Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

The comeback of the bald eagle seems fully complete. Many people don't seem to bat an eye at seeing one, or having one pointed out to them. Which is a good sign, all in all. I am not one of them. I still get a thrill.

Eagles have become common sights right here in town even. I looked out my back window a few days ago and in that sliver of a view, for a count of one-one thousand, two-one thousand, an eagle flew by, trailed closely by a small, darkish bird that was pestering the crap out of it. The eagle was unfazed, steady, bored.  The other bird was all "oogie, boogie, get outtttta here." It was Air Force One being trailed by a piper cub.

This was over the Tuna Creek next to the oil refinery. The older folks will tell you how badly the creek was polluted back in the day, from oil and gas drilling, oil refining, crude sewer systems... Apparently it's gotten better. The eagles are finding fish to eat, anyway.

I stil lget a kick out seeing one.  My fiance saw one for the first time as we were driving down the East side of Cayuga Lake 2 weeks ago.  We were just passing thru Aurora and it was near a little inlet.  I slowed down as some people were taking photographs standing on the side of the road.  When I realized what it was I came to a complete stop and made her get out.  She was clueless up until it took flight.  Amazing creatures they are.  She was so pumped, it was all she talked about the rest of the car ride. 

My neighbor has a few 4H classes going on at her property. She is doing a cooking class and thought it would be nice to have a big garden so the kids can grow their own food to cook. I've been taking my tractor, plow and cultivators up for the last 3 weeks and have a pretty nice plot all set for them. I just get home from work so I'm filthy, stinky and tired and there's this knock at the door. I abandon my plan to shower temporarily and answer it. There are three little kids standing there each with something in their hand. They are all deer in the headlights, staring at me. No one says a word. The boy(obviously the youngest of the bunch) finally says "geez Tara!" (She was the oldest and I'm guessing the elected spokesman for the group and is still just staring) "we came to thank you for the garden, mister!" The other two snap out of it and all three give me the hand made cards they brought over. Very cute. Very awesome that there are some kids that can find an interest in something other than a screen.

I am proud that I could help them. I wonder if they will bring me some of that food they eventually cook?

My neighbor has a few 4H classes going on at her property. She is doing a cooking class and thought it would be nice to have a big garden so the kids can grow their own food to cook. I've been taking my tractor, plow and cultivators up for the last 3 weeks and have a pretty nice plot all set for them. I just get home from work so I'm filthy, stinky and tired and there's this knock at the door. I abandon my plan to shower temporarily and answer it. There are three little kids standing there each with something in their hand. They are all deer in the headlights, staring at me. No one says a word. The boy(obviously the youngest of the bunch) finally says "geez Tara!" (She was the oldest and I'm guessing the elected spokesman for the group and is still just staring) "we came to thank you for the garden, mister!" The other two snap out of it and all three give me the hand made cards they brought over. Very cute. Very awesome that there are some kids that can find an interest in something other than a screen.

I am proud that I could help them. I wonder if they will bring me some of that food they eventually cook?

That is very cool, indeed.  You must've been quite a sight between the dirt and the lack of hair.  ;)

That is very cool, indeed. You must've been quite a sight between the dirt and the lack of hair. ;)

I chatted with the younger two a bit about whatcha growin? How's the class? The poor older girl never did say a word. She eventually did close her mouth and smile. She even nodded when I wished them good luck. Maybe she's seen Gotham?

Good man.

This is, indeed, what it's all about.

You sir are a good man.

Very cool. 

This place is awesome.  Thanks all for the b-day wishes!  (Friday thread is locked and I checked out early yesterday.)  Had a great night out with friends and only paid for it the first half of today, lol.

Edited by biodork

A couple years ago I mistakenly got an email from Londonberry Dodge in Edmonton about a truck. The Matt that was buying it must have given the wrong email or whatever. Anyways, a couple weeks ago I get another email from them about something or other. I replied:

Hi Nathan, this email has reached me in error; I guess someone mistakenly put my email into a form. I remember getting a few other emails from you guys that were directed at someone with a similar name to me. Plus, being from Buffalo I'm pretty miffed at the entire city of Edmonton right now. I hope to see Buffalo sweep Edmonton in the Stanley Cup Finals in a few years. :)

Have a great Friday!

