Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I admire your commitment to sacrifice. Peace.

Bio. I am glad that you have two opportunities. You are one of the most thoughtful posters here. I am confident that you will chose wisely. Good luck!

Why thank you, kind sir!  :)

So a woman will be featured on the $10 starting in 2020. Unfortunately they can get TOO crazy and let a woman stand on her own on American currency (which hasn't happened since the 1800s). They're going to either feature a woman alongside Alexander Hamilton or have two different $10 bills.

The obvious names many are floating around are Rosa Parks, Hariet Tubman and Eleanor Roosevelt.

We've got the $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, penny, nickel, dime and quarter are our common currency (there are others but those are the commonly seen ones).

There's been a push for years and years to completely rethink our currency. Many believe it would revitalize the economy to create a more attractive set of bills. The idea is that people will be more appealing to see, hold and use something that they enjoy looking at... Keep the money flowing. If they were to do that they should revamp the faces, too.

I'm thinking the three ladies named above should all be one something. Then Abe Lincoln is a lock on another. I don't think they should be afraid to go outside of politics, either. People like Babe Ruth, Arthur Ashe should be considered, too. I almost named Billie Jean King and Ali but the law states the person on the bill must be dead. Martin Luther King Jr is another consideration.

This is all just fun and speculated because it'll never happen.

Edited by Hoss

I had to sit through a church class this past weekend about being a godparent (don't ask).  The guy teaching it looked just like Chris Farley.  He even had a striped polo shirt that looked like it was straight out of Tommy Boy.

If you are a bad god-dad like me, you'll be living in a van down by the river. 

So a woman will be featured on the $10 starting in 2020. Unfortunately they can get TOO crazy and let a woman stand on her own on American currency (which hasn't happened since the 1800s). They're going to either feature a woman alongside Alexander Hamilton or have two different $10 bills.

The obvious names many are floating around are Rosa Parks, Hariet Tubman and Eleanor Roosevelt.

We've got the $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, penny, nickel, dime and quarter are our common currency (there are others but those are the commonly seen ones).

There's been a push for years and years to completely rethink our currency. Many believe it would revitalize the economy to create a more attractive set of bills. The idea is that people will be more appealing to see, hold and use something that they enjoy looking at... Keep the money flowing. If they were to do that they should revamp the faces, too.

I'm thinking the three ladies named above should all be one something. Then Abe Lincoln is a lock on another. I don't think they should be afraid to go outside of politics, either. People like Babe Ruth, Arthur Ashe should be considered, too. I almost named Billie Jean King and Ali but the law states the person on the bill must be dead. Martin Luther King Jr is another consideration.

This is all just fun and speculated because it'll never happen.

So they're taking the guy the started our banking system off of the currency and keeping one of our worst Presidents on the $50? Makes perfect sense. :wacko:

(Not even going to touch the thought about how if the currency looked nicer the economy would improve.)

PS - Congrats to Bio. :beer:

So they're taking the guy the started our banking system off of the currency and keeping one of our worst Presidents on the $50? Makes perfect sense. :wacko:

(Not even going to touch the thought about how if the currency looked nicer the economy would improve.)

I am. I simply must know who the hell reached that conclusion and how they got there. Seriously Hoss, who are these many people?

I am. I simply must know who the hell reached that conclusion and how they got there. Seriously Hoss, who are these many people?

There was a project by a group of economists who studied economies around the time of currency redesigns and it showed pretty strongly that people were using cash and money was flowing more often for a while after. Most of the time it slowed back down but the momentary jump was always seen as definitively beneficial.

I wrote a paper on it after I saw a CNN report on it and the actual report. I just looked for about 20 seconds and couldn't find it but you're more than welcome to look.

Jackson should be gone, too. His claims to fame involve: winning a battle after a war was over, the near genocide of the Native Americans in the east, and that one time he didn't get shot because a gun malfunctioned. 

Edited by sabills

There was a project by a group of economists who studied economies around the time of currency redesigns and it showed pretty strongly that people were using cash and money was flowing more often for a while after. Most of the time it slowed back down but the momentary jump was always seen as definitively beneficial.

I wrote a paper on it after I saw a CNN report on it and the actual report. I just looked for about 20 seconds and couldn't find it but you're more than welcome to look.

I'll have to try to find that. Would love to see the methodology used. Maybe our resident economist (I know he's micro, not macro, but still) could offer some insight?

My brother in law made the cut and will be playing this weekend at the US Open.  He lost his PGA tour card this year and has been playing on the Web.com tour, but he got into the US open through sectional qualifying a few weeks ago.  He's currently at +4, but if he makes a run maybe he'll get a bit of air time today or tomorrow.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/19/manoticks-brad-fritsch-will-have-to-wait-and-see-if-he-makes-cut-at-us-open

My brother in law made the cut and will be playing this weekend at the US Open.  He lost his PGA tour card this year and has been playing on the Web.com tour, but he got into the US open through sectional qualifying a few weeks ago.  He's currently at +4, but if he makes a run maybe he'll get a bit of air time today or tomorrow.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/19/manoticks-brad-fritsch-will-have-to-wait-and-see-if-he-makes-cut-at-us-open

Very cool.

That's great.

This should probably go in the other sports thread, but why does the topic of steriods never come up when talking about Tiger Woods? He conveniently announces that he is taking a year hiatus a couple of months before the PGA announces that they are going to start testing, and he hasn't even remotely been the same player since. It's a little curious to me.

That's great.

This should probably go in the other sports thread, but why does the topic of steriods never come up when talking about Tiger Woods? He conveniently announces that he is taking a year hiatus a couple of months before the PGA announces that they are going to start testing, and he hasn't even remotely been the same player since. It's a little curious to me.

Its been talked about, but not nearly to the extent that Barry Bonds and Mark Maguire were speculated about prior to the evidence showing up.  I think the folks that cover golf are too deeply tied into the PGA and USGA to risk making it a real conversation.

That's great.

Probably because it coincides perfectly with his personal life going to hell, and most people are comfortable attributing blame to that.