zpskjy0mc4g.jpg

Now you're just showing off.

And I'm soooooo jealous!

New toys are awesome.  

I managed to convince the wife to let me buy another smoker.  Our son graduates from high school in June.  We're hosting the party in our backyard, and of course, we're catering it ourselves.  We're billing it as Porkapalooza.  And, conveniently enough, the old smoker isn't big enough to do this without multiple cook sessions and lots of freezer bags.  So, seems like a good time to convince the wife that an upgrade in size is in order. Bought a Brinkmann vertical smoker.  The cooking chamber is 20" in diameter and 50" tall.  5 shelves.  She should hold 10 pork shoulders easily.  It's got meat hooks on the top to hang sausages or hams, so I got that in my future.  And I purchased an aftermarket gasket and latch kit to improve the seal.  Can't wait to light her up this weekend.

No way weave isn't woken up by this sound soon

It might even be me.

New toys are awesome.

I managed to convince the wife to let me buy another smoker. Our son graduates from high school in June. We're hosting the party in our backyard, and of course, we're catering it ourselves. We're billing it as Porkapalooza. And, conveniently enough, the old smoker isn't big enough to do this without multiple cook sessions and lots of freezer bags. So, seems like a good time to convince the wife that an upgrade in size is in order. Bought a Brinkmann vertical smoker. The cooking chamber is 20" in diameter and 50" tall. 5 shelves. She should hold 10 pork shoulders easily. It's got meat hooks on the top to hang sausages or hams, so I got that in my future. And I purchased an aftermarket gasket and latch kit to improve the seal. Can't wait to light her up this weekend.

Awesome.

I made ribs last weekend in my smoker, and they were outstanding, but looking at that beast makes me think I just popped one of my son's lean pockets into the microwave.

Nice score weave.  I've had the weber bullet type smoker before and now use a big green egg, but I've never used an offset smoker like you have there.  I'm sure it will be a bit of a learning curve getting it dialed in..but that's the fun of it all!

edit:

For anyone who doesn't want to spend extra cash on a dedicated smoker, and you have a regular old Weber kettle grill, then I highly recommend the smokenator.  A friend of mine has one and it puts out excellent ribs, pork butts, brisket etc..

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/smokenator_tips.html

Edited by Claude_Verret

I think one of the reasons I will probably always be a bachelor is that I'm looking for my Anne Meara. You saw her and Betty White still sharp and active all these years.....and you can't help but say..."sexy!". She took care of that little funny bastard.

I was debating pulling up some old videos, or reading your Dad's war story again.

By the way, anyone who wants to read something awesome.....

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20923-things-that-are-awesome/?p=587375

You're right.  Awesome and then some.  I read this when I got home from work last night.  Inspired, humbled, proud are just a few of the words I'll use to account for the time in my recliner last night.  PA...I salute and thank your Dad.  Nice work helping get this to paper. 

How much does one of those sell for?  I'm guessing I'd have to choose between that and fully furnishing one room of my house.

Not expensive at all.  Under $300.  You can get them through Home Depot's website.  They don't stock them in the stores though.

If you go this route, I highly recommend you buy a gasket and latch kit from bbqgaskets.com.  These designs are notorious for leaking around the doors.  The gasket and latch kit makes them much easier to get consistent temperature control.

IMO Brinkmann smokers are a fantastic value.  I'd relate them to Chevy small block V-8 engines.  They are a great base to build something really fantastic, and there is a decent cottage industry of parts to support the improvements.

Happy Birthday to you.

Happy Birthday to you.

Happy Birthday you blue cow with the PhD.

Happy Birthday to you.

Thank you good sir. Great BBQ last weekend with friends, good dinner and evening last night with the family...and a whole bunch of sitting inside today while it rains and is 45 degrees. 2/3 planned days working out isn't too bad :)

I'll put it here because the Darwin award candidate I saw this weekend was awesomely stupid.  I was driving on a busy highway yesterday and a teenage kid was riding his bike (bicycle) on the left shoulder.  Not only is it a busy road, but it's also undergoing a lot of road work so it's bumpy as hell.  I was in the left lane when I saw him and he was bouncing around and weaving due to the bumps.  I broke pretty hard, but I was convinced I was going to be the one to end that kid.

So wait, there's the awesome part, I didn't hit him.

I was just informed I'm getting a 3% pay raise, a small bonus (roughly 30%) of a two week pay check and a bonus vacation day. Better than I got last year (2% raise and 22% bonus with no bonus vacation hours) so I'll definitely take it.

You have to love getting more money, no matter what it is.  The bonus sounds like a nice touch.  I'd love to get one of those sometime, but they do take care of me pretty well right now, so I can't complain.  Our reviews just went through last week, but we don't know what we're getting yet.  They don't kick in until July.  Still, a slightly larger paycheck right at the same time where we are closing on our house is a welcomed sight.  Hopefully the wife gets a little increase too.

You have to love getting more money, no matter what it is.  The bonus sounds like a nice touch.  I'd love to get one of those sometime, but they do take care of me pretty well right now, so I can't complain.  Our reviews just went through last week, but we don't know what we're getting yet.  They don't kick in until July.  Still, a slightly larger paycheck right at the same time where we are closing on our house is a welcomed sight.  Hopefully the wife gets a little increase too.

Definitely. We usually get our inflation cola/pay bump of 1% in January (when the budget allows) and in June we usually get our merit raises/bumps and bonuses based on our previous period evaluations. Because of me switching jobs (promotion but in a completely different field) in Sept 2013 though and whatever HR rules regarding the time you have to be in a position before your supervisor can evaluate you, so I didn't get evaluated last year and I'm assuming I got whatever standard increases for my job position/description. I got a great review from my boss this past time though so I'm hoping for a steady stream of decent increases thanks to get good reviews from her until I either max out for my position or move on to another one.

Edited by Drunkard

Definitely. We usually get our inflation cola/pay bump of 1% in January (when the budget allows) and in June we usually get our merit raises/bumps and bonuses based on our previous period evaluations. Because of me switching jobs (promotion but in a completely different field) in Sept 2013 though and whatever HR rules regarding the time you have to be in a position before your supervisor can evaluate you, so I didn't get evaluated last year and I'm assuming I got whatever standard increases for my job position/description. I got a great review from my boss this past time though so I'm hoping for a steady stream of decent increases thanks to get good reviews from her until I either max out for my position or move on to another one.

I wasn't expecting anything this year since I started the new job back in August.  If anything, I'd get a prorated percentage based on the amount of time I was here.  I got a sizable increase in salary with this new job, so I didn't really need an increase.  But I am getting the full percentage (whatever it is), so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Thursday's choice should be easy, just take a look at your bank account.

In a weird timing event involving the structure of the sales contract for the house, and some significant new sales from my Wife's company, our account will not be moving in the traditional direction this week. I'm going to have to think long and hard for a post on thursday.