Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Blech. Sorry.

Haha, that was pretty great

Now THATs a city hall. Makes sense w/ Philly of course. Looked it up out of curiosity, it was built in the late 1800s, I would have assumed earlier. Pretty cool, though.

Yeah, my city (Toledo, Ohio) has kind of the middle ground on City Hall architecture. It's a "yep, classical influence, toss that dome up on top, keep it pretty boring and strict like the people inside aaaaand done"

Some of the itty bitty (what used to be railroad) towns dotting the rural areas have way cooler structures. 

20526373-city-hall-and-municipal-buildin

Yeah, my city (Toledo, Ohio) has kind of the middle ground on City Hall architecture. It's a "yep, classical influence, toss that dome up on top, keep it pretty boring and strict like the people inside aaaaand done"

Some of the itty bitty (what used to be railroad) towns dotting the rural areas have way cooler structures. 

That's not bad, other than the odd modern addition they put on the one side with really small windows. That looks like it's not even the same building! :)

The dome almost looks like a photoshop.  The size doesn't seem proportional to the rest of the building.

The dome almost looks like a photoshop.  The size doesn't seem proportional to the rest of the building.

haha who knows, they probably added it later. Just kinda sums up that whole town... Trying pretty hard, still ugly as sin. We're the Glass City. That sounds like a beautiful place to live. nope. 

haha who knows, they probably added it later. Just kinda sums up that whole town... Trying pretty hard, still ugly as sin. We're the Glass City. That sounds like a beautiful place to live. nope. 

The glass city?  Have they banned the throwing of rocks yet?

Bradford's new city hall is no great shakes, but the old one was something. It was left in terrible disrepair and was nearly razed before a heroic preservation effort recently. It now houses a VA clinic, professional offices and the like. They never can get the times to match on all four faces of the clock. Seems right. Living here sometimes seems like 2015 and sometimes 1915, or anywhere in between. And the bell is now ringing about four minutes early — just about time to reset it. 

post-136-0-76079900-1433451709_thumb.jpg

The comeback of the bald eagle seems fully complete. Many people don't seem to bat an eye at seeing one, or having one pointed out to them. Which is a good sign, all in all. I am not one of them. I still get a thrill.

Eagles have become common sights right here in town even. I looked out my back window a few days ago and in that sliver of a view, for a count of one-one thousand, two-one thousand, an eagle flew by, trailed closely by a small, darkish bird that was pestering the crap out of it. The eagle was unfazed, steady, bored.  The other bird was all "oogie, boogie, get outtttta here." It was Air Force One being trailed by a piper cub.

This was over the Tuna Creek next to the oil refinery. The older folks will tell you how badly the creek was polluted back in the day, from oil and gas drilling, oil refining, crude sewer systems... Apparently it's gotten better. The eagles are finding fish to eat, anyway.

The comeback of the bald eagle seems fully complete. Many people don't seem to bat an eye at seeing one, or having one pointed out to them. Which is a good sign, all in all. I am not one of them. I still get a thrill.

Eagles have become common sights right here in town even. I looked out my back window a few days ago and in that sliver of a view, for a count of one-one thousand, two-one thousand, an eagle flew by, trailed closely by a small, darkish bird that was pestering the crap out of it. The eagle was unfazed, steady, bored. The other bird was all "oogie, boogie, get outtttta here." It was Air Force One being trailed by a piper cub.

This was over the Tuna Creek next to the oil refinery. The older folks will tell you how badly the creek was polluted back in the day, from oil and gas drilling, oil refining, crude sewer systems... Apparently it's gotten better. The eagles are finding fish to eat, anyway.

I remember seeing my first bald eagle at a paintball field down there in Jim Thorpe. There are big power lines running up towards the back of the field and one has been calling a nest home there for years now. I look forward to seeing it every time I'm there.

Eagles have become common sights right here in town even. I looked out my back window a few days ago and in that sliver of a view, for a count of one-one thousand, two-one thousand, an eagle flew by, trailed closely by a small, darkish bird that was pestering the crap out of it. The eagle was unfazed, steady, bored.  The other bird was all "oogie, boogie, get outtttta here." It was Air Force One being trailed by a piper cub.

Where I live, bald eagles have always been plentiful.

I once counted 73 on the mud flats of the harbour at low tide from the deck at my dad's house. 

Watching them dive-bomb fish wasn't as common as you might think, but my favourite scene was when one would pluck an old bullhead and the crows would pester it as it headed for the trees. A handful would dart in and around until the eagle lost its grip on the fish, and another handful of the same murder would flit off to share the spoils.

Edited by dudacek

Where I live, bald eagles have always been plentiful.

I once counted 73 on the mud flats of the harbour at low tide from the deck at my dad's house. 

Watching them dive-bomb fish wasn't as common as you might think, but my favourite scene was when one would pluck an old bullhead and the crows would pester it as it headed for the trees. A handful would dart in and around until the eagle lost its grip on the fish, and another handful of the same murder would flit off to share the spoils.

A murder of crows.  Love it.

Awesome thing for me: down at the Harbor show tonight I saw Conner McDavid getting his Matt and Kim on with what I assume was a bunch of other prospects(maybe 5-10 of them). Two things I took away from it: 1) He's a freaking kid, which I guess I knew, but seeing him in the flesh made it so much more obvious. These guys we're putting so much faith in/pressure on are children. 2) Cool that these kids from all over that are going to be celebrities in a few years (or already practically are)  are having fun hanging out in Buffalo. And not just at some bar on Chippewa, like, enjoying the city. 

Getting his Matt and Kim on... I'll admit it, I have absolutely no clue what that means.

It looks something like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt-4y8iJTM_moKof3hHJqenG_sPT96UuXRwNxb-KvxH1uxIlnFgQ

http://www.buffalonews.com/storyimage/BN/20150429/GUSTO/150429001/AR/0/AR-150429001.jpg&MaxW=700

Edit: My work internet is blocking me from embedding the media. So click the links you last bastages!

Edited by Touched by Boyes

It looks something like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt-4y8iJTM_moKof3hHJqenG_sPT96UuXRwNxb-KvxH1uxIlnFgQ

http://www.buffalonews.com/storyimage/BN/20150429/GUSTO/150429001/AR/0/AR-150429001.jpg&MaxW=700

Edit: My work internet is blocking me from embedding the media. So click the links you last bastages!

Basically. (For reference, Matt and Kim were the band playing at the harbor last night)

In fact the first time I saw him his crew were all sitting on each others shoulders taking a picture, completely blocking my view, which I and my other grumpy-old-men friends complained about. Realized it was him after. Damn kids! 

Edited by sabills

Basically. (For reference, Matt and Kim were the band playing at the harbor last night)

In fact the first time I saw him his crew were all sitting on each others shoulders taking a picture, completely blocking my view, which I and my other grumpy-old-men friends complained about. Realized it was him after. Damn kids! 

Has the world officially run out of band names?

To be fair, its just the names of the two people in the band. But also, yes, apparently. The opening band was named "Bearstronaut".

Back in the mid 90s thanks to all the Backstreet Boys and Nsync idiocy, I wanted to start a band called Manband.  Of course, I had no musical talent whatsoever, but , I liked the name.  Anything to mock that annoying trend was good by my book.