At least I got a chuckle out of it:

Hahahahahahahaha... Good luck with that.

I'll remove your email from our records.

Cheers :-)

Awesome thing for me: down at the Harbor show tonight I saw Conner McDavid getting his Matt and Kim on with what I assume was a bunch of other prospects(maybe 5-10 of them). Two things I took away from it: 1) He's a freaking kid, which I guess I knew, but seeing him in the flesh made it so much more obvious. 

nice work, there. you are so right: they are *kids*. just kids. hard to get past that, the older i get.

Getting his Matt and Kim on... I'll admit it, I have absolutely no clue what that means.

they have brooklyn hipster credentials. also, they WON the "harlem shake" thing a few years ago. no one had a better one. filmed in the RIT "barn," i believe.

Where I live, bald eagles have always been plentiful.

when i visited alaska years ago, they were legitimately viewed as something akin to pigeons by the locals - in terms of their numbers and nuisance value.

not for me. and probably never. they're still something to behold.

nice work, there. you are so right: they are *kids*. just kids. hard to get past that, the older i get.

they have brooklyn hipster credentials. also, they WON the "harlem shake" thing a few years ago. no one had a better one. filmed in the RIT "barn," i believe.

when i visited alaska years ago, they were legitimately viewed as something akin to pigeons by the locals - in terms of their numbers and nuisance value.

not for me. and probably never. they're still something to behold.

I don't know where that is but it ain't RIT

If anyone needs to cry because something's happy, here's a video that'll probably go viral soon. Dog was a quadriplegic and after 3 months of rehab, can walk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=23&v=VGWt3i7i1co

edit: and as usual, I have 0 clue how to get the dang video to embed properly. Tried https, tried http, ah screw it, click the link. 

Also, in things that are awesome, we have a gofundme page where we're trying to raise enough money to get new fences at the horse rescue. Myself and the two other regular volunteers spent the whole winter fiddling with the damn things with bare hands in negative windchills and waist deep snow.

The awesome bit is, someone stepped forward to match the first 1k in donations. We're almost to the 1k point, which means 2k! We made a lot at a barn sale this last weekend too. It's still a long shot but it's looking more and more possible every day. We moved to the new farm last fall and struggled hard through the winter- everything was old, our electric fencing stopped working, our water hydrant that didn't freeze got stripped somehow, and we had some emergency rescue cases that put us at 15 horses- when our max is usually 12 (luckily couple of those are minis, so, 13 and two half sizes?)

... it was pretty hellish. I'm just so happy that things are improving as quickly as they are!! 

Edited by Josie914

If anyone needs to cry because something's happy, here's a video that'll probably go viral soon. Dog was a quadriplegic and after 3 months of rehab, can walk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=23&v=VGWt3i7i1co

edit: and as usual, I have 0 clue how to get the dang video to embed properly. Tried https, tried http, ah screw it, click the link. 

Also, in things that are awesome, we have a gofundme page where we're trying to raise enough money to get new fences at the horse rescue. Myself and the two other regular volunteers spent the whole winter fiddling with the damn things with bare hands in negative windchills and waist deep snow.

The awesome bit is, someone stepped forward to match the first 1k in donations. We're almost to the 1k point, which means 2k! We made a lot at a barn sale this last weekend too. It's still a long shot but it's looking more and more possible every day. We moved to the new farm last fall and struggled hard through the winter- everything was old, our electric fencing stopped working, our water hydrant that didn't freeze got stripped somehow, and we had some emergency rescue cases that put us at 15 horses- when our max is usually 12 (luckily couple of those are minis, so, 13 and two half sizes?)

... it was pretty hellish. I'm just so happy that things are improving as quickly as they are!! 

go fund me link?

go fund me link?

Here it is! 

http://www.gofundme.com/v2fup5d

My mum and sister surprised me by donating yesterday. Pretty dang awesome.

I don't expect us to get anywhere near the total amount on that site- but if we make the 1k, that's 2k for sure in the bank. We're starting another round of fencing today actually, putting up some sight boards along route 15A.